OrnamentsDecorations

Country Themed Ornaments

I'd like to make ornament or wall hanging that are country-ish and "homey". Perhaps with hearts.

Susan from Liverpool, UK

My local crafts store has rub on transfers in country designs, and black wire hanger plaques (thin 2 inch tall four inch wide), and cookie cutters, and upholstery tacks. I painted the plaques my kitchen color, which is a muted green, and then used the rub on transfers to "cheat" the theme painting, in this case it was a snowman. Then used the butt end of the paint brush to place snow polka dots in white around him.

Pound the tack in as a "hanging nail" towards bottom center of the plaque, and tie the cookie cutters (deer and stocking) together with choice of string. Hang them from the tack, (they should dangle).

Done

I did this once with a "Holly Hobbie" transfer which was way cute, cuz they are ultra country. If you like the look of the craft, costs can be cut using your own painted "saying" which most people can do in paint, and use things like painted pine cones, bittersweet, or a grouping of these with some wheat stalks.

Ooops! Forgot, of course you can use hearts all over the place on that one!

(see below feedback)

* COUNTRY HEART ORNAMENTS *

YOU'LL NEED:

- 1 bag of Paper-Clay

- 1 or 2 colors of acrylic paint

- 1 paintbrush (a #4 or #6 square shader works best)

- Several feet of fishline, dental floss, yarn or beading line.

- optional, 20 gauge wire for hanging & a paint-pen

Go to a craft store & buy yourself some PAPER-CLAY. (it's super light weight, so it won't be heavy on the tree) This wonderful & inexpensive clay will air dry to a hard, beautiful & light weight ornament. (but keep it in a zip-lock bag when you are storing it or it will dry up) Next, form this clay into hearts, then poke in a loop on the top made from clear fishline, yarn, dental floss (or whatever) to use to hang them with & let dry overnight. Now take red, burgundy, green or dark blue paint & with a "# 6 square shader" type of paintbrush, paint little stripes or checks around the sides, You can also use a paint-pen to write Merry Christmas or people's names on the front. To give your hearts that "country look" you can sand some of the paint off with the back of a kitchen scrubby sponge or use a bit of steel wool or sand paper. If you want, you can spray a clear matte or gloss coating over the top.

* To go even fancier you can make curly-Q wire hangers. Just buy 18, 20 or 22 gauge wire to use as fancy hangers for under the loops you formed on the hearts... Just take the wire & start by wrapping it around a pen, then form it in the shape of a swirly "S" & cut with nippers, then swirl the bottom in the opposite way.

---> Write me & let me know how they turned out! ...I have many other ideas, If you are interested. For example, you could also make sachet hearts (fabric filled with lavender & rosebuds or with cloves, orange peals & cinnamon chunks) Then hang them on the tree or wall with a loop of ribbon... (then later on, after the holidays, they can be put into drawers to make a person's clothes smell good). I have many, many more ideas, but I believe the paper-clay hearts will work the best, for you, not cost very much, be the fastest & look absolutely wonderful!