Making Fleece Throws

I used to be 5 foot 6 inches, but now I am possibly 5 foot 4 inches since I got old and started shrinking. I have always had trouble with the fleece throws you buy at the store. Most are not long enough for me, let alone my 6 foot 4 inch son or my 5 foot 11 inch daughter-in-law.

I stewed and fussed about this for a long time and finally got some fleece fabric in 2 1/2 yard pieces and made throws for the whole family. Since fleece doesn't ravel or fray like woven fabrics a hem wasn't necessary. I just straight stitched around all 4 edges to keep the shape of the fabric stable. If you want to you can spend all that extra money on blanket binding but that really isn't necessary.

The very best part is they love them! DH brings up what a good idea that was every time he sprawls out on the couch. I found my fabric on sale and I already had miles of thread so it didn't cost a great deal to bring all this pleasure.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

I have made 3 of these just for my house and more than that for family/friend gifts! I love mine and they get used all the time. The only thing is, is that I hate sewing. So, I bought 2 different colors of fleece (mine match, but I guess it doesn't have to if you want it to be reversible) in 2½ yd panels and laid them on my floor with the wrong sides together. I made a cut every 3 inches (and cut out a square on each corner) and then tied the two fabrics together. It probably only took me an hour or so from start to finish, and it's really warm because its double the fabric! I love projects I can start and actually see the results almost instantly. And, it can just be thrown in the washer and washed normally. :)