Shop for Gifts at the Dollar Store

This year when Christmas shopping, consider buying gifts as well as decorative items from your local dollar store. I went into our dollar store yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised at the amount of decorative items as well as gift items available - and at such a reasonable price!

By Robin

Oh my talk about $aving$....I get everything from 40 sq feet of wrapping paper for a dollar to decor, to stocking stuffers.

I bought 5 plain wreaths, 2 9ft wire ribbon and made wreaths for 5 windows on my house I did go to the fabric store and get berry garland which was 50% off 1.99 so that was 99 cents. So I figure each wreath cost me $2.25 each. A lot of savings. I think if I would have bought it. The entire thing would have cost clost to $10.

My sister and I buy at the $ store and have for many years now. You would be surprised at what you can find there sometimes. Once I got a tiara for all the girls for 99cents. They retailed for $15 from Wilton. Once you have bought your items no one will know where you got them unless you tell them.

It is also a great place to take the kids to buy gifts for people on their list. This is another thing that we have done with our grandkids every since the $ stores came out. And it is a yearly outing for my sister, myself and the kids. They are already asking when do we get to go this year.

Glitz

I buy discount when ever I can BUt I must look at ORIGIN of products, due to the massive recalls world-wide.

I had picked up some ornaments to hang around the house recently and when I took them out of the package, there was such a chemical smell that made me choke, I discarded them.

Remember that items do come into our country that have not met safety standards for use around/for our children. Doesn't matter if it is Dollar Store type stores, Walmart, Target, etc. You have to watch and evaluate for your own family.

If thre is any opportunity for a child to touch and get into the mouth, think twice. Even pets get sick this way.

The above is just an example, this happens very often.

I shop at the dollar store for sandwich baggies and trash bags and paper towels and detergents and cleaners, they used to only have their brand or an off brand but now they carry national brands and they also take manufacturer coupons, this adds up to a lot of savings. I did a comparison once, the items cost me approx. $30 at the dollar store-this was a restock shop of the above items, and I used coupons. I did the same shop a month later at W-mart and used the same coupons and it cost me $42.00-that's a savings of $12.00! Definitely worth a trip!

I have tried to purchase some name brand things at the dollar store, but the quality is not the same as the store I usually shop from. I am convinced they buy seconds or products that did not pass quality control for some reason.

As several of the articles have pointed out..... so many of the items come from China! While I shop there for greeting cards, gift wrap, crossword puzzle books I do not buy items like toothpaste for example. One day I saw a tube of AIM toothpaste and guess what? It did not have the 800 phone number for questions/comments. Also it was an odd size. Otherwise it looked like the real deal! Even stuff for kids is not a good idea. The old adage "buyer beware" is so true!

Shop locally! ignore chains and dollar stores except for inexpensive plastic containers to use for storage. Example. I am developing arthritis in my knuckle. My daughter suggested I go to a health food store for arnica gel. I did. There were gels, one salve and three different arnica oils, two of which were "pure" while the third was from the German company Weleeda. The pure oils cautioned against using too much directly on the skin. What was the point? The Welleeda oil was messy. The gels were commercial products although one said for use with arthritis and tendonitis. I was weighing that gel against a salve. The gel is made in Mexico and the salve in a neighboring town. I chose the salve.

Ugh, the dollar store. Such garbage. Poorly made junk from China. If you're going to go cheap, at least go with quality.

My husband and I bought most of our Christmas gifts at the Dollarama. We bought a singing stocking for both my mother and stepdad each and filled it with things like pencils, erasers, pens etc. We also gave them another gift each from Giant Tiger store. We really had fun filling the stockings with stuff we knew they needed and cost us very little to satisfy them. We do watch where the merchandise comes from though.

Holidays and Parties Christmas Gifts FrugalDecember 7, 2004
A couple opening wedding gifts.
Registering for Wedding Gifts
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
Freezing Candy
Freezing Candy
🎄