Wooden Spoon Reindeer Craft
Make a really cute holiday decoration using wooden spoons. This is a guide about making a wooden spoon reindeer
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Materials and tools needed:
- 5 wooden spoons all the same size
- small amounts of felt: red, white, & brown
- pompoms 4-1 inch white, 1 1/2inch Brown, 3/4 inch Red
- short piece of floral wire or chenille stem
- narrow red ribbon and half inch ribbon
- glitter glue or other trim for saddle blanket
- 2 small jingle bells
- 12 mm wiggly eyes (Glue on)
- 1/2 inch eyelashes
- small bottle of light brown acrylic paint
- small bottle of black acrylic paint
- hot glue and glue gun
- small holly leaves for trim on ears
- Measure about 9 inches from tip of spoon towards end of handle and cut 4 spoons this size.
- For the remaining spoon, measure 4 and a half inches from tip of spoon and cut for the head and neck.
- Cut another piece from the handle of that spoon 4 and a half inches long for the back of the deer.
- Stain all spoon pieces with the light brown paint diluted with water to thin it down. About 1 part water to 1 part paint should work. Let them dry.
- Glue the 4 spoon legs to the back piece with the spoon bowls facing in. Make sure they allow your deer to stand level. Optional step: cut 2 and a quarter inch pieces of the remaining handle and glue between the spoons (front and back) just below the back piece to stabilize the legs with a little extra support. Glue the head spoon to the end of the back piece.
- Make cardboard templates for all the felt pieces, and trace them onto the felt and cut out.
- Assemble the red antlers with the wire or chenille stem glued between them. This will allow you to shape them once they are in place. You can curl the edges a little forward as in the photo.
- Assemble the head. Using the picture as a guide, with bowl of spoon facing the tail end, glue the brown pompom to the head spoon for the nose. Glue the red pompom to the front of the brown pompom. Glue eyelashes and eyes in place. Crease the ears slightly on the straight edge and glue in place. Glue antlers behind the ears. Add a little holly for accent just in front of the left ear.
- Glue a white pompom to the tail end and glue the brown felt tail above it, making a slight crease on the flat edge. Glue 3 white pompoms to the front of the deer in a triangular shape. Make a bow with half inch ribbon of your choice and glue to neck above pompoms. Attach the jingle bells to each end of a piece of narrow ribbon, and tie around his neck, so the bells will dangle in front of his chest. Trim the white part of the two piece saddle blanket. If you want to use glitter glue, you can follow the scalloped design shown, or you can use trim of your choice, such as rickrack or colored cord.
- To make the saddle bags, cut two pieces from nylon net. Sew them together. Gather them in the middle by tying tightly with a narrow ribbon. Then cut a slit on either side of the ribbon, cutting only through one side just large enough to insert a couple tiny candy canes or peppermint drops. Drape the saddlebags over the back of the deer. With black paint, paint about half an inch up on his legs for hooves.
Click on the pattern images below (at the end) for a size large enough to print.
By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR
Click on Image for Larger Size Pattern to Print
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
October 5, 20040 found this helpful
I need the directions for making Christmas Reindeer out of wooden spoons. You use the whole spoon. The handles make up the legs and the spoon makes the body. You then decorate them with felt saddles, ears and googly eyes. I just can't remember the placement of the spoon for the face. Any info would be great.
By Kerolyn (Guest Post)
October 22, 20060 found this helpful
Hi, Carol -
I'm looking for the instructions for this reindeer too. Did you ever get the info? If so, is there a way that you can forward it to me? You can write to me at krklein44 at aol.
Answer this Question...
By shelly/ guest (Guest Post)
November 19, 20080 found this helpful
http://www.thri 6924796.tip.html This link has the deer with the 5 wooden spoons. They are cute.. gl