Making a Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree

Perhaps you have seen one of these at a craft show, but it was too costly. You can make your own Christmas tree wall hanging, using your old costume jewelry or pieces from yard sales and thrifty stores. This is a guide about making a costume jewelry Christmas tree.

August 30, 2013 Flag

I make costume jewelry Christmas trees as gifts for family. This one on black background was given to me 30 years ago and made by my 86 year old aunt. It is one of the most loved things in my home.

Old family pieces are nice or just collect them at yard sales. They are getting harder to find.

• jewelry tool set ($8.00)
  • pair of tweezers ($3.00)
  • good strong craft glue ($3.00)
  • one felt or black cotton velvet scrap
  • one shadow box frame ($10.00)
  • several glass beads several sizes ($10.00)
  • odd pieces of jewelry

1. Choose the size based on the amount of jewelry you have. I have made some small enough to fit in a 3x3 inch box lid for the tree. Others are 5x7 inches and 16x20 inches. That is up to you.
  2. Find a nice piece of cardboard for the back, then glue the fabric to the board with spray glue. Let that dry good.
  3. Start with the top of the tree down about 1 1/2 inches for a header space. Then poke straight pins in measuring same space on each side as you come down the tree. Be sure you have a space at the bottom as well, about 1 1/2 inches.
  4. Ad
  5. I line up several large pieces down the center and lay all of the large pieces out before I glue any. I step back and look at it sometimes for several hours. Then glue them once you like the look.
  6. Then go around the edge with small pieces and fill in with small stones or what ever you have. No two are the same. I have made over 30 and hate to part with any of them. Most have been for gifts to relatives using family items they sent me.
  7. Dust the item with a piece of tap rolled around your finger.
  8. Then add the frame.
  9. Do not use super glue, it off gasses really badly once the glass is in place and will turn gold black.

You can also use buttons and let the kids make them.

Great idea - very nice

Gorgeous!

When I bought one of these at a yard sale over 30 years ago, my family thought that I was crazy! It's the first thing that goes up at Christmas time and now everyone loves it! I have made several for 'special' friends and family. I am so glad that you showed everyone how to make it. It is truly unique! Kathy

April 12, 2011 Flag

Is this a Christmas tree kit? I got it at a sale a long time ago. No one seems to know what I have, but I just came across your site! Maybe you have the answer. Thanks!

By Suzanne from Lafontaine, IN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have known people in the past that made those trees out of old costume jewelry. I have always wanted to make one but never seem to have enough of the right kind jewelry to use.

I saw something similar on Antiques Roadshow. It was a sculpture made from old jewelry and other small objects. There was a name for it. I can't remember the name but at one time it was fashionable to make these things from objects that a loved one owned and wore in their lifetime, after they passed on. They are a form of folk art and had a lot of value.

I bought costume jewelery in bulk off Ebay and designed and made my own Christmas trees. I have 3 of them. This was popular back in the 30's and 40's. I don't know if there are kits but I think a persons own imagination, a velvet backed picture frame or shadow box, and some junk jewelery makes it good to go. You can even drill holes in the backing and add some Christmas lights through the back, I use battery operated ones.

February 4, 2015 Flag

My friend loaned me a magazine with instructions to make a Christmas jewelry tree and pictures. I lent it to a friend who has mislaid it and can't find it. I don't know the name, but it was a few years old. Can you help with the name of the issue? I would like to purchase it if I can.

By Susann S.

The website below is from a past Thrifty Fun question re a possible jewelry tree:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Costume-Jewelry-Christmas-Tree-2.html

I searched again for more pictures and found a Pinterest page with many completed trees for ideas:

https://www.pinterest.com/sjtrimmer ... s-trees-made-out-of-costume-jewelry/

December 15, 2009 Flag

Can I buy a Christmas jewelry tree kit?

By Kim from Canada

Here are some pics of my tree I made about 30 years ago and still use.

More pics

Last one

July 27, 2010 Flag

How do I make a Christmas tree out of jewelry?

By Carol from Bay City, WI

I haven't a clue as to how to make an actual tree structure out of the jewelry. I did however purchase a cheap fake Christmas tree at a craft store and simply strung some necklaces about it and adorned it with earrings ( the ones with the hook backings ), I've kept the tree up just as it is year around and I find it works wonderfully just as a jewelry stand. :)

I made two several years ago like the one pictured. It has some special pieces on it like little gingerbread men and some small leaves from the craft store amidst all the beads. These special pieces really made it meaningful to me. The girl scout pin is a great idea, nursing pin or caduceus etc would be neat.

Momma J,

Where is your picture. Would love to see it.

December 30, 2009 Flag

I am trying to locate a pattern for a costume jewelry Christmas tree. I have spent hours on the web and still cannot find one. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

By Carole from Monterey Park, CA

Answers:

Costume Jewelry Christmas Tree

You really don't need a pattern. If you have a nice shape for a tree, whether it is the kind that have the points of the limbs straight down or pointed it, simply get a piece of thin board. I used to cover mine with red felt, velveteen, or sateen (fake satin).

Then you put your pattern on it, draw it, and place your jewelry on it. If you have sets, like earrings, it's fun to place them on the same points on each side of the tree, or if your pieces are all different, you can put the larger ones in the middle and the smaller ones on the tips of the trees.

Shiny ones work wonderfully, and the best glue is E-6000. Take off the earring backs, pin backs, or anything that keeps the pieces from being as flat as they can be.

Keep something magical for the star on top, or just make a glitter glue one by drawing the shape and filling it in. If you make one, send it to us. (11/16/2009)

By Poor But Proud

hobby lobby has Christmas trees forms made from felt that you can purchase..

Thank you for your info...I will definitely be buying one!

April 12, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a Christmas tree wall hanging made of costume jewelry. If any one has one I would appreciate a picture. Thanks.

Susan from Grand Prairie, TX

Answers:

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Here's a few:

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf86588978.tip.html

http://noelleodesigns.blogspot.com/2009/02/jeweled-christmas-tree.html

http://cathyofcalifornia.typepad.com/cathy_of_california/2006/12/welcome_to_chri.html

http://woofnanny.blogspot.com/2008/10/collage-with-jewelry.html

http://www.curbly.com/Nimue/posts/368-make-costume-jewelry-artwork-collage-for-your-wall

http://www.aboutchristmascrafts.com/beautiful_christmas_crafts_to_make.html

http://www.antique-jewelry-investor.com/costume-jewelry-christmas-tree.html

Some of the pictures will show a larger view if you click on them.
(03/17/2009)

By Kaelle

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

I found this one on craigslist, a bit to much for me, but I thought it was neat the way it lights up. (09/20/2009)

By wisemarl1

RE: Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

Costume Jewelry Christmas Wall Hanging

You can buy a jeweled Christmas tree kit at www.piecemakers.com in Costa Mesa California. I did'nt see it online, but I did see it at the store. (08/08/2010)

By Mrs. Teresa

July 27, 2010 Flag

I am looking for directions on how to make a memory or Christmas tree out of jewelry. It uses one of a kind earrings or old jewelry that is not being used.

November 10, 2009 Flag

I want a pattern to make a cone shaped Christmas tree out of old costume jewelry.

September 19, 2009 Flag

Does anyone have the old pattern for a junk jewelry Christmas Tree Picture wall hanging? You place in picture frame with small lights inserted from back and hang as picture during Christmas.

June 23, 2009 Flag

My mom has some great vintage costume jewelry from my grandmothers. She wants to make velvet covered Styrofoam Christmas trees with jewels and beads adorning them for gifts for her daughters and granddaughters next Christmas. How do you make these?

Crafts Christmas DecorationsOctober 18, 2012
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Square version of tree top.
Christmas Tree Craft Ideas
Costume Jewelry
Craft Uses for Costume Jewelry
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
🎉
🎄