Making a Fleece Blanket

Category Miscellaneous
Fleece fabric is a good choice for making a blanket, it is soft, warm, and easy to work with. This is a guide about making a fleece blanket.

I made my husband and I fleece blankets for Christmas a of couple years ago. My daughter really wanted one (and I wanted her to learn to sew) so we picked this as her first sewing project since it's a very simple, forgiving project with a big fuzzy reward :)

• 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for front
  • 2 yd 60-inch wide fleece for back
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors

The No-Sew fleece sets are a huge savings over buying the fabric separately. The fabric store was selling the sets at 50% off, plus a 15% off purchase coupon, so I was able to get all the fabric for $12.75. Fleece fabric by the yard was running $15/yard, so the kit was a significant savings over buying the 4 yards of fabric separately.

1. Place fabric, pretty sides together, and pin along the edges. I skipped this part when I made mine, but it's a good idea for a first project.
  2. Show your teen how to thread your machine.
  3. Start in the middle of one of the long sides. Sew about 1-inch in from the edge since the fabric will have a rough edge.

I taught my daughter to lock the thread by going forward/back/forward, even though my machine has a lock option. I also showed her that it's actually easier to sew straight if you put the pedal to the metal rather than trying to be super slow and cautious. We also learned how to use the seam ripper!
  4. Ad

5. When you get to the corner, you can either sew all the way to the end of the fabric then start at the end of the short edge to sew straight, or I showed my daughter how to have the machine end with the needle in the down position and pivot the fabric.
  6. Continue all the around the blanket. Stop stitching and lock your thread about 5 inches from your starting point.
  7. Trim off extra fabric from around the edges.
  8. Ad

9. Pull the fabric through the hole so that the pretty sides are now facing out. You can use the eraser side of a pencil to help push out the insides of the corners.
  10. Whip stitch the opening shut. I showed Jenna how to start with the knot on the inside. Try to keep small, even, discrete stitches.
  11. Ad

12. Cuddle with blanket. This is her brother doing what he called a "cuddle bomb".

I used to be 5 foot 6 inches, but now I am possibly 5 foot 4 inches since I got old and started shrinking. I have always had trouble with the fleece throws you buy at the store. Most are not long enough for me, let alone my 6 foot 4 inch son or my 5 foot 11 inch daughter-in-law.

I stewed and fussed about this for a long time and finally got some fleece fabric in 2 1/2 yard pieces and made throws for the whole family. Since fleece doesn't ravel or fray like woven fabrics a hem wasn't necessary. I just straight stitched around all 4 edges to keep the shape of the fabric stable. If you want to you can spend all that extra money on blanket binding but that really isn't necessary.

The very best part is they love them! DH brings up what a good idea that was every time he sprawls out on the couch. I found my fabric on sale and I already had miles of thread so it didn't cost a great deal to bring all this pleasure.

By MartyD from Houston, TX

Fleece blankets are great, but costly if the quality is good. Now the fabric stores have their fleece on sale-mostly 50% off. 4 yards will be a good size and will cover the top (only) of a queen bed. We have one on the bed and with a bedspread or other cover on top, it never has fallen off and we don't miss the fact that it doesn't go down the sides. They are good to wrap up in and watch tv also.

Fleece doesn't ravel, so you need only get the store to cut all 4 sides straight. You can cut the sides for fringe or sew designs on if desired. For fringe, just cut 1 inch wide as long a length desired all the way around and that's all.

This is a good gift as well as useful in your home. And if you live in a very cold climate, put 1 or 2 in the car in case of problems that might cause you to be stranded with no working heater.

Wash in cold water, alone or only with other fleece to prevent early pilling and use only powder detergent. Never put an iron on it, it will melt and leave a mess on the iron.

By Jeane in TX

This is a guide about adding a crochet edge to a fleece blanket. If you crochet, you can dress up the edge of a simple to make fleece blanket.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about craft: fleece pet blankets. You pet will love having a fleece blanket that you have made.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making fleece lap blankets. Making a fleece blanket will help keep you or a loved one warm and makes a great gift.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making fleece tie blankets. You don't even need to know how to sew to make these blankets with just some sharp scissors, the fabric, and lots of tied knots.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I am not a "crafty" person but I still wanted to figure out how to make some gifts for Christmas and save a bit of money at the same time. I found the ideal thing for those people like myself who are not talented at making nice gifts.

Try fleece throws! You don't have to do any sewing at all! All you need is the fleece and a good pair of scissors! Then just tie! It's easy and everyone loves them! There are even kits in some stores, though they are sometimes more expensive than just buying the fleece.

If you think you need some instructions to follow it would be worth buying the kits. Otherwise, just ask around or go on the internet for instructions on how to make these beautiful, warm throws for gifts. I haven't found anyone yet who did not love them!

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Making Fleece Throws

When you make the fleece throws, you need to by 48 inches of 2 types of fleece (coordinating colors) one for the front and one for the back. Remember to cut out 4-5 inch squares from each of the 4 corners to keep the corners square when you are finished. (Try a piece of paper first and you'll understand why.) Then cut 1 inch strips of both pieces of fleece all the way around the 4 sides (I cut mine together) and then tie all the way around. Hope this helps. (11/22/2005)

By Tuppertil

Making Fleece Throws

What do you mean "tie" - where do you tie? I would like exact, specific instructions, because there is no photograph of the finished throw. (09/11/2006)

By Mary

Making Fleece Throws

When you cut the fleece into strips, you tie each strip together to the opposite side of the fleece you cut. (09/11/2006)

By imaqt1962

Making Fleece Throws

Oh, I think I've figured out what you're getting at! My compliments, it's pretty clever. Basically, you're making a 2-ply blanket. Here's how it's done:

Get two pieces of fleece, 10 inches longer and wider than you want (example: if you want a blanket that's 36 inches on a side, get two pieces of fleece that are 46 inches on each side). Two contrasting solids, or a pattern and a coordinating solid would probably work best.

Cut a 5-inch square out of each corner of each piece. You should end up with two pieces of fleece that look like really fat plus-signs (in addition to eight 5-inch squares). Set the squares aside for another project. Iff you can sew, they would probably make a nice matching 2x2 pillow or possibly a stuff-sack if the blanket fits in it.

Cut 5-inch long fringe at 1-inch intervals on all four sides of both pieces. You may want to faintly mark this out on the wrong side of the fleece with chalk or pencil before cutting.

Be a "little" anal-retentive about this, because you'll need to have the same number of fringe strands for each piece.

If you started with two 46-inch square pieces, you should end up with two 36-inch square pieces that have an extra 5 inches fringe on all four sides.

Put the WRONG sides of both pieces together so that you have two layers. Each strand of fringe in any given layer should have a counterpart on the other layer.

Using an overhand knot (the kind of knot you use to keep the end of a string from fraying) tie one strand of fringe from each layer together so that it resembles a tassel. (Remember how we said that the number of fringe strands on both pieces should match? This is why.)

Continue around the blanket until all the fringe is tied off.

Tah-dah!

This would be a great gift for someone who just got a new car -- especially if the two pieces of fleece match the paint and upholstery! (12/03/2008)

By Clueless