Planning an Authentic German Style Christmas

Our family has started a new tradition as of last year, choosing a specific country and doing their traditions and meals, etc. for Christmas. What a wonderful time we had with Italy.

This year we chose Germany. I am researching their customs, foods, etc., but would like to know if anyone has their own original ideas. Goose seems to be the main course. This will be interesting as I've never eaten or made goose before.

I'm wondering what kind of centerpiece to use also. On Dec. 11th we will all be taking the train into Chicago to shop at the Christkindl Market in Daley Plaza. I am going to see if I can buy a German Christmas pyramid on eBay along with a German smoker. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I so want this to be fun.

By Bonnie from Zion, IL

Germans serve something sweet and something sour on their tables ex. sweet pickles-dill pickles or maybe German Potato Salad is an idea for you. I visited Germany and maybe there's a pic or so in my album I can email you and then you can duplicate for your table or walls for a German themed Christmas.

Provide me your email in a message and I'll scan some pics your way.

I don't know what you call them, but I always think of those wooden decorations that hold candles, and the rising heat from the candles turn little fans. That was a really bad description, wasn't it? :-) I was born in Germany, and my dad's side of the family has a lot of German in it. Maybe my dad will know what they're called. But I think they're a fairly traditional decoration. And, of course, there are the German nutcrackers.

I'll try to remember to ask my dad about food. I recently asked him about holiday traditions, and one thing he remembers (he's in his 70s) is his mom giving the kids a spoonful of some sort of oil (Castor?) the night before a big holiday.

It was supposed to clean them out. I don't know if it was to make room for more food, or if it was just a good thing to do on a holiday.

We did German food for Thanksgiving a couple years ago. We cooked schnitzel. I made German potato salad, and Mom cooked some cabbage. I think we had traditional Thanksgiving desserts. It sounds like a nice tradition you're starting. I hope you and your family thoroughly enjoy it!

Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Christmas TraditionsNovember 13, 2010
🍀
💘