Making a Spool Santa Ornament
This cute Santa ornament is easy to make, starting with a red thread spool. This is a guide about making a spool Santa ornament
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This fun little homemade ornament was made by using items and scraps in my sewing box. Happy Holidays!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 ornament
- 1 spool of red thread
- piece of cotton
- thick black string (I used elastic)
- 1 medium large black bead
- scrap of red fabric cut in a triangle
- Rip off some cotton and glue as trim to one end of the spool's edge.
- Fold black string in half and push through middle of spool.
- Push string through black bead (on the side with two loose ends, not the other side with the loop).
- Tie both ends of the string with a loose knot to make the appearance of Santa's shoes.
- To make Santa's hat, fold the red triangular fabric in half and sew up the open side. Turn inside out.
- Glue on a small ball of cotton at the top of the triangle.
- To make Santa's head glue a thin strip of rolled cotton to the inside of the hat by adding a glue line all the way around the lower inside edge.
- Glue cotton trim all around the base of the hat. Glue head to spool body.
December 30, 20160 found this helpful
To make these adorable little elves and Santas even more thrifty and have an assortment of colors, look for bags of thread at your thrift shops. Sometimes the older thread is not good for sewing anymore but would look great as an elf. You'd save your good thread for sewing projects.