Wedding CakeWeddings

Stacking a Tiered Cake Without Columns

How do I go about stacking a 3 tier wedding cake, without columns, so the heavy layers won't sink into each other?

By Karen from Sun City, AZ

There are instructions with photos here:

http://www.wilt  construction.cfm

I use this method to stack my cakes and it works great! :)

All you need to do is cut 4 dowels the depth of the bottom layer, and 3 more the depth of the two bottom layers. Sharpen the 3 longer dowels so they will pierce the cardboard circle under the second layer. Insert the 4 dowels in the bottom layer, spaced evenly. Place the second layer on top of the bottom layer, insert the 3 pointed dowels through the second and bottom layers, spacing them so they are between the 4 already in place. Place the top layer on the cake. I have used this method many times.

This is a bit tricky and not always that stable, as the dowels tend to twist if they are not screwed together. I cut 4 dowels about an inch or two higher than the bottom cake, then I used a hard piece of wood, sometimes called veneer, as the base. I cut 4 1" squares as legs, then I screwed the legs up from the bottom through the veneer into the dowel. For the second layer, I cut 4 more 1" x 1 1/2" squares, drilled holes to insert the dowels, screwed them through the bottom of the second base and into the dowel.

The problem with this method is that you have to assemble the bottom and second layer, then lower the cakes onto the dowels. The cakes on the bottom and second layer will not come off the bases. This was not a problem for the cake I made. But if this is for you, might try drilling the hole in the legs and just wedging the dowels into them, this way they can be taken apart. Start as far out on the bottom layer, and make your way in for the second layer and so on. Hope this gives you an idea of how this works. If you figure out another way please post it, because this was just a pain in my day.