Making a Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree

Perhaps you have seen one of these at a craft show, but it was too costly. You can make your own Christmas tree wall hanging, using your old costume jewelry or pieces from yard sales and thrifty stores. This is a guide about making a costume jewelry Christmas tree.

Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I make costume jewelry Christmas trees as gifts for family. This one on black background was given to me 30 years ago and made by my 86 year old aunt. It is one of the most loved things in my home.

VIntage jewelry tree made by aunt.

Old family pieces are nice or just collect them at yard sales. They are getting harder to find.

• jewelry tool set ($8.00)
  • pair of tweezers ($3.00)
  • good strong craft glue ($3.00)
  • one felt or black cotton velvet scrap
  • one shadow box frame ($10.00)
  • several glass beads several sizes ($10.00)
  • odd pieces of jewelry

1. Choose the size based on the amount of jewelry you have. I have made some small enough to fit in a 3x3 inch box lid for the tree. Others are 5x7 inches and 16x20 inches. That is up to you.
  2. Find a nice piece of cardboard for the back, then glue the fabric to the board with spray glue. Let that dry good.
  3. Start with the top of the tree down about 1 1/2 inches for a header space. Then poke straight pins in measuring same space on each side as you come down the tree. Be sure you have a space at the bottom as well, about 1 1/2 inches.
  4. I line up several large pieces down the center and lay all of the large pieces out before I glue any. I step back and look at it sometimes for several hours. Then glue them once you like the look.
  5. Then go around the edge with small pieces and fill in with small stones or what ever you have. No two are the same. I have made over 30 and hate to part with any of them. Most have been for gifts to relatives using family items they sent me.
  6. Dust the item with a piece of tap rolled around your finger.
  7. Then add the frame.
  8. Do not use super glue, it off gasses really badly once the glass is in place and will turn gold black.

You can also use buttons and let the kids make them.

Costume Jewelry Christmas TreeJewelry Christmas tree on red background.
CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is this a Christmas tree kit? I got it at a sale a long time ago. No one seems to know what I have, but I just came across your site! Maybe you have the answer. Thanks!

By Suzanne from Lafontaine, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I bought costume jewelery in bulk off Ebay and designed and made my own Christmas trees. I have 3 of them. This was popular back in the 30's and 40's. I don't know if there are kits but I think a persons own imagination, a velvet backed picture frame or shadow box, and some junk jewelery makes it good to go. You can even drill holes in the backing and add some Christmas lights through the back, I use battery operated ones.

Read More Answers...

My friend loaned me a magazine with instructions to make a Christmas jewelry tree and pictures. I lent it to a friend who has mislaid it and can't find it. I don't know the name, but it was a few years old. Can you help with the name of the issue? I would like to purchase it if I can.

By Susann S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I searched again for more pictures and found a Pinterest page with many completed trees for ideas:

https://www.pinterest.com/sjtrimmer ... s-trees-made-out-of-costume-jewelry/

Read More Answers...

Can I buy a Christmas jewelry tree kit?

By Kim from Canada

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Last one

Read More Answers...

How do I make a Christmas tree out of jewelry?

By Carol from Bay City, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Momma J,

Where is your picture. Would love to see it.

Read More Answers...

I am looking for a Christmas tree wall hanging made of costume jewelry. If any one has one I would appreciate a picture. Thanks.

Susan from Grand Prairie, TX

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Here's a few:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf86588978.tip.html

http://noelleodesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/jeweled-christmas-tree.html

http://cathyofcalifornia.typepad.com/cathy_of_california/2006/12/welcome_to_chri.html

http://woofnanny.blogspot.com/2008/10/collage-with-jewelry.html

http://www.curbly.com/Nimue/posts/368-make-costume-jewelry-artwork-collage-for-your-wall

http://www.aboutchristmascrafts.com/beautiful_christmas_crafts_to_make.html

http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/costume-jewelry-christmas-tree.html

Some of the pictures will show a larger view if you click on them.
(03/17/2009)

By Kaelle

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

I found this one on craigslist, a bit to much for me, but I thought it was neat the way it lights up. (09/20/2009)

By wisemarl1

RE: Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

You can buy a jeweled Christmas tree kit at www.piecemakers.com in Costa Mesa California. I did'nt see it online, but I did see it at the store. (08/08/2010)

By Mrs. Teresa

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for directions on how to make a memory or Christmas tree out of jewelry. It uses one of a kind earrings or old jewelry that is not being used.

Norma from Cedaredge, CO

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

My mom made one many years ago. She took all the pieces and glued them on felt-like background within the desired shape. Hers just happened to be a big round circle, then she took a strip of velvet and glued it on for the stem. Then she framed it and had it on the wall for a long time. Hope this helps. (07/13/2007)

By julie

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

Buy a small tree and wire on the old jewelry. Add some small red yarn bows and maybe a pearl garland. Save an especially pretty or large piece for the topper. Glue gun can be used, but fine wire is more permanent. I've done this before and it's gorgeous. (07/14/2007)

By Linda

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

One year I found this hideous wooden Christmas tree decoration. It was green. I just glued miscellaneous junk jewelry and now it is my only Christmas tree. After using brooches earrings and such for ornaments, then I used pearls, chains, and bracelets for ropes, dangle earrings are placed on the tips of the branches. If you have a handy man, get him to cut out the design you want.

Paint or cover with velvet or felt. My next project is a small toddler's horse on wheels. I have been saving and scrounging for jewels. (07/15/2007)

By lzygranny

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

I covered a thin piece of Masonite with green felt. It was cut to fit a large frame. I drew an outline of a Christmas tree on the felt and then glued strung pearls (6mm to 8mm in diameter) from the craft store along the outline. I filled (glued) the tree with beautiful costume jewelry that was my mom's before she passed away. Many pieces remained from my childhood. I even put my girl scout pin on it. Every Christmas is a walk down memory lane and a way to keep my mom part of the holiday. (07/15/2007)

By Lanell S

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

I am also looking for ideas for a Christmas tree to hang jewelery on, but I don't want to glue the jewelery on, I want to be able to take it off and wear. Years ago I saw one like this, but when I decided to make one, the lady who had it had died and no one knew what had happened to it. It also had Christmas tree lights on it and it stuck out from the wall about an inch or two. Hers was about 18 inches by at least 24 inches. It was in a frame. I wish I had asked more about it at the time I saw it . Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, cause I inherited lots of jewelery from my mother. (07/22/2007)

By adakotalady

Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

Hi. I just created a Christmas tree made out of vintage jewelry and it is beautiful. Here is a picture. (08/19/2009)

By abelina

RE: Making a Tree Out of Jewelry

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am trying to locate a pattern for a costume jewelry Christmas tree. I have spent hours on the web and still cannot find one. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

By Carole from Monterey Park, CA

Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree

You really don't need a pattern. If you have a nice shape for a tree, whether it is the kind that have the points of the limbs straight down or pointed it, simply get a piece of thin board. I used to cover mine with red felt, velveteen, or sateen (fake satin).

Then you put your pattern on it, draw it, and place your jewelry on it. If you have sets, like earrings, it's fun to place them on the same points on each side of the tree, or if your pieces are all different, you can put the larger ones in the middle and the smaller ones on the tips of the trees.

Shiny ones work wonderfully, and the best glue is E-6000. Take off the earring backs, pin backs, or anything that keeps the pieces from being as flat as they can be.

Keep something magical for the star on top, or just make a glitter glue one by drawing the shape and filling it in. If you make one, send it to us. (11/16/2009)

By Poor But Proud

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want a pattern to make a cone shaped Christmas tree out of old costume jewelry.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does anyone have the old pattern for a junk jewelry Christmas Tree Picture wall hanging? You place in picture frame with small lights inserted from back and hang as picture during Christmas.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My mom has some great vintage costume jewelry from my grandmothers. She wants to make velvet covered Styrofoam Christmas trees with jewels and beads adorning them for gifts for her daughters and granddaughters next Christmas. How do you make these?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts Christmas DecorationsOctober 18, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Costume Jewelry
Craft Uses for Costume Jewelry
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 5, 2016 at 2:12:34 PM on 10.0.0.212 in 325 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.