Freshening Sour Laundry

When a load of wet laundry got left in the dryer for a week the smell was horrendous. I soaked the whole load in the washer overnight with a cup of vinegar in the water, then drained it and rewashed with laundry soap. As good as new!

By Linda

By cath alksnis (Guest Post)

I use vinegar as a rinse aid in my dishwasher, it cut through grease and has many more uses that you just wouldn't believe!!!

By Teri (Guest Post)

Does vinegar work in the "rinse agent" compartment of the dishwasher to lessen spots? I've been reading so many advantages to vinegar, I was just wondering about this use! May have to give it a try and "post back"!

By Teri (Guest Post)

OK - I'm hooked - I've been using vinegar in the bleach AND fabric softener compartments for "smelly teenage boy" laundry - WOW - what a difference! Also, had some towels that sat in the washer for 24 hours - phewey! One more time through the wash w/ the double hit of vinegar - ta-da - no more smelly towels! Went to the local $1 store and stocked up on vinegar! Plan to read more uses, too!

I'll have to try the vinegar, but I've found baking soda works great as well. I don't measure, but just take the box and shake it once around the perimeter of the washer bin - possibly a quarter of a cup for a large load.