Browsing: Preparing Food for a Large Group

Determining How Much Food To Prepare

My daughter is getting married in July 2007. Due to budget constraints to all involved, I will be preparing the food for the reception and the groom's mother is preparing the food for the rehearsal dinner. Can anyone give me an idea as to how to determine how much food to make. We are planning 3 meats, potatoes, some form of pasta both hot and cold, and possibly 2 - 3 salads.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

My first recommendation is make some things that can freeze - then who cares if there's extra (examples: Lasagna, Baked Mac-n-Cheese). There are dozens of web sites to help figure this out. Go to www.google.com and type in "Estimating Food Quantity Party" - and there will be dozens of sites where you just type in the # of people and it helps do the rest.

I would simplify the menu to only 2 meat choices. Depending on what you are preparing,a serving of meat per person is about the size of your fist. When I have prepared food for large groups, !/2 of a boneless, skinless chicken breast per person is about right. Have fun!

If you are brave enough to try it I'm sure you'll figure it out. I think the lasgne,etc. tip (freezable stuff) is good. I just want to wish you good luck. I was born in Oswego and had many relatives there. We may be cousins!

To all who have offered suggestions. I am taking everyone of them seriously and definitely reduced the meat to 2 kinds. And fortunately both families are zitti fanatics so that will be 1 pasta. Thank you all very much.

Here is a website that may help. just type in Daves Growlies it will help with recipes for large numbers and it's full of great tips.

I have used several times now I'm using it for my wedding in Dec. I hope this helps.