Making a Dracula Costume

Category Costumes
One of the most popular Halloween costumes is Count Dracula. It's a relatively easy costume to put together yourself. This is a guide about making a Dracula costume.

I have made capes out of twin size black flat bed sheets. They're $5 at Wal-Mart. Just find the middle of 1 edge of the sheet, and cut straight to the opposite corner on the bottom. Do the same on the other side.

I don't finish the edges. I just leave the borders the way it came. If you make 2, switch the edges so 1 will have a wide edge in the other will have a skinny edge.

Flip and put right sides together and sew from the bottom to the top of the triangle. This way if anything is off it will be trimmed away for the collar, sew the cut edges together you can either make a collar that is rounded or pointed.

I use a pillowcase for the collar or a hood.

I used a plate to cut out the neck area and the same plate to determine the inside edge of the collar I used a light craft foam as a stabilizer in the collar if you wanted it to stand up. You can straighten out the bottom and hem it, but it's really not necessary. It's not that obvious.

By Babette from Lemon Grove, CA

I am looking for ideas for making a Dracula costume for my husband. I bought the teeth, but would like to do the rest as cheaply as possible. Any ideas would be great.

Stephanie from Mississippi

Answers

By Karen (Guest Post)

They have capes for $1 at most of the dollar stores call around and see if there still in stock they normally go fast

By Lee (Guest Post)

A formal white shirt, black pants, black satin cumberbund, a blood-red bow tie and white Marine's gloves will create the rest of the costume to go with the cape. Add slicked down hair with a slightly off-center part, plus white or very pale face makeup. Add some dark shadow under the eyes and in the cheek hollows, dark eyeliner all around the eye shape, and black mascara to create the menacing look of The Count himself. Find more family Halloween ideas at http://parenting.leehansen.com/

Great description of an easy way to become Dracula for the night, Lee! Another addition could be to use a large black handle-tie garbage bag for the cape.

As long as it is large enough and you have most of the other elements together, this works really well.

I am looking for an idea to cut a pattern for a Dracula cape. Any suggestions?

By Melody from Durban

Answers

Jo-Ann fabrics has patterns for all types of clothing, including costumes. You'll have best luck trying in early October.