Browsing: Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Making a Bleach Bottle Santa

Clean plastic bleach and detergent bottles are great to use in craft projects. Make this cute Santa for the holidays. This is a guide about making a bleach bottle Santa.

Bleach Bottle Santa
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 13, 2006 Flag
Kim D.6 found this helpful

A bleach bottle Santa craft.This is a cute, unique Christmas door decoration that can be made without too much bother or artistic ability. It recycles that empty bleach bottle, too. I've gotten lots of comments about how cute he is.

Materials

Instructions

First remove the label from an empty and clean bleach bottle. Then using scissors or an Exacto knife cut the bleach bottle in half length wise through the handle so that each half has half of the handle and half of the spout.

Make the hat. Cut the red felt into two triangular pieces with a base of 9 1/2 inches and height of 15 inches. Sew the long edges together and then turn the stitched side in. Cut 9 pieces of yarn 4 1/2 inches long. Fold the yarn pieces in half. Place the looped end on the tip end of the hat with the loop extending about 1/2 inch on to the tip. Tie in place with another short piece of yarn. Glue the hat in place along the side to side seam line on the outside of the bottle.

Next make the hair and beard. You will be making 41 looped yarn pieces. The measurements are for the length of the loop not the length of the yarn piece needed.

You will need:

Make the loops by winding the yarn around something the correct length or by folding back and forth using 20 loops for each. Secure in the center of the loops with one pipe cleaner, twisting to hold tightly.

Now punch 7 holes about 1/2 inch apart, 1/2 inch from the edge, down the sides of the bottle. Punch ten holes across the bottom of the bottle about 1 1/4 inches from the bottom. Punch 16 holes across the middle of the bottle directly under the bottom edge of the hat. A drawing of a bleach bottle to show where to make holes.

Make the face. Glue the flesh colored felt to the bottle between the bottom of the hat and the holes on the bottom and sides. Cut to fit. You may do the next steps of making the face now or wait until you've attached the hair. Glue the pompom 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the bottom of the hat and 4 3/4 inches from the side edges for the nose. Glue the two google eyes above and to each side of the nose. Cut three circles of red felt one inch in diameter. I used a water bottle lid as a pattern. Glue one on each side of the nose for cheeks and one 1/2 inch below the nose for the mouth. Punch a hole under the nose between the nose and mouth. Insert one of the 7 inch yarn loops here for the mustache.

Now do the hair and beard. Insert one of the 2 1/2 inch loops in each of the 16 holes under the bottom edge of the hat. Twist the ends together in the back. Starting with the 4 inch loop going down the sides, put first the 4 inch then 5, 6, 7, 8, 9,and finally the 10 inch loops in each of the 7 side holes on each side of the face. Now insert the ten 12 inch loops in the ten holes across the bottom.

You need some way to hang your Santa. I sewed a cafe curtain ring to the back top of the hat. You could just sew on a yarn loop.

Now you have a cute Santa for your door to welcome your friends!

By Kim D.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 19, 2005 Flag

Last year I went to Florida to a Christmas bazaar and I saw Santa Claus heads made with wool and fabric from detergent and liquid soap bottles. Does someone know how to make them? Over here in Germany they don't know these decorations. I want to make some of them for my friends. I apologize for my english and I hope you cam help me find instructions on how to make these funny santa faces.

Schluppi from Hamburg, Germany

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Schluppi...

I don't know the answer to your question about the Santa heads. I just want you to know that your English is very good and you do not have anything to apologize for!!! I hope someone does post the answer.

Good luck! Judi in South Dakota

Hello Schluppi,

Here is a link that has a picture and the directions for the Santa Head made from a bleach bottle. I think this is the one you are looking for. Well, I was having trouble adding the picture, but it looks as if it is showing up now. But go to the link below for the directions.

Harlean from Arkansas

http://w3.gwis.com/~ack/Santa.html

(Sent in the contest form)

Santa Head Made from a Bleach Bottle

Materials needed

1 bleach bottle

Large piece of Red Felt

1 sheet of pink felt

2 google eyes

Red Pompom for nose

2 Large skeins of Worsted weight White yarn.

Cut bleach bottle in half. Cut so that the handle is in front of you and cut sideways. Take the half without the handle and hot glue the pink felt on the bottle for the face you can glue on the pompom and the eyes. Cut two large Triangles from Red felt. Glue to top half of bleach bottle for hat. Two make the fur on the hat Take the white yarn and wrap it around a three inch long piece of cardboard 25 times. Slip off the cardboard and tie in the center with a small piece of yarn. Now with your sisscors punch a hole in the Bleach bottle below the red felt and push the two ends of the middle tying yarn through the Hole. Tie a knot in the yarn to keep it from coming back out. It all depends on how thick you want the fur as to how many you make.. Make a white Pom Pom for the tip of his hat.

Take 8 inch piece of cardboard wrap it 25 times and tie in the middle and tuck up under red Pompom nose in the same manner as for the the fur. This makes Santa's moustache Use the same techinque to make Santa's Beard. It will take three rows of poufs to make his beard. Good Luck and have fun. You can use sparkle yarn and you could add some rosy cheeks with a little bit of blush. You could also make Mrs. Claus by make poufs of grey yarn to make her hair. Bend some wire into a pair of glasses and add a big bow at the bottom to finish her off.

By Debra in Colorado

I have seen Mr. and mrs. Claus made from recycled bleach bottles. I have the Pattern for Santa, but not for Mrs. Claus. Can someone help me out?

email address: sass.evans AT imagewireless.ca

September 18, 2012 Flag

I have made several Santa Claus projects. What I would like to know is how do I make a Mrs. Santa Claus from a bleach bottle?
Thanks for any help you can give me.

By Charlotte

Make a Santa out of an old bleach bottle, an easy Christmas project for kids!

= Kid Tested!

You will need:

1 bleach bottle

white yarn

12 by 12 flesh felt

glue

2 eyes (black felt, buttons, or googly eyes)

Tool to make small holes in plastic bottle

Wire

1/4 yard of red material

14 inches of curly chenille

Any material for a ladies collar

Step 1: Cut the bottle in half. First make the man Santa. You decide the size of face you want and make a circle with a pencil.

Step 2: Make plenty of holes all around the circle.

Step 3: Cut the flesh felt in a circle and glue to the bottle.

Step 4: Now start inserting the white yarn, leaving 2 inches on the holes and 1 inch of yarn on the holes. String the yarn in and out of each hole,(this makes the beard) and the hair line..

Step 5: Add on the eyes and mouth if you have one. Make sure you have yarn going across for the mustache. You may have to cut the mustache to your liking. Take the red material and make a triangle hat. At the tip of the hat add on a bell.

Step 6: Take the red felt and cover the back side of the bottle. Stretch a piece of wire across the back so you can hang it up. Attach the wire to each side real tight.

Step 7: Now you glue on the red hat and glue on the white chenille for the RIM of the hat.

Dothe same steps for Mrs. Santa leaving out the following: No beard, no mustache. And the last thing for Mrs. Santa is to add on the collar.

Santa and Mrs. Santa can stand by them selves or they can hang on the wall or door.

November 12, 2009 Flag

I an from Scotland U.K. I printed the "Bleach Bottle Santa Door Decoration", but unfortunately I have been unable to find any gallon bleach containers. Please has anyone got any solutions or suggestions, please? Thank you.

By Gillian from Scotland U.K

Perhaps you could find a gallon size plastic vinegar jug. It should give about the same results as they are fairly close in size. I made several of these about twenty-five years ago and gave them as gifts during the Christmas holidays. I still have mine and it has held up really well. I hope this helps in your search for plastic jug/bottle.

When we were making apple juice we purchased gallon jugs from the local water bottling plant. These should work as well as bleach botles.

Crafts Christmas DecorationsSeptember 19, 2012
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 7:27:51 AM on 10.0.0.159 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.