Homemade Simmering Granules?

Category Miscellaneous
You can make your own simmering granules using the scents that you favor. This is a page about homemade simmering granules.

Can anyone help? I've just made some simmering granules for the first time. I haven't coloured them; I left them natural. I let them dry as suggested for 36 hours. I've noticed that while they are warming they look as if they are burnt. Is this correct?

Answers

They should not look burnt. They might have been done at 24 hours.

No. That is not normal.

What was your recipe? If your recipe called for color and you did not add it, that could be the issue.

I have found when making things like this if you don't follow the recipe exactly as written, you can get bad outcomes. Now if it said color is optional, it could be something else.

Were all of your tools clean and dry?

Everything was clean and dry.
As im new to this I was just experimenting.
I mixed a very small amount of candle fragrance oil with some rock salt,i left it in a dish to dry for 23hrs.

I learned this the hard way, with recipes for things like this, the measurements need to be very precise and the "recipe" needs to one that is tried and true. This goes for crafting and cooking.

I also learned that I have to convert things exactly--like if the recipe comes in grams, and my scale is ounces and pounds, I need to find a converter that gives exact conversions not one that rounds up or down.

My best suggestion would be, if you have a big box craft store (or a mom and pop shop near by) to talk to them about a proven recipe and then follow it to the letter.

Sadly while experimentation is a lot of fun, you can waste a lot of money and supplies when things go wrong.

Post back with an update on how your crafting goes!! Blessings!

Thank you for your advice,I'm going to make some more tomorrow.
I'm using up FO that I have at the moment and the salt was quite cheap,so thankfully not really to expensive at the moment.
I will definitely let you k ow how it goes.

I have just purchased some CSS (course sea salt). I'm wondering if that is one of the issues as I used natural rock salt.

I am sorry...what is CSS? It is not an abbreviation I know.

I have asked around and none of my friends make these, so I do not have a tried and true recipe.

Finding one from a reliable source and using exactly what they suggest is going to give you the best outcomes!

When you find one, share it here! I think the other readers would enjoy finding one that works!

CSS is an abbreviation for course sea salt.
I'm going to try 200g with 2g of fragrance,will ket you know how it goes.

That makes sense. It was just confounding me! Post back how it works!

If it all work, Thrifty Fun, has a craft contest you can enter!

www2.thriftyfun.com/.../index.lasso?contest_id=8

The link on how to enter and all the rules is above!

That is one I have never heard before. Perhaps because CSS means something very different and specific on the internet.

I've edited your original feedback to make it clear. :)

Sorry about the confusion with the abbreviation for course sea salt.
Have just checked and it seems to have dried out.
Will be warming it tomorrow,fingers crossed it works.
I used 100g of salt and 2g of fragrance,this was a recipe I see some one mention.
Will give verdict tomorrow.

Can anyone help me? I've made salt sizzlers, but am not sure how to dry them out. Do I leave them to dry in a container with the lid on or do I leave the lid off to air dry? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks.

Please could you tell me the ingredients to make my own simmering granules? I can't seem to find any recipes. Thank you.

By Chris

Answers

Several recipes on this site.

I have just got public liability insurance for my craft stall. I know about CLC for fragrances and allergens, etc. as I make but do not sell candles. I would love to make some simmering granules to try out. Would I need to re-advise my insurance company? I know I would have to if I were to sell candles. I just wandered if the same rules applied for the granule. It's my first stall.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Answers

I just finished a class through my small biz development center and the speaker on insurance said you have to notify your insurance agent of any changes to your business. I don't know if your state is the same, so it warrants a call to your agent. Best wishes for your venture!

I would call the insurance company and ask them. They may tell you you cannot , or they may charge more.

Thank you so much better to be safe than sorry I will give them a call now, thank you for wishing me luck also I'm so excited to see if things take off for me :)

I have just got off the phone I am already covered to make them but I'm glad that I know for sure now, thank you for your help very much appreciated :)

It is nice to see people excited about a new business.
Well wishes to you from all of us.
Hope it is a tremendous success.!

Where insurance is involved, it is always best to keep them informed of any changes (doing more or doing less) or you may be paying more than you should or be paying without the proper coverage.

Can you send me a video or tell me how to make simmering crystal melts for oil burners?

Would anyone have the recipe for homemade simmering crystals? I don't know which dye to use or which fragrance. Is it oil based?

Can anyone tell me if I can use rock salt to make scented simmering crystals for my oil burner? If so can someone tell me how to make it or put a link on with a video to show me how to make some please?

Thx

I tried to add colour to my granules, but they went a bit mushy and wet. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?
Thank you.

By Joan

Answers

Anonymous

Hi, I normally spread the coloured granules out onto a baking try with parchment paper and let them dry out for 24 hours to 48 hours.
Hope this helps to stop them going mushy

Hi Joan
I put mine on baking tray with parchment paper underneath and let them dry out for 24-48 hours after adding food colouring and oil.
Hope this helps

I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking into making my own sizzlers at home. Does anyone have any idea what I need to buy and how to do them? Google isn't helping me.

I have made some simmering granules with dishwasher salt, food colouring, and fragrance oil and left them to dry for 24 hours on a tray uncovered. They smelled strong, but then when I put them on a burner they don't let off much scent? Help please.

I buy too many sizzler granule pots off people so I decided to try and make my own. Do I colour the salt with food colouring? Can any one step by step me? Please x

Can someone tell me how to make my own fragranced simmering crystals?

Thanks.

I'm interested in making the scented granules, but I'm struggling to find the right little white rocks. They definitely aren't made from rock salt as I've already tried them, even though they work they aren't the same. The picture is to show what I'm looking for.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

I recently put a request on ThriftyFun for how to make my own simmering granules. I had a reply, but seem to have lost it. Can anyone help? It's the ones made from salt. Many thanks.

By helen from UK

Answers

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful to you :-)
www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?38655-Simmering-granules

www.craftserver.com/.../showthread.php?t=89249&goto=nextnewest

Crafts MiscellaneousMay 30, 2013
🌻
👔
😷
🎆
😎
🐛