Christmas Club Accounts

This tip is late for this year but (I think) invaluable for the years to come. Get a Christmas Club account at your bank. They either deduct a set amount from your checking account ($20 a month or more) or you deposit monthly. It runs for 10 months and at the end of the time Oct/Nov you get a check for the years' amount plus interest. I'm careless about putting money by every month, but if it's not in the account, I can't spend it and then I have a lump sum when I most need it. One year I had to draw out the accumulated dollars in the summer, but I've done this for a long time.

By Susan from Bristol TN

I did a post on saving for Christmas the "old fashioned way".

http://savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/2008_08_18_archive.html

The envelope method has never let me down! My bank does not have Christmas Club accounts anymore.

I also posted on getting back to its the thought that counts.

http://savingspotpourri.blogspot.com/2008_08_22_archive.html

If you have time take a look.

Even though my parents had a Christmas club account when I was a child ( in the 80's), my mom collected ALL the change from couch cushions, my father's forgotten pockets, anywhere she found it. Over Thanksgiving break we would sit around and roll it..before the machines that do it for you. I remember one year this large 5 gallon bucket paid for Christmas & a trip to Florida to visit family!

We don't have a Christmas Club account, but we do make or buy presents throughout the year. Starting in January. I prefer handmade gifts and I give mostly handmade gifts. I usually make everyone at least one or two knitted dishcloths. They are really good for washing dishes. I also make knitted or crocheted scrubbies for scrubbing pans and such.

This is just the way we do it.

This is a great way to save, if you have a bank that does this. If not, start one on your own. Take the amount you need to start an account, so you don't have to pay fees, then add. I used my "Christmas" account for my property taxes. Too bad, it won't cover them any more! But I still save. My bank rounds up the cents on my debit card purchases. Every penny helps.

October 6, 2008 Flag

Consider opening a Christmas Club account. Some banks still offer them but they may not advertise them. You can deposit money weekly or as often as you'd like; however, the funds are NOT accessible for withdrawal. Around the first of November or mid-November, you should receive your Christmas Club check.

I've used my Christmas Club account for several years and getting that lump sum check prevents me from charging purchases on credit and thus, overspending at Christmas. You can open one after Christmas as it is a good time to motivate yourself to save while you are paying off those credit card purchases you can avoid next year as you'll have your Christmas money in hand.

You can be proud of yourself, knowing you won't be in the same predicament ever again as long as you make regular deposits to your Christmas Club account. Even if you have to start with small deposits, you will be ahead of the game and eventually, be able to increase the amounts you can deposit.

By Magnolliatn

Answers:

Christmas Club Accounts

It's been three years since I had a Christmas Club account, but this year I decided that I really need to open an account. Even if I only save $10 a week, in 52 weeks I will have $520 saved. I like the account because I cannot take the money out and I have to wait until next October for the bank to mail me my check, I really lack discipline so this will help me from dipping into my savings. If you have never tried a Christmas Club account give it a try this year! (11/06/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Christmas Club Accounts

Credit unions offer these accounts more frequently than banks, and they offer other kinds of "installment savings" plans, too. Mine offers a vacation club. All are free. (10/18/2007)

By

Budgeting for Christmas, Santa Peeking over Cash
Budgeting for Christmas
Budget & Finance Saving MoneyOctober 6, 2008
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Name Ideas for a Craft Club
Name Ideas for a Craft Club
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Senior Reading a Book
Hosting a Senior Book Club
🎉
🎄