Substituting Bouillon Cubes with Bouillon Granules

Category Conversions
Bouillon granules can easily be substituted for the cubes in a recipe, you just need to have the conversion information. This is a guide about substituting bouillon cubes with bouillon granules.

If a recipe calls for chicken bouillon cubes and you only have granules, do you know how many cubes equals so many tablespoons of granules?

jho from Chassell

Answers

Usually you add 1 cube to make 1 cup of bullion. How many tsp of granules does it say on jar to make 1 cup of bullion? That would be the amount you use to substute for 1 cube.

By Chayil (Guest Post)

Depending on the brand of granules (and the brand of cubes, for that matter), it's usually one teaspoon of granules to one cup of water. The directions are right on the jar's label, though, to be fair, they may be a bit small.

My experience is that one cube = one teaspoon.

Then how many 1 TBSP then

Anonymous

1 TBSP = 3 teaspoons, 1 tsp of granules would be 1/3 Tbsp of granules

1 Tbsp = 3 tsp, so 1 tsp of granules = 1/3 Tbsp granules (more than a 1/4 Tbsp but less than 1/2 Tbsp)

I use to use Wylers chicken granules and since they have been replaced with the chicken powder I have no idea how much to use. I find there isn't much taste in the powder. What I wanna know is how much powder to use for 2 tablespoons of granules, or even if I use chicken cubes how much of those for 2 tbs.?

Thank you.

Answers

If you are talking about the ones that come in foil packets use one packet for each tablespoon.

Usually the measurements on the container will state how much of each to make one cup of broth. i checked some sites and it seems that most of the companies state the same measurements:
Normal size cube: 1 cube + water = 1 cup broth
Powder: 1 tsp powder + water = 1 cup broth
Granules: 1 tsp + water = 1 cup broth
Take this with the measurement that 1 Tbsp = 3 tsp and multiply 2 Tbsp x 3 tsp - 6 of any one (cube, powder, granules).
Although the answer would be 6 of any one (cube, powder, gradual) to equal 2 Tbsp, I would suggest you start with less and add more if needed.

I believe when using powder form the "taste" will get stronger after it has set for a while so do not add more than called for.