Making a Nightmare Before Christmas Yarn Wreath

Category Decorations
For the fans of this popular movie, you can make a Halloween wreath using decorative elements from the film. This is a guide about making a Nightmare Before Christmas yarn wreath.

I love the Nightmare Before Christmas, but can't seem to find many themed decorations that I like. So I decided to make this wreath for Halloween...it came out better than I expected!

• 16 in foam wreath (or larger)
  • collar template (see below)
  • black yarn
  • white yarn
  • fabric scraps
  • buttons
  • circle templates (for yo yos)
  • foam ball (smooth surface kind)
  • wire edge ribbon
  • floral wire
  • stiff black felt
  • stiff white felt
  • black paint pen
  • hot glue gun
  • needle and thread

Click here to download a PDF template for this craft.

1. Segment off your wreath into 8 sections and mark them with a pen.
  2. Ad

3. Attach the black yarn at the back of the wreath at on of the marks. Then begin wrapping the yarn around the wreath making sure to overlap as necessary for full coverage. When you get to the next mark apply hot glue and adhere the yarn. Cut off any excess yarn.
  4. Now attach the white yarn at the back of the wreath and wrap that section. Repeat, alternating colors until you have covered the whole wreath.
  5. Ad

6. Draw Jack's face onto the foam ball with a pen. Then trace over it with the paint pen. Allow to dry completely.
  7. Use the attached template to create Jack's collar. Cut out bat wings and head from black felt. Cut out the eyes from white felt.
  8. Ad

9. Glue eyes to bat head, then glue head to the center of the wings.
  10. Cut out a small piece of felt and glue it to the back of the collar, sandwiching a piece of wire in between. You will use the wire to attach the collar to the bow and to the wreath.
  11. Ad

12. Create a bow with wire edge ribbon. Use floral wire to hold it together. Attach the collar to the bow.
  13. Cut two lengths of wire. Glue a piece of white felt to the bottom of the foam head, sandwiching the wire in between.
  14. Attach Jack's head and the bow to the wreath. Twist the ends of the wire tightly against the wreath to keep them from catching on things.
  15. Make yo yos in various sizes, in colors that you like. Click here for instructions for making yo yos. Sew buttons to the centers. Arrange the yo yos to your liking, then glue them into place with hot glue.
  16. Glue a loop of yarn to the back of the wreath at the top, to use as a hanger. You can glue a piece of white felt over the knot on the loop for added security.

Videos

I love the movie The Nightmare Before Christmas and I wanted to have some Halloween decorations that I could use year after year, this is what I came up with.