Decorating a Christmas Tree With Lights

Lights add so much to a Christmas tree. And putting them on can be a lot of fun. But when it comes to taking them off after the holiday, now that's another story altogether!

When I put mine on, I do it in 2 steps using 2 strands of lights. First I label each strand with a tiny label which I've painted dark green to match the cord and used a color just enough different so that I can read it. I mark one strand "1U/D" for "first on, up and down" and the other "2A" for "second on, around".

Then I run one strand up and down and the other around the tree. I use the blinking lights and doing it both ways keeps it from being obvious that there is one string. The blinks mix together creating a nice blend. If you use the kind where the lights seem to "run" along the string, this will make a huge difference in how they look. The lights will "run" all over the place and not just in one direction.

If you use 4 strands you can do this same method marking strand one "1U/D-RL" for running up and down from right to left. Strand two: "2U/D-LR" for up and down left to right. Strand three: "3A-RL" for around from right to left. And strand four: "4A-LR" for around from left to right.

By labeling the strings it tells you not only which direction the lights went on, but also the order in which they went on. This makes it so much easier to take them down, just reversing the numbers as you go.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Do you have any pictures you can post? I would love to see your tree decorated!

Classic Christmas Tree
Putting Lights on a Christmas Tree
Holidays and Parties Christmas Decorations TreeDecember 7, 2010
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
🎉
🎄