West Virginia Christmas Charities

Category Charities
Every year ThriftyFun gets numerous requests from people looking for help for their families for Christmas. Since we do not have the resources to offer direct help, we have set up this guide to help people find charities in each state. This is a guide about finding Christmas charities in West Virginia.

Catholic Charities West Virginia may be able to provide assistance to low-income families during the holiday season.

West Virginia Food Banks are located throughout the state and can provide necessary staples for a holiday meal to low-income families and individuals.

Mountain Mission, providing assistance to those in need since 1926, has a Christmas Food Basket program. The program serves residents of Kanawha County who may need help with food this Christmas.

I have recently moved and all my money has gone for rent and bills. I have 2 daughters ages 9 and 11. It's been rough; we probably won't be celebrating this year. So does anyone know where I can get some help so my lil girls can have something for Christmas? I can't even afford to get a tree. It makes me feel so bad. Anyone know anywhere with it being so close to x- mas? Please help.

By Melissa from Huntington, WV

Answers

Best Answer

As a mother of 5 who spent more time raising my kids alone than with help from their father, you first need to check with your community centers. Most offer some assistance at Christmas time. Salvation Army usually offers gifts. Your kids will be fine, no matter how little you think they're getting. 3 of my kids are grown now, and very successful. I think getting by with less growing up, gave them a greater incentive to work hard. They're thriving now.

I'm a single mother of a 13 year old child. All of the charities I have located to ask for help for the holidays have turned me down because my girl is 13. Doesn't she deserve a good Christmas as well as children 12 and under.

By Nina

Answers

Best Answer

The charities have to draw the line some place. A kid only needs one gift from their parents and it doesn't have to have a designer label or or be something in the line of electronics. You can even find good quality things at thrift stores and some of it is new.

Doesn't your daughter have grandparents, aunts and uncles? I would think some of them would be getting gifts for her. Also you could speak to you pastor, sometimes they will take up a special offering for a needy member of the congregation.

Charities that offer help during the holiday season in West Virginia. Please post feedback about any charities you may know about.

Editor's Note: Do NOT post here if you need help. ThriftyFun does not have resources to give direct help to those in need.

Answers

Best Answer

www.angelfoodministries.org has a listing for West Virginia:

BIG SPRINGS Pleasant Hill United Methodist Church (304) 354-6951

CHARLESTON McKinnon Presbyterian Church
www.mckinnonpresby.org (304) 744-2815

GASSAWAY Mid State Church of God
(304) 364-8781

GLENVILLE VISIONS, VESSELS, & VICTORY, INC.
(304) 462-5751
(304) 462-5556

HICO Evangel Fellowship
(304) 574-0552

HUNTERSVILLE First Baptist Huntersville
(304) 799-0853

HUNTINGTON Sunshine Free Will Baptist Church
www.sunshinefwb.org (304) 429-3831

NEW CUMBERLAND Pilgrimage Mission
(304) 564-5251

OAK HILL Oak Hill First Brethren Church (304) 469-9114

SPENCER Memorial UMC
(304) 927-3650
(304) 377-9277

WEBSTER SPRINGS Compassionate Hope Church of God
www.compassionatehope.com
(email) (304) 847-5161

I was needing help finding any charities in Huntington WV that help with Christmas for kids. I was recently in the hospital and I have missed the deadlines for most of the programs. I am a single mother and I have an 11 1/2 month old baby that also turns one the day after Christmas. So I have been trying to figure out something to give her this Christmas.

She deserves something, she is the sweetest little girl and I want her to have a great Christmas. No local charities would help. I am not originally from the Huntington area so I don't know a whole lot of places that help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers

Many radio stations have programs where they help people for the holidays. I would contact one of them. Also contact the churches.

Your daughter is very young and probably will not know that Christmas day is not just "another day" in her young life but it is still nice for her to receive a special gift.

Your local churches may be your only hope this late in the year but if you are near any of the church thrift centers they will probably let you pick out a toy or doll that is appropriate for a one year old. Maybe a nice sweater?

Salvation Army rarely turns anyone away that is truly in need so that is a good place to start.

Of course, this all depends on whether you have transportation to check out these places.

If you will be alone at Christmas why not find out where the food/soup kitchens are having their Christmas dinner and join the crowd (that is if you are physically fit to travel there). Be sure to keep yourself and your baby away from anyone that appears to be sick as that is paramount at this time of year.

Hope your Christmas turns out to be a "special" day for you and your baby.

Thank you, yea I might check those out. There is a lot of churches up this way, just where I got out of the hospital I haven't been able to do much walking, but I will check on those. Thank you for reading and writing us back, have a great Christmas.

Thank you for reading my post and writing me back. And I'll do that check out the radio stations, I didn't think about that. I have been looking on the internet and ones like the salvation army and the toys for tots their deadlines have already ran out and they don't have any registration on their sites but I also wrote them personally as well. But thank you again for writing us and hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

You have my prayers that you can find a solution.

Even though it is very late in the game, you can call some of the local charities and ask if they know if places that can help. Here are some links:

www.wvsecretsanta.org/

www.needhelppayingbills.com/.../west_virginia_free_holiday_ass.html

unitedwaycwviandr.org/

unionmission.com/

www.foodpantries.org/.../wv-huntington

At such a tender age, perhaps you can shop your home to find things to entertain her if all else fails.

Prayers for you to find a solution and that your Christmas is merry and bright! Post back how it goes!

Thank you so much for writing us back..and I am checking out those that you sent me. Yea that's what I was worried about cause it was so late but I wrote the salvation army to in case they might have some stuff extra sometimes in case so I've been writing everyone.. But thank you for the help and have a great Christmas.

Post back how it all works for you so others can learn from what you learned. Prayers that your Christmas is a lovely one! Hug your baby close to help make your day special. Lots of healing prayers for you too! Take care!

Does anyone know of anywhere offering Christmas help for children near the Huntington, WV area? I am a single mother to two girls ages 6 and 4 and a little boy age 3. Any income I receive goes towards keeping our utilities paid. I am struggling financially right now and hate the thought of not being able to give my babies anything to open on Christmas. They know that that's not what the holiday is about, but they're such good kids. I don't want to see them have to go without anymore. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Answers

Contact Catholic Charities in West Virginia

Sending prayers that you can find solutions!! I find if you keep asking kindly, and even if someone says no, they may know someone who will say yes!!

Try some of your local churches like these:

www.wvtrinitychurch.org/contact.html

www.christcommunitywv.org/index.cfm?page=pathways-active-compassion

www.roundchurch.net/.../2018-12-08

You can post your needs here:

www.2hands.org/contactus.html

You can contact Toys for Tots:

www.toysfortots.org/default.aspx

There is also this organization who can help you will bills which is important this time of year and always!

This link also has some good ideas:

lowincomerelief.com/.../

Post back if you locate info as it can help others! Prayers abound!

There is a family that just moved to Martinsburg. Where can I find help for them for Christmas? There are two small children, ages 2 and 3. Mom is a single mom who just moved in with our son. They went to high school together.
My son was living at home, but didn't want to see this girl and her little ones on the street.
We are trying to help all we can, but our funds are low.
I would like to find out how to get these children some gifts for Christmas?

By Lorie

Answers

Hello,
I would love to help you give some gifts to these children. I'm trying to teach my son how important it is to give to others. I want to include him in this process 100%. We have lots of toys that are barely used that we would love to donate. We will even wrap them. Please let me know how I can get these toys to the family in need.
Thank You,
Jordan

I am a young mother of 2 girls, 4 and 7 years old. I'm desperately trying to find any kind of Christmas help for them. We don't have much and as soon as all the bills and stuff is paid, we're broke. My girls deserve a break, they're very good kids and have been through so much in the past 2 years with my 2 sisters passing away and 5 other close relatives passing too. I just want so badly for this Christmas to not be like their last one, they are so excited about Santa coming and I'm scared their going to be let down. If anyone knows any way for me to get them some Christmas gifts please let me know! Thank you

By Pinkie