Making Fleece Tie Blankets

Category Fabric
You don't even need to know how to sew to make these blankets with just some sharp scissors, the fabric, and lots of tied knots. This guide is about making fleece tie blankets.

Really fun and fast to make!

• 2.5 yards of fabric for each side of the blanket
  • sharp scissors (if you don't have very sharp scissors, it might take a while to cut)
  • masking tape (optional)
  • stuffing (optional)

1. Cut 3x3 inch corners from each corner.
  2. Line the masking tape up under where you cut the 3x3 boxes.
  3. Cut 1 inch wide strips down to where the masking tape is
  4. If you want to make it into a comforter, fill it with stuffing once you are 1/2 way done tying the knots.
  5. Knot it 2 times. If you only tie it once, it will untie pretty fast.

When buying fabric to make fleece blankets, get one with a plaid background, to save time in measuring for making the fringe around the edges. Use the width of your thumb for the width of each fringe, and the length of the scissors to the length of the fringe.

This way you don't have to measure using a ruler and marker, just follow the lines of the fabric. A great time saver.

By cutting down the time of making the fringe, you can make twice as many blankets for gifts to family and friends or to donate to children through Project Linus (www.projectlinus.org).

Editor's Note: They have a great link for patterns.

Kathy

This is a guide about making a no-sew dog throw. Making a easy no-sew dog throw will keep your furniture clean and your pup comfy.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

I am 11 Years Old and I love to Make no sew blankets! does any body else like to make these?

Emily from Kannsas City

Answers

I have recently heard of no sew blankets, I don't know what they are but would like a pattern. I am trying to make blankets for little children who have cancer. I don't have much money, I don't know how to knit, or sew much. I just want to help. Thank you

SHANNON IN NC

did you look at the fabric store, they should have instructions. The fleece can be cut and the edges given a number of decorative non sewing finishes. I got a free copy of fun with fleece at Hancocks or did you try a google search, here is a link i found
<P>http://www.expl  as/pom-jan03.htm <P>

I just made these. It is very easy. You will need one and a half yards of fleece material. On the top and bottom edges, make a fringe. I spaced it 1 inch apart and made each fringe 6 inches long. You can then make a knot in each fringe. It looks great without the knots also. Hope this makes sense.

ebay has a board called the soapbox
http://forums.e  ed=1104867079089
it has apost with pics and easy tofollow directions for making these bow tie blankets

I'm so glad you are doing this for a good cause. The 1 inch apart response is what I used on ours. I used to make "preemie" blankets for the N.I.C.U., they were greatly appreciated. Is the any special washing ahead rule that the cancer center gave you? I had one for the preemie blankets. Sandy in Kansas

"No-sew" blankets are usually just panels of fleece fabric. Fleece fabric doesn't need to be hemmed because it doesn't unravel or fray.

Most fleece that's marketed as "no-sew blankets" are pre-printed, pre-cut panels in a variety of designs (flowers, Scooby Doo, Hello Kitty, unicorn, whatever), but you can certainly use sections of plain or patterned fleece off the roll too, if you want different sizes.

No pattern is needed, as such. You just cut off a square or rectangle of fleece to the size you want, and voila, you've got a blanket. Of course, there are lots of ideas for fancy edging you can do easily. When you go to the fabric store, ask them if they have any free handouts that give ideas of what you can do with fleece fabric. Or if you have the time, you can also just browse through the books in the store that are about fleece fabric crafts.

Now is actually probably a good time to purchase "no-sew" blanket kits. After Christmas they often go on sale, since the winter giving season is drawing to a close. Good luck!

A BIG THANK YOU to everyone who has posted to my request. to purpenut43, no they did not give me any instructions, could you tell me yours just in case I might need to do that. The lady that I am talking to about making these recently lost her little son to cancer and has opened up a foundation in his honor to help out. But she didn't tell me of any special washing.
Thanks again so much

Shannon in NC

I made quite a few of these easy blankets for Christmas, they went over in a big way. I used one and a third yards each of two contrasting fleeces(good size for younger children-say toddler to young adult, but you can adjust amount fabric for larger) there are a lot more patterns and colors available than the kits offer, check out the remnants section in store for inexpensive lengths too. I washed and dried them before cutting them, fleece is pretty easy to work with. Lay out both pieces atop one another, careful to line them up to each other as best as possible with wrong sides (if there are any) facing each other (some imperfections along the edges can be trimmed and do not be too concerned about straight edges, once tied you will never notice if they were slightly crooked), then cut out a square from each corner, for example, a six inch by six inch square from each corner. now use scissors or a rotary cutter with the self healing mat, to cut 6 inch strips all the way around-cutting up from the edge toward the middle by six inches then move over an inch and repeat - now you will tie those strips together-tie the bottom strip to the top strip into a knot. That is it. I did mine completely by being told how to over the phone, draw it on paper first if that might help to visualize it. You can alter the dimensions however you need to, but keep the squares that you cut from the corners the same size as the length of strips.

This is a simple sew idea - My sister in law just made an fleece blanket-she stacked the two lengths of fleece and then sewed around the entire thing, about 6 inches from the edges, then using pinking shears, she cut the fringe and used the pinking shears on the ends of the fringe for consistency, it came out great and is a super easy sewing project, just need to be able to sew a straight line. She did not tie the strips, but you could if you wanted

well for starters you need to need to find a place with cheap fabric. i usually get mine from http://www.twinfabrics.com they are the cheapest that i have found compared to joann, hancock fabrics and so on. and to make the blankets are very easy. All you need to do is get the amount of fabric you want any were from 1 1/2 yards to 2 yards of each color or design you want to use. Then line of the fabrics. make sure you have the brighter sides facing up on both sides. Cut out 4 inch squares off of each corner and then cut straight lines all around the blanket about 1 inch apart from each other and then tie square knots. meaning tie a knot tying both of the pieces of fabric together. if you have any other questions just ask.

I had seen a polar fleece blanket that someone had made my hairdresser and I can't find the pattern to save my life. It was a polar fleece square about throw size and then it had a crochet edge around it. Does anyone know of a pattern that exists for this?

What a nice idea. There is a website that has a free no sew fleece pillow instructions. I think the concept is the same. http://www.imsuperbored.com. you will find it in the project archives.

They have kits at walmart.Take a look by the fabric section.

great idea its SO easy.. you bascially just put two pieces of fabric together and cut a square out of the corners and then cut stripes all the way around. tie, and you are done! check out this website..
http://www.expl  as/pom-jan03.htm

great idea i love those

I just recently made one of these blankets out of a single piece of fleece that was a remnant for our little dog. She loves it! The piece only cost me a dollar and dogs get cold too! Just thought I'd mention it in case you had animals that might love a blanket too.

Everything in your bedroom is a rectangle, so you can no-sew anthing you need for that room.

For pillowcases, cut two pieces 12" wider and 8" longer than your pillowcase is now. Cut the usual 6-inch strips and six-inch corners.

Tie around three sides, leaving the open end open. Put in your pillow and tuck the open end into the pillowcase. It will hold on to the pillow.

Do yourself a huge favor, and learn to sew.

I have sen quite a few patterns for crocheted edging on fleece baby blankets.
I don't crochet .
How would you do this by knitting?
Any help appreciated.

I am in the process of making a no sew fleece blanket, but i am having trouble with the corners. I know to cut a 5 inch square out of each corner, but how do you cut the strips out even after cutting the square out? It is still in an odd shape to cut straight lines.

The easier for me to under stand the directions the better I will understand. I'll be waiting to hear from you. Thank-you. Kathy

I have seen the blankets or throws made of two pieces of flannel and tied together, but I don't know how to start.

Do I need to stitch them together first? Do I just cut and tie? I might like to do these for my grand children for Christmas.

pm813 from Spring Lake, NC

Can someone tell me how to make a fleece blanket with ties?

By Beka from Burlington, IA

How do you make a blanket where the edges are cut in strips and then tied in knots all around the edges? It is a double sided blanket. I would want to make a large one for a double bed.

Debby from Vinton

Craft: No Sew Fleece Blanket

I enjoy making and giving homemade gifts for showers, birthdays, baby showers and I've found how easy it is to make "no sew" cut and tie fleece blankets. It's so simple: 2 pieces of fleece, 2 yards in length each and a pair of sharp scissors: cut out a 4x4 square off of each corner, then measure and cut 4 inches wide by 4 inches deep for the ties on each side, then simply tie them in knots.

I've never spent more than $10 to make this gift. What is wonderful about this craft idea is how customizable it really is. You can pick the size, color, and pattern of the fabric to suit the purpose. The most recent blanket was "Winnie the Pooh" on one side and a coordinating color on the other. My friend absolutely loved it and it was the hit of the shower.

By Carrie029 from El Paso, TX

Answers: