Adding a Crochet Edge to a Fleece Blanket

Category Ideas
If you crochet, you can dress up the edge of a simple to make fleece blanket. This is a guide about adding a crochet edge to a fleece blanket.

What kind of tool and template is used to make holes in fleece material so that a crocheted edge can be made?

By Mary from Eagleville, PA

Answers

If I were to crochet an edge on a baby blanket as shown in the photo I wouldn't bother with a special tool or template. I would use a small crochet hook to poke the holes, plus crochet the edging as I was going around the edge.

I have a sister that crochets handles or whatever they are called on terry dish towels that you hang them on a cabinet handle with, and she doesn't use anything other than the hook she is using for the crocheting.

I've always used those large bbq forks. Just insert the fork in the last hole you make and carry on all the way round.

They are evenly spaced and a perfect size.

I haven't tried this yet. You know spiral ring school writing notebooks, when you rip off a sheet of paper, use the strip with holes as a measuring device spacer, mark holes-use metal crochet hook, the holes will be evenly spaced. Hey, free. joanie

My mother used to use a sharp metal needle.
If you want a more uniform look try threading a yarn needle with your your yarn then blanket stitching at regular intervals all the way round. 1/4 inch is good for most crochet with yarn.

Go to skipstitch.com and order a skip stitch rotary blade that works wonders on punching the holes. I have tried all different methods and this works the best. I have all the ladies at my work using the skip stitch blade also.

Take a look at www.edgerydoo.com

These are templates to aid making the holes evenly and you can punch through 4 layers at a time so that it is quick.

Go to www.skipstitch.com and take a look at their blades. They work great and can be used with a 45mm rotary cutting tool.

This sure does save a lot of time. No more punching holes and this blade makes evenly spaced holes for crocheting edges.

Anonymous

Can the slip stitch blade go through two layers of fleece fabric?

When you crochet a fabric blanket with a hole hem stitch, where do you begin? Do I start in the corner or middle of work? It's going to have four rows of crochet stitches.

By Raquel

Answers

I recommend that you start in the corner, so that you can end in the corner.

How do you crochet around a blanket edge? Do you have to hand sew around it first? I just want to make a very light weight blanket. They are all so heavy. I'd just like to use a soft double piece of flannel or something similar.

By Phyllis from Fort Madison, IA

Answers:

Crocheted Blanket Edge

Yes, first hem your fabric (unless it doesn't fray like with fleece). To crochet around fabric, unless your fabric is woven very loosely (like monks-cloth) you'll have to first sew around the edge with the "blanket stitch" or "hem stitch" using either the same crochet cotton (if it's super thin) or use a color of embroidery thread that's matches the yarn you'll be using to crochet with. Sew the stitches fairly close together (at about 1/4 - 1/3 an inch apart and try to keep them at the same length apart if possible).

After you have this edging sewed into your work, you can then crochet into it. Buy a needle with an eye that's big enough to accommodate your yarn or thread. This can take a while if you use thin cotton, but don't be discouraged. Your lace work will be beautiful and worth every minute!

To make it extra-fancy (if it's not made for babies or young kids) you can also add beads to the crochet-work. You use what is called a "big-eye" needle (a long needle the opens in the center and not on the end). Add the beads to your yarn before crocheting then slip a bead down into your crochet work whenever you want one, then do a slip stitch around the bead to hold it in place. (10/15/2009)

By Cyinda

Crocheted Blanket Edge

I'm wanting to do the same thing. I saw something on YouTube that made me really want to do it! It's called a Skip Stitch blade for your rotary cutter, you use it like a rotary cutter, but it skips and place tiny cuts in measured increments! I saw it demonstrated on a fleece blanket, so cool! It's not in the mass market yet, you have to get it from the website, but if it's a matter of hand strength (which it is for me, injured hands) then this would be a great solution! (10/15/2009)

By Michawn

Crocheted Blanket Edge

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that you can also do this edge-stitching with a sewing machine. You use a thick thread (like for button holes) and your machine's blanket stitch. (or button-hole stitch) If the thick thread won't go through the needle you can wind it around your bobbin and sew the project upside down. You need to use the biggest machine stitches possible (both width and length). Machine sewing isn't as sturdy as hand-stitching, but it can work if you're in a hurry. But if you're going to spend all the time doing a lacy crochet edging, you might as well do it the most durable way and sew it by hand with embroidery floss or thin yarn, but I thought I'd throw this additional idea into the pot.

If you use the "Skip-Stitch blade" You can only use it into a fabric that doesn't fray (like fleece or felt). It's a great fix for those who want to crochet around fleece. For fleece, you can also use a regular hold-punch make for paper to punch holes to crochet into, but as I said earlier, you have to realize that even knits can run or fray. If you're using flannel (which is woven) to begin crocheting, you'll need to sew (with your machine or by hand) around the edges so you have a starting point to crochet into.

A HINT: every 20 or so stitches, rub your needle on or near your scalp. The oils from you scalp lubricate the needle and make it easier to insert into the fabric. (10/17/2009)

By Cyinda

This picture is on the ThriftyFun website. I'd like to know the pattern and stitches used to make the border of the blanket. Thanks.

By Jeanne from NY

Answers:

Crochet Edge Around a Fleece Blanket

Go to the youtube website. Click on videos and type in crochet edges around a fleece blanket. (12/15/2009)

By Marjorie

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What is a good way to crochet an edge around a fleece baby blanket?