Rhode Island Christmas Charities

Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in Rhode Island.

Adopt-A-Family in Woonsocket has been helping the "working poor" and other families in need in the northern Rhode Island area for over two decades, providing toys and clothes for the holidays.

The Rhode Island Community Food Bank may be a resource for food items for holiday meals.

I would like to know how I can get help for Christmas in Providence, Rhode Island. Thank you.

By Larry

Answers

Check out your local churches. Toys for Tots operated by the Marines. Salvation Army??? You probably can get gr8 deals at thriftshops if you explain the situation, my hubby just got a big discount on 10 dictionaries for his students!

It depends on what type of help you need. I haven't heard of any charities that help with adult gifts unless the person lives in a group home of some kind. Speak to the pastor of your church, sometimes a church will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. Call 211, it is a nationional clearing house that keeps a list of different organizations that provide different types of help. It is called HELPLINE! There is also the Salvation Army. However at this date, a lot of the charities have taken all the applications they can handle. They also have people fill out applications and provide gross income. All any kid needs is one gift a piece from their parents. They also must have grandparents, aunts and uncles that send gifts. Kids also don't need any of the expensive things they see advertised on TV or things with designer labels on them. Shop thrift stores, dollar stores. Most of all plan ahead, don't wait until the last minute to start your shopping. I start in January and have been all done for more than a month. That is the only way I have ever been able to do Christmas. My kids have never got anything advertised on TV or with a designer label on it.

Anonymous

My sister and mom said go to pro-cap in pProvidence and ask about toys for tots and they said there are a couple churches. Good luck I posted this again cause it kept saying my other one didn't post. I hope this one does.

Thats the worst advice, most parents dont want to give there children junk! Christmas is one of the most magical amazing times of the year and they deserve to get awesome great things atleast once a year! I think thats so rotten the way you think, my kids have tons of name brand clothes and shoes cause i like them to look good why wouldnt you want them to look there best obviously they wear normal clothes like disney stuff ad other cute things..and i dont make tons of money at all but its doable, your theory on gifts for kids not needing more than just one! And shopping at dollar stores!? Is just cold! most parents wouldnt want that advice obviously they want to be able to give which is why theyre looking for the toy drive

I am a mother of 3, who has been through so much this year. My kids had a horrible experience this year. Please if you know where I can get any help for Christmas it would be so much appreciated.

By Amandqa from W Warwick, RI

Answers

A lot of kids have had bad experiences of one type or another this year and in previous years. A lot of families have been through a lot, also. Most charities have passed the deadline for applications and most of them have a cut off age limit of 12 years.

Give the Salvation Army a call, you might get lucky. I would suggest speaking to your pastor, a lot of times churches will take a special offering for a needy member of the congregation. I assume their Dad will send gifts, along with grandparents, aunts and uncles.

No kid needs more than one gift from their parents. Also plan ahead. There were times I would have had to look for help when my kids were young, but I planned ahead and started shopping in January. I still do and have been done for more than a month and everything is wrapped and under the tree. Also my kids never received anything advertised on TV or anything with a designer label.

It's probably too late to apply for Christmas gifts from a charity, but if you are able to, you can earn some money to buy presents for your children. You can offer to clean someone's house or watch their children, rack leaves, shovel snow, etc. Who knows, it might turn into a regular money making opportunity for you.

Maybe you have something around your house that you can sell by putting an ad in the free press. If you only earn $30.00, you can take that money to the Dollar Tree or 99 Cent store and buy 10 different gifts for each of your children.

Whatever you do, the most important thing is to make your home filled with Love and happiness. That's what children really need.

God your everywhere and so rude! This woman was probably feeling pain and upset and you think your snobby answers help ...i dont know you but i really dont like you... stop giving people advice your not good at it and your especially rude and a cold person

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in Rhode Island. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.