Christmas Tradition: Stockings From Mom

Growing up we never had much money, but we always had a nice Christmas thanks to Mom. There were 4 of us kids and we got at least a few presents each, but it was very important to Mom that we had our stockings also. There was never anything big in the stockings; candy, little puzzles, gum, things she could get at the dollar store mostly. But we loved it, it was one of the best parts of Christmas.

Well, most of us are grown up now (3 of 4 of us) but Mom still insists on giving us stockings. And by now 3 of 4 of us also have significant others...and you guessed it, they get a stocking too! So Mom is up to 7 stockings to do every year. Unfortunately, Mom had some major financial set-backs in 2006 and as it got closer to Christmas, she had to tearfully explain how she couldn't even afford the dollar store stockings. We all told her that it was totally OK, but I don't think it did much to ease her mind. We all know that she still was very bothered by that fact. Soooo.....

Us 4 kids (well 7 if you include the signif others) got together and decided since stockings are so important to Mom, we would take care of them that year (last Christmas 2006.) We exchanged names (Mom didn't know about any of this) and we did stockings for each other. We also got Mom the biggest stocking we could find (my 2 year old niece could have fit into it..lol) and we each got a few things for Mom. Now she has a stocking too. Needless to say, Mom was very emotional when she discovered what we had done. I still get emotional myself thinking about it.

So it's a new year, and we all decided we like this new tradition much more. Of course, the name exchange is supposed to be a secret, but that doesn't work out so well......oh well, it can't be perfect. ; )

Happy Holidays to everyone and please remember receiving a physical "gift" to open isn't nearly as rewarding as giving a meaningful gift to someone you love.

By Mindy from Reading, PA

I unwittingly started a tradition with my 5 yr old granddaughter when she was two. I started sending her Ladybug Magazine because she is my ladybug. She informed me a few weeks ago that she wants to continue getting Ladybug for the rest of her life. She also gets Christmas and birthday gifts which I have made for her. This year it will be a ladybug wallet. I googled "ladybug fabric" and got several hits and was able to pick what I wanted. You just never know what will blossom into a tradition. The love and caring is what really counts.

What a sweet story to read this time of year. I have been feeling down because this is the first Christmas without my Mom. She died in Aug and I am finding I just don't have quite the Christmas spirit this year. My children tho keep me very busy and we're taking them to see Santa tonight so that will cheer me up.

Enjoy the times with your Mom and family and Merry Christmas to all!