Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Bleach Bottle Santa

Clean plastic bleach and detergent bottles are great to use in craft projects. Make this cute Santa for the holidays. This is a guide about making a bleach bottle Santa.

Solutions: Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Bleach Bottle Santa Door Decoration

A bleach bottle Santa craft.This is a cute, unique Christmas door decoration that can be made without too much bother or artistic ability. It recycles that empty bleach bottle, too. I've gotten lots of comments about how cute he is.

Materials

• 1 white bleach bottle
  • 1-2 skeins white yarn
  • 41 white pipe cleaners
  • Red felt
  • Flesh colored felt
  • 2 google eyes
  • 1 red 1/2 inch pompom
  • Scissors
  • Ice pick or nail to punch holes
  • Glue

Instructions

First remove the label from an empty and clean bleach bottle. Then using scissors or an Exacto knife cut the bleach bottle in half length wise through the handle so that each half has half of the handle and half of the spout.

Make the hat. Cut the red felt into two triangular pieces with a base of 9 1/2 inches and height of 15 inches. Sew the long edges together and then turn the stitched side in. Cut 9 pieces of yarn 4 1/2 inches long. Fold the yarn pieces in half. Place the looped end on the tip end of the hat with the loop extending about 1/2 inch on to the tip. Tie in place with another short piece of yarn. Glue the hat in place along the side to side seam line on the outside of the bottle.

Next make the hair and beard. You will be making 41 looped yarn pieces. The measurements are for the length of the loop not the length of the yarn piece needed.

You will need:

• Quantity - Size
  • 10 - 12 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 10 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 9 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 8 inch loop pieces
  • 3 - 7 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 6 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 4 inch loop pieces
  • 2 - 5 inch loop pieces
  • 16 - 2 1/2 inch loop pieces

Make the loops by winding the yarn around something the correct length or by folding back and forth using 20 loops for each. Secure in the center of the loops with one pipe cleaner, twisting to hold tightly.

Now punch 7 holes about 1/2 inch apart, 1/2 inch from the edge, down the sides of the bottle. Punch ten holes across the bottom of the bottle about 1 1/4 inches from the bottom. Punch 16 holes across the middle of the bottle directly under the bottom edge of the hat. A drawing of a bleach bottle to show where to make holes.

Make the face. Glue the flesh colored felt to the bottle between the bottom of the hat and the holes on the bottom and sides. Cut to fit. You may do the next steps of making the face now or wait until you've attached the hair. Glue the pompom 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the bottom of the hat and 4 3/4 inches from the side edges for the nose. Glue the two google eyes above and to each side of the nose. Cut three circles of red felt one inch in diameter. I used a water bottle lid as a pattern. Glue one on each side of the nose for cheeks and one 1/2 inch below the nose for the mouth. Punch a hole under the nose between the nose and mouth. Insert one of the 7 inch yarn loops here for the mustache.

Now do the hair and beard. Insert one of the 2 1/2 inch loops in each of the 16 holes under the bottom edge of the hat. Twist the ends together in the back. Starting with the 4 inch loop going down the sides, put first the 4 inch then 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,and finally the 10 inch loops in each of the 7 side holes on each side of the face. Now insert the ten 12 inch loops in the ten holes across the bottom.

You need some way to hang your Santa. I sewed a cafe curtain ring to the back top of the hat. You could just sew on a yarn loop.

Now you have a cute Santa for your door to welcome your friends!

By Kim D.

By Kim Davis

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Making a Bleach Bottle Santa.

Question: Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

Thank you for sharing your instructions on how to make the bleach bottle Santa. What size bleach bottle does one use and what size yarn ( I know nothing about yarn)? Thank you for your time.

By Diane B

Question: Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

By Diane B

Question: Bleach Bottle Mrs. Claus

I have made several Santa Claus projects. What I would like to know is how do I make a Mrs. Santa Claus from a bleach bottle?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

By Charlotte

Most Recent Answer

11/30/2012

Make a Santa out of an old bleach bottle, an easy Christmas project for kids!
= Kid Tested!
You will need:
1 bleach bottle
white yarn
12 by 12 flesh felt
glue
2 eyes (black felt, buttons, or googly eyes)
Tool to make small holes in plastic bottle
Wire
1/4 yard of red material
14 inches of curly chenille
Any material for a ladies collar
Step 1: Cut the bottle in half. First make the man Santa. You decide the size of face you want and make a circle with a pencil.
Step 2: Make plenty of holes all around the circle.

Step 3: Cut the flesh felt in a circle and glue to the bottle.

Step 4: Now start inserting the white yarn, leaving 2 inches on the holes and 1 inch of yarn on the holes. String the yarn in and out of each hole,(this makes the beard) and the hair line..

Step 5: Add on the eyes and mouth if you have one. Make sure you have yarn going across for the mustache. You may have to cut the mustache to your liking. Take the red material and make a triangle hat. At the tip of the hat add on a bell.

Step 6: Take the red felt and cover the back side of the bottle. Stretch a piece of wire across the back so you can hang it up. Attach the wire to each side real tight.

Step 7: Now you glue on the red hat and glue on the white chenille for the RIM of the hat.

Dothe same steps for Mrs. Santa leaving out the following: No beard, no mustache. And the last thing for Mrs. Santa is to add on the collar.

Santa and Mrs. Santa can stand by them selves or they can hang on the wall or door.

Question: Bleach Bottle Alternative for Santa Door Decoration

I an from Scotland U.K. I printed the "Bleach Bottle Santa Door Decoration", but unfortunately I have been unable to find any gallon bleach containers. Please has anyone got any solutions or suggestions, please? Thank you.

By Gillian from Scotland U.K

Most Recent Answer

By Judi [17]11/12/2009

When we were making apple juice we purchased gallon jugs from the local water bottling plant. These should work as well as bleach botles.

Question: Santa Heads Made From Detergent Bottles

Last year I went to Florida to a Christmas bazaar and I saw Santa Claus heads made with wool and fabric from detergent and liquid soap bottles. Does someone know how to make them? Over here in Germany they don't know these decorations. I want to make some of them for my friends. I apologize for my english and I hope you cam help me find instructions on how to make these funny santa faces.

Schluppi from Hamburg, Germany

Most Recent Answer

By Donna Evans (Guest Post)01/26/2007

I have seen Mr. and mrs. Claus made from recycled bleach bottles. I have the Pattern for Santa, but not for Mrs. Claus. Can someone help me out?

email address: sass.evans AT imagewireless.ca