Toilet Paper Roll Favor Boxes

Our favor boxes were made from toilet paper rolls. We cut them in half and folded in the bottom, creating a cup. Then we painted them all white inside and out so the card board would harden. Then I glued fake rose petals on the outside, two on each side. Then I glued a fake one inside the roll in the bottom. They turned out pretty nice. We are placing pre-wrapped mints in them at each place setting.

By Kim from Chatham, Ontario

I know many peoople make things from toilet paper rolls, but think about it. Anything that spends a day next to a toilet is not what I would want on my table top near my food. Is this too fussy of me? May I suggest paper towel roller, or wrapping paper roller instead.

do you have any pictures. I'd love to see how they look finished

I agree with londa. ANYTHING kept in your bathroom is contaminated just by being there. (Even your toothbrushes.) Every time you flush the toilet the spray causes microscopic germs to fly up into the air and be redistributed onto anything in the vicinity of the bathroom. You could be risking people getting E. Coli, influenza or staph among the many germs that can be spread easily. Please use an empty paper towel roll or gift wrap roll. Also I have found many different types of small favor boxes, baskets and bags at my local dollar tree that were way cheaper than big department store chains to fill for my parties. I have also bought small favor containers at Michaels or Hobby Lobby and I just decorated them with small cheap flowers and ribbons from there or dollar tree.

Great idea! But after reading the other responses, I'm afraid to walk into my bathroom, let alone brush my teeth.

Editor's Note: Put them in the oven at 200 degrees for about 5 minutes and it should kill anything on them.

Man I think people are being delicate flowers about "oh no it was in my bathroom". I for one think this is a fabulous idea and very green to be recycling! As far as the craft store favour box suggestion, there is simply no comparison price wise to spending money on cardboard boxes that your guests are going to toss anyways vs re-using an every day household item. Keep in mind you run into more germs on a trip to the local mall than you would by receiving a homemade gift box made from an empty toilet paper roll.

if you are THAT worried about it I would suggest spending 2.99 on a can of lysol to spray down your rolls. But don't knock a fantastic, earth friendly and budget friendly idea.

Editor's Note: You can also put them in a 250 degree oven for a few minutes, that should kill anything that might be on them but watch them carefully.