Homemade Christmas Tree Flocking

Category Tree
Instead of buying spray on flocking for your tree, or paying a lot for a pre-flocked one, make your own flocking at home. This is a guide about homemade Christmas tree flocking.

I have looked for spray flocking, heavier than the normal snow spray used for Christmas trees, etc. No one seems to carry it. When I checked on line, cheapest price was $39.95!

Has anyone come up with a crafty idea on making this stuff at home? If so, will you share it? Thanks for your help.

Monica from Northeast, PA

Answers

Best Answer

Here is a technique I use. It's beautiful and stays on the tree well.Use Ivory Snow flakes.Slowly add water and beat with a mixer until thick. You may have to add more flakes or water until you get desired consistency. Use a stiff, dry paintbrush and dab onto branches. Dry.

My big complaint I have is the smell. The tree and house will smell like soap. Maybe a couple of drops of evergreen essential oil will solve this. Haven't tried that yet.

Best Answer

I actually just tried something on a whim. I have a ton of Elmer's glue from my kids and White paint that they use (same as the ones from the school). I mixed them together (more paint than Elmer's) and applied with a paintbrush. It looks great and I have it all on hand. Cost=$0 I just dried it somewhat with a blow dryer just to see how it will look. Fabulous!!!

Best Answer

I just flocked my Christmas tree, something I do every year. But this year I did it different. I use 3 Elmers glue, large shaving cream, 2 tb corn starch. Mixed with mixer, spread on branches with hand. So easy and look wonderful. Best of all the house don't smell like soap. Have fun flocking. P.S. It might take several batches. still cheaper than Ivory soap and no mess.

Can anyone give me ideas on making homemade flocking for our Christmas tree? I was in a car accident and can't take my three grandbabies to the snow for them to have a white Christmas. They are too small to understand, and thought I could at least make snow for our tree. Please tell me how to make the flocking and where to purchase the items that i would need. I really appreciate it. Thanks.

By Debbie

Answers

Best Answer

Hi Debbie, sorry to hear about your accident and I hope you recover soon. I think you could either buy flocked fabric (like they use to drape under trees - available just about everywhere, it's white with a bit of glitter) and cut it into snow 'clumps' and just attach to the tree, or use stuffing (for making pillows) and bunch it up and stuff it around the tree, through the limbs (it should reasonably stick on its own).

Or you could buy the spray-on snow and spray on your tree, but that might be fairly permanent. You did not say if you wanted it to be permanent or not. Icicles and snowflakes(plastic type) also add the "snow" effect. Styrofoam pellets might also be strung together like popcorn strings for added effect.