Painting Glass Ornaments

Category Ornaments
Painting glass Christmas ornaments can become a tradition in you household. They are great as gifts too. This is a guide about painting glass ornaments.

I have seen Christmas balls that are originally clear glass. The balls have paint on the inside that has been swirled around. They were lovely. How do I make them? I have tried with my regular paint and with glass window paint neither did any swirling. Thank you.

Answers

My grandchildren and I did this a few years ago. I purchased oil based paint from the craft store (came in small squeeze bottles. We matched up two or even three colors, shot about 1/4 teaspoon (you will figure out amounts after about one or two trys) down separate sides counted to 5 and swirled the ornaments, they came out beautiful. While drying we stood them with opening down in Egg cartons that we had cut apart so that each bulb had its own little nest. This removed the excess paint

Just saw this post the other day. They are beautiful!

<a href="http://www.thri  l">Glass Holiday Orbs</a>

http://www.thri  0262312.tip.html

Apparently I'm not good at linking things. Sorry!

The kids did these in Sunday School and they came out great. We had them choose 3 colors and put in a small puddle of each all at once. Add each color on a different spot. As they were swirled around they blended with each other perfectly. We let them drain in paper cups and the next Sunday they were drained and dry. Then the hangers were put back in and a ribbon tied around the top. Total amount of paint added up to about size of a dime. The kids were so proud of their beautiful creations.

An addition to previous post. The kind of paint we used was just everyday acrylic craft paint

My best advice is to use very little paint at a time and let one color begin to dry before adding a second color. Remember that once you let them sit, the liquid will continue to move. Make sure you put names on them if you are making them with a group because they will not be what you left them looking like when you return. Half the fun is seeing what you end up with. It really is a beautiful craft. Enjoy.

I wonder if adding a little water or paint conditioner (you will find this product where the paint sprayers are) will help dilute the paint enough to swirl?

I tried using 'paint' only and it just kind of sat there, I got frustrated and put the bulbs back in the box! Maybe I'll try it again and post back if it worked and how I did it the 'EASY' way :)

I tried making these, but they didn't turn out so well. I swirled the paint in and left them upside down in an egg carton to dry. They looked great at the time, but the next day they looked pretty bad. They had large bare spots where the paint didn't stick. Someone told me to try rinsing the ornaments with alcohol first, but I had the same outcome. Any ideas? Thanks!

How do I get paint to stick on glass ball ornaments?

Elizabeth from Alabama

I have some clear glass Christmas ornaments that I want to paint for my tree this year. I have a treetop bow that has red birds on it. I would like to paint red birds on the ornaments. My tree is white.

Does anyone know where I can find a bird pattern to use? I want to either stencil the bird on or cut a sponge in the bird shape to paint with.
Thanks!

Answers

Check stickers (or a photo) of the bird you want, then copy it in several sizes - several copies. There is sticky stencil material at craft stores you can put over the copy you want and make a stencil, or just cut out the paper one and use Modpodg or tacky glue to put it on the curved surface. I no longer have photo of the ladybugs of 3 sizes I put on planters.

Be sure to get paint that is designed to stick on glass. Lots of paints will flake off from glass. If you can find plastic ornaments, fabric paint, the 3-D kind, works very well.

Ask a nearby child to draw a bird for you? let them participate!