Planning an Engagement Party

Category Engagement
The engagement party is often the first in a series of events that celebrate your upcoming wedding. This is a guide about planning an engagement party.

This is a guide about engagement party etiquette. There is accepted proper etiquette that has been defined for the planning and attending of an engagement party.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

My best friend recently got engaged and I would like to throw an engagement party for her and her fiance. Only I live in a small one bedroom apartment in downtown. Can anyone give me some suggestions for an inexpensive place to host an engagement party?

I would be more than happy to make the food and or bring drinks.

Susan from Dallas, TX

Answers

If you are a member or a regular church attender, see if you can host an engagement party in their fellowship hall.

Do you have a local park that has pavillions? In many towns, these pavillions can be reserved for private parties, and the price is usually very low (we paid $35.00 to reserve a pavillion for my grandson's graduation party.) Tablecloths, plates, plastic flatware, balloons and napkins can be bought at the dollar store.

Do you have another friend acquainted with the couple? See if there is a clubhouse or meeting room at his/her place of residence (apartment or home community). Maybe you could give the party together and that person's contribution could be the venue.

I also used my mother-in-laws house one time for a bridal shower before I had a home of my own. As long as it is not too large many relatives would gladly let you use their backyard to have an outside party.

http://www.savi  ri.blogspot.com/

Check with state park service. The ones in our area have banquet rooms that they rent. Some with nice kitchens. My daughter had her wedding at one and it was really nice.

Usually a church hall or a VFW hall are reasonable and you can also check with any kind of condo or apts nearby if there is a party room avail? Does your apt have a party /community room available?

Does your town have a community center? Or a historical society headquarters? Those can be inexpensive venues for a party.

By (Guest Post)

Check with your local senior center. Most apt. complexes will let you use their clubhouse of rec. room for a nominal fee.

I have to plan an engagement party for my brother and his fiance. I don't know what to do. I am married, but never had one myself. Please help.

Kimberly

Answers

By LISA (Guest Post)

I did a party for a friend's son and his fiance. We used the theme "a great catch". We bought galvanized buckets for the tables to hold champagne. This was the most expensive purchase we had to make. We bought them in the paint department at home deport. You could buy cardboard buckets and cover with aluminum foil. Small styrofome coolers would work too.

We covered the tables with a sage green table cover and down the middle of the tables we spead rock pebbles from home depot. We used the river rock that was smooth with colors or browns, beiges and white. We nestled 100 or so tea lights into the rocks for candle-light. We decorated the head table by drapping it with fish nets from the local party store (found in the loua section.) In this netting we hooked some fishing lures.

At the entrance to the room and down the banister we decorated with some reeds from a local pond (the grooms dad supplied these), cane poles and cattails. We tied this all together with some green and beige plaid ribbon and some green rafia. We tied in sone little woodon buckets we bought at the dollar tree. We made up a congragulatory sign showing two fish kissing and added their names. For the buffet table we were able to find some big fish shaped serving bowls. Lay around some bobbers, etc.

Old fishing laterns would be great too. We were able to obtain pictures of the couple fishing as children and framed them in natural looking frames--we glued sticks to the inexpensive frames we had purchased. The ideas are endless and everyone had things to add.

By jody. (Guest Post)

i would like a list of things i need to do ie arranging things as this is my first time.

I'm having an engagement party in two weeks at my apartment and its going to be mostly family with a few friends. Does anyone have any ideas of things we could do so that its not just standing around and talking? I want everyone to feel involved and not awkward or out of place.

Erin from Syracuse, NY

Two good friends of mine are getting married. I'm holding an engagement party. I need some ideas for games and stuff to do. I've never done this
before. What are some good games to play, trivia, whatever can we do?
- Susan

Answers:

Engagement Party Ideas

Hi,

I didn't have an engagement party myself nor have I attended one so I did some research on the web. I didn't find much information about engagement parties.
Here's what I did find.

1. Engagement parties are anything goes. They can be outdoor barbeques, indoor receptions or formal. Whatever you decide will be fine.

2. The purpose of an engagement party is so the friends and families of the couple can get to know each other before the wedding.

3. Gifts are not required for an engagement party but any party is a good excuse for gifts. Good gift ideas are household goods or money. (You could set up a money tree so party goers could clip money on to the tree.)

Here's some ideas I have:

Let's call the couple Bob and Carol.

Anything that gets Bob and Carol's friends and family to get to know one another is helpful. Games could be anything interactive. "The first time I met Bob was _____."

You could also ask family and friends to bring a picture of Bob and Carol or them together as a couple.

One thing that would be helpful is name tags so people can know the name and relationship to Bob or Carol. You can print out some cute name tags on your computer and put them in plastic pin-on name card holders or stick on types that are available at most office supply stores. You could print out:

Carol's _______ (relationship) _____________ (Name)

So they could fill out "Carol's Friend Stacy" or "Bob's Mom Mary"

This will be a good ice breaker all on it's own. Hope this helps. (03/20/2002)

By Susan

Engagement Party Ideas

Save all bows from the gifts and have the maid of honor attach them to a paper plate. This is the "bouquet" for the rehearsal dinner. Bake two bundt cakes (shaped like circles for the rings) one for the men and one for the women. Put a large half dollar piece one in each cake, the "couple" that finds it is then forced to lead the room in the funky chicken dance, but given a prize for their embarrassment. (08/27/2004)

By Suzanne Spencer

Engagement Party Ideas

Repeat after me: money trees are tacky, tacky, tacky! (08/26/2005)

By Frances

Engagement Party Ideas

We played a kind of trivia game. How much do you know about the bride and groom? Whoever gets the most answers right wins a little prize, it was fun. (06/17/2006)

By Kelly

Engagement Party Ideas

We are having our engagement party on the 25th. I am playing a game that I call Randy & Shelli trivia. I have about 20 preplanned questions like where did they meet? The person who correctly shouts out the answer gets to pick a prize from the prize table which are things I picked up at the dollar store. I am hoping this game will get everyone involved in the party and be a good ice breaker. (08/10/2007)

By shelli