Serving Alcohol at a Wedding

Category Planning
Deciding whether or not to have alcohol at your reception can make quite a difference in the cost of beverages. This guide is about serving alcohol at a wedding.

My wedding tip is to provide complimentary beverages at a wedding, including alcohol. Beer and wine are fine, and if your budget allows, a full bar. The other point I'd like to stress is to have the beverages available as soon as the guests arrive. This way, everyone starts relaxing and having fun and there's less stress all the way around. The tackiest thing in the world is to expect your guests to pay for beverages at your wedding. They're your guests.

Once everyone's comfortable and chatting with drink in hand, they're suddenly happy they took the time to dress up, drive, and buy you a present. They're chatting with old friends and family members, and everyone's glowing - not just the self-possessed bride! It turns your event into something to be remembered. Obviously no one should be allowed to get drunk and obnoxious, I'm not suggesting that - but a glass of wine or a glass of beer is certainly a good starting point for a festive occasion. One family wedding we went to had a bar where guests were expected to pay - outrageous prices, too, like $8.50 for a crumby glass of wine. Hard liquor was $10+. Everyone I knew hated that, they were bitching under their breath the whole time.

Wow, talk about tacky. Anyone who grumbles that a party "isn't good enough" for them ought not to be invited. In my world the party giver decides what she is going to serve her guests; if that's not good enough, too bad. I'm opposed to providing alcohol at big events, especially as you are financially liable if your drunk guest goes out and causes havoc. And who wants to police and "shut off" relatives and friends during your big day? Also, open bars can run thousands of dollars.

You're supposed to be celebrating your loved one's big day. A wedding is not a "I have to provide free drinks for all of my guests so they'll decide to grace me with their presence" party. And alcohol, cubangirl is very expensive, especially if you're not throwing the party in your backyard. Forget about it. I'm so tired of people who only go to weddings because they think they'll get free alcohol. Do your "friends" a favor and stay home.

My niece had a wedding for 200 people last fall, with an open bar. My sister started buying the liquor a bottle or 2 per week until the big day came a year later. It hurt a lot less that way financially.

Source: My sister

By Jaye N. from Orlando, FL

I am getting married next year in the summer and I don't want to have a sit down reception. I am planning on having a Cocktail Reception for 250 guests following the ceremony in a church dining hall which will start about 1:30-2:00 pm. My finance and I are on a very tight budget and we are looking for ways to cut cost while having a very nice and elegant cocktail reception serving only appetizers.

Our budget is $500 to $1000 dollars for different types of appetizers (veggie trays, fruit trays, meatballs, cookies, nuts, bacon wraps, punch, accessories to make the food look nice, etc.), you know the types of food served at cocktail receptions. Is this a good dollar amount to feed 250 people in the early afternoon? I welcome ideas of recent receptions held this year or what some brides are doing for next year. I am worried that it will not be enough food to feed 250 people.

By Shelly36 from New York, NY

If it's truly a "cocktail" reception, another tricky cost is alcohol. A tip? If you have a Trader Joe's near you, ask their wine buyer to suggest several bottles in the $5 range. TJ's is very frugal and we were able to find a red, white and a sparkling wine/champagne we liked. We bought them by the case, but could return unopened bottles with no issue. To simplify things, you could consider serving ONLY champagne, It's elegant and guests tend to drink less of it.

I helped a friend do a reception and no one ever knew it was not catered. A group of us got together and planned the food and when we would prepare it.

We prepared everything in the church kitchen so we had plenty of room to work. We made beautiful veggie baskets(, salads, cooked up hams and roast beef & made finger salad sandwiches (make the filling several days in advance so you just have to spread it on the night before & order pullman loaves from the bakery as they make a better looking finger sandwich). We also made an assortment of fancy cookies and petite cakes (You may be able to freeze some of this stuff after it is prepared). We had an absolute blast preparing everything and it goes really fast when you have help. As for napkins and plates, some dollar stores carry colored plates & napkins and you could use a rainbow of colors. Best wishes & good luck. PS watch for sales on things you can buy in advance. You have allowed plenty of time for planning.

Your biggest expense is going to be the alcohol. There was a good suggestion by mymagicworld. Try to get the best bargain you can on the booze and you should be OK on the rest. There were a lot of good suggestions from everyone. Also check Oriental Trading Co. They have a lot of good buys too on things you may need. You have a lot of time to start stockpiling a lot of things and comparing prices. Good luck and best wishes!

I also catered my own wedding reception from Sam's Club.

I recommend putting your hot food on the table last so that guests won't load up their plates with the more expensive food first. This strategy worked well for both my and my good friend's wedding.

My food included:

Hot: - cocktail meatballs (bought frozen, made our own sauce)

- mini crab cakes (frozen)

- mini bread bowls with a bacon/tomato cheese mixture (frozen)

Cold: - cubed cheese (bought in 3 lb. pkgs. already cubed, and froze the leftovers -- was great in casseroles for months after the wedding!)

- cracker assortment

- veggie trays

- spinach dip

Sweet: - Mixed frozen fruit, thawed (so much cheaper than a fruit tray, and we served it from a punch bowl to be more elegant with fruit dip on the side)

- Mini fruit tartlets (frozen)

- Cream puffs (frozen)

For beverages, we had golden punch made by my mother and cold sweet iced tea from a silver urn that we borrowed. We didn't serve alcohol, but I would certainly recommend a limited selection for your budget's sake.

Clear forks, plates, and punch cups were also purchased from Sam's Club. Borrow as many "accessories" as you can: platters, small glass bowls for dip, table clothes, greenery, etc.

I also would have ordered fewer printed napkins and instead alternated them with color-coordinating, same-size napkins from Dollar Tree.

Thank you all so much for your feedback! They are extremely helpful for me. I am so appreciative and do welcome more ideas! (smile) One thing I must say is there will be no alcohol there. Only Punch, sweet tea, coffe, tea etc. My fiance and I don't drink. (smile) So that expense wouldn't be neccessary in the budget. :-) For the toasting we will do Sparkling Cider. Anymore ideas I am open to saving a buck!

You really have to be realistic about the budget. Unless you want to be serving your 250 guests food from a potluck, try to do things simply but elegantly. My fiance' and I will be having our wedding next spring for approx. 50 guests. We have estimated a budget of $1000 for the tent, tables and food. Start "Googling" for recipes for homemade slice-and-bake crackers (Parmesan and rosemary, cheddar and chipolte, etc.). Not only can your make them in advance, but they are inexpensive.

Fresh fruit, cheeses and crackers are very inexpensive from places like Sam's and Costco. Olives roasted in wine (use the bag-in-box!) and fresh herbs can be reasonable if you have friends with fresh herbs in their gardens.

Watch for sales on ground beef to make different types of cocktail meatballs that can be served in chafing dish set-ups that are very inexpensive at places like Ocean State Job Lot or local dollar stores. (Don't forget that they can also be made weeks in advance, frozen and warmed in a microwave shortly before serving). Bargains on cheese are always available and some cheeses can be frozen. We are planning a summer wedding and realized that a few nicely done sangrias would be lovely light beverages instead of utilizing an expensive and varied bar.

A family favorite: Orzo Salad with salad-sized shrimp, herbs, seasonal chopped veggies and homemade vinaigrette. One pound of orzo cooks up to a massive amount of pasta that can be flavored many ways! Best of luck!

$200 should do it. You can make all items in advance (or "volunteers" if you are doing other bride things) and put them in the church refrigerator. Just have some church ladies make the punch and keep it coming, and be responsible for refilling the buffet. You can set up the table as you like it. Boxes under table clothes serve to vary the elevation of appetizers offered and flowers and candles add to the display.

No matter what you serve, get prices now, and think in terms of what the cost per person is. Ask yourself how much you would eat and see how much it would cost to serve yourself. Don't forget to include paper products, flowers, etc. Lots of hors d'oiuevres can be made ahead and frozen, or purchased ahead from the frozen aisle. It's a good way to spread out the cost. If you are doing this entirely on your own, remember that meat is the most expensive food, so be creative with those ideas.

A good thing to do is enlist the help of high school or college age kids who are in training or even adults. Just like when people go to the cosmetology colleges to get beauty services, look for someone who needs the training and get them to help you out. Many people who are good with food will have ideas about streaching a few ingredients into several dishes.

You can also get servers and photographers this way. A professional does not always fit into the budget, so start asking everyone around you. A cousin may have a friend who is a genius and making cheao canapes. And someone always knows a creative genius that can do the decorating for cheap, or even free as a favor, that could be their wedding gift to you. Just don't be afraid to ask.

I did a reception just like this. This past summer we did a simple salmon salad, tuna salad, and pasta salad to go with these other items. The one thing you do not want to do is put full size plates use the smaller plates then people are encouraged to get a little of each and come back after everyone has been through the line once. I have worked as a part time assistant over the years for catering events and this can be done if you are polite and respectful, never stop smiling,and never show you are flustered.