Boy's Dragon Halloween Costume

Inspired by my kids' favorite book, they both decided they wanted to be dragons for Halloween. Here is my take and twist on a boy version of a dragon costume.

Note: The amount of felt needed may vary depending on your child. As reference, my son is 5 1/2 and I used 36" by 72" for red felt.

Here is my daughter's dragon costume: Toddler Girl's Dragon Halloween Costume

Total Time: Varies on how much time you have, but this took me a couple of days to complete.

Yield: 1 costume

1. Figure out how large you would like child's dragon wings to be. Fold felt in half, draw wings on the fold and cut out. Repeat this step again, so in the end you will have 2 wings.
  2. Trace wings onto HeatnBond and cut out.
  3. Using twine floral wire & pliers - bend wire into shape to allow wings to be sturdy and structured. Hot glue as much as you can down on the felt. Then, follow instructions per HeatnBond. Iron HeatnBond onto the blank red felt wing. Allow to cool a little then peel off paper layer. Now place the structured wings on top (wire side down to the bond) and iron together.
  4. Cut out scales to fit on the back of the wings & glue down. Using elastic and safety pins create straps so the wings could be wearable.
  5. Trace a hoody hat against folded felt like pictured and cut out. Note: You can skip this step if you have a red hooded sweater, jacket, or even a hat to spare to use, but we didn't have any and my son didn't want to wear a red hat.
  6. Sew hoody together and inside out. Turn right side out. Flatten seam.
  7. Using safety pins - pin the hoody to a red shirt as a guide and sew the two together.
  8. Cut even amount of triangular shapes with your choice of scale fabric. Glue the triangles together and hot glue to the hoody (or you can sew together while sewing hoody together).
  9. For the dragon tail, cut a triangular piece of the red felt, make a funnel (hot glue edges) and stuff with polyester fill. Then sew shut.
  10. Sew tail onto back of the shirt.

Crafts Halloween CostumesOctober 25, 2019
🍂
🎄