New Jersey Christmas Charities

My sister-in-law is in a terrible situation. She lost her 1 year old baby boy (my nephew) to violence. She is struggling financially and has two other kids. Where can I sign her up for help with Christmas?

By Jeremy Jay G. from Lodi, NJ

Most of the Christmas charities have a deadline of around Thanksgiving for taking applications, they also have an age deadline of 12 years. Each kid only needs one gift from their parents, and the gift doesn't have to be designer clothes or electronics or expensive toys. We all know Christmas comes at the same time every year and there is no reason a person can't buy one gift a month. As the uncle are you giving them anything? Also don't these kids have a Dad, grandparents and other aunts and uncles that will be giving them gifts? I also know a lot of people that do their gift shopping at dollar stores, and thrift stores. Also speak to your pastor about this, because sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. I was diagnosed with stage three cancer in mid-September and was really glad I had all of my Christmas shopping all done at the time and that includes buying for about 10 people. I am 74 and live off a total of $700.00 a month. By doing my shopping one gift a month I am able to spend about $15.00 on each person.

redhatterb always has good foundational information that makes sense - for many people. I follow the same path so it is difficult to understand why families are not at least partially ready for Christmas.

It is true that some cannot "plan ahead" but as noted - even Christmas charities have to make plans in advance to be able to fulfill the ones they help.

At this late date she may be able to visit her local church or just try the local charities to see if they can help.

Maybe she should start with her (and her husband's) families since they must be aware of the circumstances.