Stained Glass Christmas Angels - Categories:

ChristmasCookies

Stained Glass Christmas Angels

I was watching a TV show about a month ago showing an expensive cookie recipe using butter, flour, egg, almond meal and caster sugar (extra fine sugar for everyone in the US). The TV host made up the dough, rolled it out thinly (3-5mm).

She used a 11 inch angel cookie cutter and cut out angel shapes, then also cut out stars in the middle of the angel. In the star space she put in crushed candy.. (I used hard fruit drops) in reds or greens. When cooked at 350 deg the cookies baked and the candy melted in the star shape. They were called Stained Glass Almond Angels.

Before she put the shapes in the oven, she poked a hole at the top of each angel and when baked they can be hung from the Christmas tree.

I decided to try this and, boy did I wish I tried another recipe. It was pretty expensive, not frugal at all.

Well, I tried my normal run of the mill inexpensive butter, flour mixture and hey presto, I got the same results.

Still tasted nice and my daughter (10) said that it was better than the other. She said the original recipe was too rich for her liking.

I'm making some of these again tonight so that I can give out some Christmas presents to friends at church. I'm also trying a "ALMOND AND MACADAMIA NUT PRALINE" recipe which was on the same TV show, but here in Australia Macadamia nuts are a lot cheaper as they're native to Australia.

I intend to make this and wrap them in some pretty cellophane and there you have it, another inexpensive pressie for people I love and would like to give something nice to but who can afford to buy presents for everyone? I know we try and most of us end up bankrupting ourselves in the process.

There are so many inexpensive baked goodies that we can give out, including gift in a jar cookies. I love that idea.

Have fun out there, and remember, it's what's in your heart and not your purse that matters.

God bless,
Bev in Australia

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Could you give us your recipe for the dough? And what kind of candies did you buy for the "stained glass star"? Did you really use an 11 inch angle cookie cutter, like you mentioned that the TV host did? Sounds like an easy Christmas craft for kids at school to do for their parents at Christmas time next year.

Hey, i bet you could use this idea for really nice Valentine cookies also. A heart shaped cookie cutters in different sizes would be really cute. And what a hit at parties or gatherings!

I used my left over candy canes off the Christmas tree to make stained glass cookies

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Cookies ChristmasJanuary 3, 2005
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 18, 2016 at 5:21:59 PM on 10.0.2.204 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.