Prolonging The Life Of Your Jack-O'-Lantern

There are some ways to keep that Halloween jack-o'-lantern fresh longer. This is a guide about prolonging the life of your jack-o'-lantern.

It is Jack-o-Lantern time! I always wait until the last minute to carve my pumpkin because it seems like it starts to rot the next day. I saw a special on TV where they immerse the cut pumpkin in a solution of water and bleach. You keep it in for a while and make sure it gets submerged and every cut surface is treated. Let it drain for a while. Just make sure you wear old clothes and use plastic gloves. I think Rubbermaid would be the best. I don't know the percentage of bleach to water, or how long to keep in the liquid. Before I have tried using salt and water or vinegar but the pumps didn't last any longer.

Source: TV special Extreme Hallowe'en I think it was

Combine equal parts of white vinegar and water in a spray bottle, shake and spray all cut areas of your pumpkins and they will not get soft, rot, or shrink for a long time.

Source: My friend Cheri sent it to me

By Connie from Las Vegas, NV

To prolong the life of your jack-o-lantern after making the cuts, coat the cuts with petroleum jelly.

Source: Backyard Living magazine.

By Elaine from IA