Buche De Noel
- 2 cup flour
- 1 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. rum flavoring
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- 6 egg yolks
- French silk icing
- mocha icing
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour loaf pan, 9x3x5 inches.
- In a large mixer bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- Blend in rum, shortening, milk and egg yolks. Beat 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 65-70 minutes or until tests done with wooden toothpick. Turn out to cool completely.
- Trim edges and top of cake to make a rounded log shape. Save trimmings.
- Cut cake lengthwise into 4 layers. Reassemble log filling with layers of French silk icing.
- With some of the trimmings, make a branch 3 inches long and 1 inch diameter. Secure on top of log with French silk icing.
- Frost edges of log and branch with mocha Icing.
- With fork, make circular marking on the end of the log.
- Spread remaining French silk icing on top and sides of the log, rounding it while spreading. With a fork, make markings lengthwise to resemble bark.
- Garnish with pistachio nuts, green icing, or gum drop leaves to resemble vine on a log. Store cake in refrigerator.
French Silk Icing:
- Melt 3 squares unsweetened chocolate; cool.
- In mixing bowl, beat 4 cups confectioners' sugar, 1 cup soft butter, 1 egg, the melted chocolate, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth and fluffy.
Dissolve 1 teaspoon instant coffee in 1 tablespoon hot water, stir in 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar until smooth. Add a few drops of water (more if necessary) for spreading consistency.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Guide