Holiday Winter Bean Soup Mix

These can make a great gift. Take a pint jar, layer the different beans, put the spices in a small Ziploc bag. Print cooking instructions on paper and glue to a recipe card. After closing the jar with lid and ring, cover the jar top with fabric or wrapping paper. Tie with curling ribbon in maroon, dark green and gold, or black, to color coordinate with the beans in the mix. Punch a hole in the top of the recipe card and thread the card onto the back of the package.

Use 2 cups total beans.

You can include: pinto beans, small red beans, kidney beans, yellow split peas, green split peas, baby lima beans, small white beans.

Spice Packet:

• 1/4 cup instant minced onion
  • 2 tsp. bouillon granules or powder (*chicken, *beef or vegetable)
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 Tbsp. dried parsley

Recipe to Print

• 8 cups water
  • holiday winter bean soup mix
  • 2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
  • * 2 pounds smoked ham shanks

Heat water and Winter Bean Soup Mix to boiling in a 4-quart Dutch oven or soup pot. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand one hour.

Stir carrots and celery into bean mixture. *Add ham shanks. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 2 hours or until beans are tender.

Skim fat if necessary. Remove ham shanks; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham. Cut ham into 1/2-inch pieces. Stir ham into soup.

Heat until hot. (6 servings about 1-1/2 cups each)

* (do not include for vegetarian soup)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. I had this recipe a few years back and my sons LOVE this soup. I lost my book that it was in and have winged making it since, although it always came out well. I still like the original recipe the best, except I brown Italian sausage and replace the ham shanks with it.

Bean Soup With Green Pepper and Tomato
Bean Soup Mix Recipes
Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts Jar MixesDecember 8, 2000
White Bean and Pasta Soup
White Bean Soup Recipes
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Bean Soup
Bean Soup Recipes
black bean burger
Bean Burger Recipes