Homemade Simmering Granules?

Hi, Im excited about making these and have got coarse sea salt, both FO and EO. Just wondering for colour, can I add liquid food colouring?

This is to use for my tea light oil burner. Thanks heaps.

Answers

Best Answer

Food coloring most likely will stain your receptacle.

Please be careful making these and burning these if you are using a candle to release the scent. I had a fire years ago from granules that used a tea light to release the smell. Had I not been close by, I shudder to think what would have happened. A pair of drapes was burned and the wall scorched in seconds before I could put it out. Thank G-d no one died.

www.servicemasterrestore.com/.../

Best Answer

I'm not sure how long food coloring will last but it should be safe to use.
I would say to just try it with one batch and see if you like it.

Answer this Question

15 More Questions

Can anyone help? I've just made some simmering granules for the first time. I haven't coloured them; I left them natural. I let them dry as suggested for 36 hours.

I've noticed that while they are warming they look as if they are burnt. Is this correct?

Answers

They should not look burnt. They might have been done at 24 hours.

No. That is not normal.

What was your recipe? If your recipe called for color and you did not add it, that could be the issue.

I have found when making things like this if you don't follow the recipe exactly as written, you can get bad outcomes. Now if it said color is optional, it could be something else.

Were all of your tools clean and dry?

Everything was clean and dry.
As im new to this I was just experimenting.
I mixed a very small amount of candle fragrance oil with some rock salt,i left it in a dish to dry for 23hrs.

I learned this the hard way, with recipes for things like this, the measurements need to be very precise and the "recipe" needs to one that is tried and true. This goes for crafting and cooking.

I also learned that I have to convert things exactly--like if the recipe comes in grams, and my scale is ounces and pounds, I need to find a converter that gives exact conversions not one that rounds up or down.

My best suggestion would be, if you have a big box craft store (or a mom and pop shop near by) to talk to them about a proven recipe and then follow it to the letter.

Sadly while experimentation is a lot of fun, you can waste a lot of money and supplies when things go wrong.

Post back with an update on how your crafting goes!! Blessings!

Can anyone help me? I've made salt sizzlers, but am not sure how to dry them out. Do I leave them to dry in a container with the lid on or do I leave the lid off to air dry? Or is there another way of doing it?

Thanks.

Please could you tell me the ingredients to make my own simmering granules? I can't seem to find any recipes. Thank you.

By Chris

Answers

Several recipes on this site.

Answer this Question

Can someone please give me the recipe of how to make Homemade Simmering Granules. I have looked everywhere for them.

I have just got public liability insurance for my craft stall. I know about CLC for fragrances and allergens, etc. as I make but do not sell candles. I would love to make some simmering granules to try out. Would I need to re-advise my insurance company? I know I would have to if I were to sell candles. I just wandered if the same rules applied for the granule. It's my first stall.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Answers

I just finished a class through my small biz development center and the speaker on insurance said you have to notify your insurance agent of any changes to your business. I don't know if your state is the same, so it warrants a call to your agent. Best wishes for your venture!

It is nice to see people excited about a new business.
Well wishes to you from all of us.
Hope it is a tremendous success.!

Where insurance is involved, it is always best to keep them informed of any changes (doing more or doing less) or you may be paying more than you should or be paying without the proper coverage.

Answer this Question

Can you send me a video or tell me how to make simmering crystal melts for oil burners?

Would anyone have the recipe for homemade simmering crystals? I don't know which dye to use or which fragrance. Is it oil based?

Can anyone tell me if I can use rock salt to make scented simmering crystals for my oil burner? If so can someone tell me how to make it or put a link on with a video to show me how to make some please?

Thx

Answers

Hi,

I had put a YouTube link to your original post. There are lots of videos out there. This is a link to the original answers:

www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Fragranced-Simmering-Crystals...

You can use Rock Salt.

I do encourage you to be very careful when making simmering crystals that you follow the instructions carefully and never leave them unattended.

People don't think these can be flammable but in some situations (like using the wrong oil) they can be.

Post back with the recipe and video you like best so others can learn from your experience!

I tried to add colour to my granules, but they went a bit mushy and wet. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?
Thank you.

By Joan

Answers

Anonymous

Hi, I normally spread the coloured granules out onto a baking try with parchment paper and let them dry out for 24 hours to 48 hours.
Hope this helps to stop them going mushy

Hi Joan
I put mine on baking tray with parchment paper underneath and let them dry out for 24-48 hours after adding food colouring and oil.
Hope this helps

Hiya just wondering if you can help me how granules you use to the FO and dye please? Thankypy

Answer this Question

I am just wondering if anyone can help me. I'm looking into making my own sizzlers at home. Does anyone have any idea what I need to buy and how to do them? Google isn't helping me.

I have made some simmering granules with dishwasher salt, food colouring, and fragrance oil and left them to dry for 24 hours on a tray uncovered. They smelled strong, but then when I put them on a burner they don't let off much scent? Help please.

I buy too many sizzler granule pots off people so I decided to try and make my own. Do I colour the salt with food colouring? Can any one step by step me? Please x

Can someone tell me how to make my own fragranced simmering crystals?

Thanks.

Answers

Thrifty Fun has a whole section here www.google.com/.../Homemade-Simmering-Granules-amp.html

I'm interested in making the scented granules, but I'm struggling to find the right little white rocks. They definitely aren't made from rock salt as I've already tried them, even though they work they aren't the same.

The picture is to show what I'm looking for.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

I think you need to use salt crystals.

There was just a gal on the site and we were having this same conversation. She was using coarse sea salt.

Here is the thread:

www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Homemade-Simmering-Granules...

Remember safety first with making these!! Oils can be quite flammable!

Answer this Question

I recently put a request on ThriftyFun for how to make my own simmering granules. I had a reply, but seem to have lost it. Can anyone help? It's the ones made from salt. Many thanks.

By helen from UK

Answers

Here are a couple of links that might be helpful to you :-)
www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?38655-Simmering-granules

www.craftserver.com/.../showthread.php?t=89249&goto=nextnewest

Answer this Question
Crafts MiscellaneousMay 30, 2013
🌻
👔
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Homemade-Simmering-Granules.html