AdviceWeddings

A "Do It Yourself" Wedding For Less Than $600

When my oldest son married I knew that his fiancee been away from home for years and the expense of the wedding was pretty much up to them. Being the frugal Mom I am I went to bat.

She and I went shopping and found silk flowers for bouquets, corsages, candles, all the reception supplies, and ribbon. It took some work but I made her bouquet, 4 Bridesmaids bouquets, 6 corsages, 8 bouteniers, the pew bows, table decorations, 2 ring bearer pillows, 2 flower girl baskets, 2 Large centerpieces to go on pillars, a covered guest book and 4 handmade bridesmaids dresses.

The point I'm making is this: When you know you don't have a fortune to spend but you want a nice wedding to be proud of, Do IT YOURSELF. Use your talents and skills, don't hire people to do it. Tallying the reciepts I realized we had pulled it off for less than $600.

By Sharon KY

bridesmaiddress.jpg

And the best wedding present the bride received was her new mother-in-law!

I'd like to comment on this also. When my sister got married 2 years ago, we did everything and anything ourselves. I created the invitations with RSVP's, which people had asked where she got them done at because they looked so nice! My mother created the bridal bouqet and pew flowers/bows, which were absolutely gorgeous! My sister and I created the bridesmaids flowers, as well as the wedding program that was handed out at the church. It had a photograph of the couple on the front, which made it very unique. A nice thing my sister did was put notes of thanks on the back cover, thanking everyone who put their talents to use. Not only was it a Thank You, but she specifically told guests in her thank you what each person had contributed to their wedding. (I thought that was very thoughtful!) At the wedding and reception, I took most of the photographs. A friend took the ceremony pics since I was also maid-of-honor!! A beautiful, inexpensive wedding can be done with a little creativity and ingenuity!

Sharon, I would love to see more of the wedding photos. What did the bride do for a dress and what was your reception like?

Good job!

The Bride actually chose to wear Blue rather than traditional white as she had a child.She wasn't MY daughter so I kept my mouth shut.She chose a plain Dress so I did talk her into letting me embellish the neckline and add sequins and sewed embellishments on the bottom of the skirt to show through the blue net. I did buy matching blue net to make her a veil and used a small tiara. The reception was her Mother's choosing.I furnished the supplies,did the cake but I tried to stay out of it and let her family do it.Frankly, I was disappointed in it. Many of the things I had to decorate with were never used.But I put on a smile and never let it show.This was THEIR DAY!! And by this time my stress level was pretty high anyway. For her first Christmas he bought her a beautiful curio cabinet and it makes me proud to see all the beautiful things she kept that were made possible because I did everything within my power to help her have the nice wedding she wanted. ... View related article.

I have wedding planners that are giving me decorating ideas that are breaking my budget I set. What is an idea for pretty centerpieces for a spring wedding that I can take to them to save some $?