My Frugal Holiday: Cutting Back At Christmas

Being frugal at Christmas is just common sense. This year has really hit us hard with the prices of medications and food always going up. My Frugal HolidayThere are two of us that really need medicine everyday. It has been reported that a lot of people have had to skip taking medications in order to eat. We haven't been to that extreme yet.

After 16 years of having teeth problems, my husband finally had all his upper teeth pulled. We now must try to get him to the dentist for a top set of teeth. The estimated cost of the teeth will be around $700.00. With this expense, we cannot afford to get our children much for Christmas.

This year our five children will be getting one gift from us about $10.00 each. Since they are married, their spouses will also get a $10.00 gift. (They normally get a $100.00 along with their gift.) This is not really being frugal, it is the way our lives have led us. This is what we can afford and while it is a gift, it should be appreciated as one. So with that said, we are having to be frugal in order to finish out a medical problem.

By Gem from VA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

I know other people whose gift to themselves for Xmas this year is dental work, too! P.S. Perhaps you can get your dentist to make some "temporaries" for you to use until you can afford your permanent dental work. here is also a plan called "Care Credit" which is simply a credit card for medical & dental costs, which we have used for our own dental work, despite having no other credit cards.

Thanks for writing, its always great to be reminded that other folks need to cut back on their spending too... I think everyone this year will understand when their gifts are a little smaller, and appreciate the thought and love behind their present. Times are tight for many, and we all do what we can!

Gem, pharmaceutical companies have programs for people that cannot afford their medications. You should contact the company(s) that manufactures each of your medications and get an application for "patient assistance". This website is a good place to start:

Your children will understand why they are not getting their "usual" Christmas gifts, but why not make what you CAN give them more fun? Wrap each dollar bill in a piece of paper (fancy scrapbooking paper or just plain, your choice), then write a favorite memory you have of that child, or a wish you have for him/her. Tie all 10 wrapped bills with a piece of ribbon, put in a box or envelope, and finish with a little bow. You can also tape 10 one-dollar bills onto a long piece of ribbon, roll up the ribbon as tightly as possible, then put the "roll" into a small box. Wrap the box, put a bow on top, and add a tag with a funny, spiritual, or heart-felt sentiment. Your children will be blessed by whatever you do; making it fun will take the emphasis off the amount spent. Hope you and your family have a very blessed Christmas!

Maybe you can google Affordable Dentures in your area. My dentures broke last May and I was researching online for new ones and found this in Florida (I live in Georgia) It takes only one day and you get your teeth made the same day, and 60 days of free adjustments. I only needed the top teeth and it only cost me $275. There are 3 types to choose from, Economy, Custom, and Premium. The price goes up with each one. The poplar one is the custom and they last for 2 yrs. the rest last longer. You should really check to see if you have this in your area or maybe worth a trip to get them.

Good luck. Oh by the way, I am very satisfied with my dentures.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeDecember 16, 2010
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Man in a Christmas tree costume.
Making a Christmas Tree Costume
Boy Dressed as Christmas Elf
Making a Christmas Elf Costume
Cutting Back Perennials in the Fall