Enjoying the Holidays

Family Enjoying The Holidays
Being stressed can make the holidays no fun at all. It is important to allow plenty of time to relax, to be flexible, and to have quality time with the people you care about. This is a guide about enjoying the holidays.

My three girls and I work in Nursing and the other daughter works retail. We don't ever count on being off on holidays. With the holidays, comes all the family and the buying of groceries and preparations for the big feast at Thanksgiving. Since it is a holiday, if we work it we get either double time and a half or we get an extra day off during that week. So we have all compromised and decided we'd have Thanksgiving on our Saturday off in the middle of the day, so everyone can come and enjoy this special time together. Even though one daughter has to work, her shift doesn't start until 3 so she has time to eat and enjoy some family time.

When Christmas comes we face the problem of everyone going off to their in-laws to enjoy their festivities. So we usually work around it and set our time for Christmas Eve night for gifts and have an open buffet at a later date. This works well with our family and we can all enjoy some special time together. No one feels left out or cannot attend because we have all agreed on a specific time and place. After all Holidays are for families.

By Gem from VA

In today's world it's rush, rush, rush! People are trying to jam in as much as they can, thinking they will miss out on something if they don't. My advice for the holidays is - relax. It's pretty way out there and very old fashioned, but just relax. It will probably be the hardest thing you have done for a while, truly relax.

It surprises me every time my husband and I do this, how much we enjoy doing nothing. We simply spend time together not stressing. Try it! Time together with very little stress and time to enjoy each other. Your kids will enjoy just being with you. Your partner will enjoy just being with you. Relax!

By Linda from Australia

Here's an idea: Take a few hours one day very soon to sit down with a tall glass of lemonade or ice tea and make a written plan for the upcoming holidays. Map out the season. Spend time assessing past holidays. Analysis is a great way to make sure I don't repeat past mistakes.

I have found the way to relieve holiday stress and eliminate the chance of falling into debt is to start early. The more tasks I can take care of early on, the more it will free me up to enjoy the magic and wonder of the season and to give me some time to give back to others.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX