Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

Category Tips
This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

Don't throw out the air fresheners that are in a clear roundish plastic jar with vented lids that have colored scented round balls inside after the balls shrink and are seemingly dried up. Add a little water and allow to sit awhile and the balls will soak up the water and return to normal size! They still smell good too but you could also add a little liquid potpourri or extract or perfume.

Source: worked for me at home.

By melody_yesterday from Sedalia Mo

Can you use liquid potpourri to refill plug in fresheners?

By Martin from Eubank, KY

Answers

Best Answer

Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I am always looking for ways to save money on household cleaning products. I also want my home to smell clean and fresh, and I love using candles and plug-in air fresheners. When you have them in several rooms of your home, however, the cost can add up quickly. Then I discovered you can actually REFILL many plug-in air fresheners!

Plug-in air freshener.I use the Glade plug-in air fresheners. They don't look like they are re-fillable, but if you look closely, the top of the bottle does come off. All you need is a table knife to gently pop it off.

According to this web site the Glade Wisp, Frebreze Noticeables, and Air Wick scented oil plug-in's can all be refilled.

There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind before you start on this project. First of all make sure that the oil that you purchase to refill the bottle with is made to be put in an oil warmer. It will state this on the bottle. Do NOT use lamp oil or any kind of oil that is flammable.

You can purchase fragrance oils very inexpensively at Walmart for about $2.00 for a 2 ounce bottle, even cheaper if you buy a bigger bottle. One 2-ounce bottle will refill at least 2 plug-in's. The average price for a plug-in refill from the store is about $2.00, so that is a savings of $1.00 or more per refill.

You can only refill your plug-in bottle once before you need to throw it away. The wick won't last through more than one refill. You might ask if it is worth the effort, but if you go through 5 or more plug-in refills a month like I do, then it is worth it to use them one more time!

When you are ready to refill the bottle, set it in front of you and gently pry off the top of the bottle with a knife. Set the top of the bottle with the wick still in it on a paper towel and carefully pour the new fragrance oil into the bottle.

Be very careful not to touch the wick with your fingers, and be careful not to get the wick wet. If it gets wet it will expand and you will not be able to get it back in the bottle.

Carefully place the top back on the bottle and snap it in place.

If there are any cracks in the bottle or lid so that oil is leaking out of it throw it away. This could cause a fire hazard.

Can you reuse the Air Wick Plug Ins that have the liquid in them? I really like them and use coupons when I can, but they get used so fast.

By mammakatt from Grabill, IN

Answers:

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

OK, here's the scoop: buy a bottle of simmering oil at Walmart for four bucks, pry off the plastic top of the Airwick bottle, replace the wick with one or two Q-tips, use a small kitchen funnel to refill the bottle, replace the plastic top with the Q-tips on it, and voila. Simply replace the Q-tips when the unit runs dry, and refill the bottle again and again for cheap. The Q-tips are the perfect size for the bottle and warmer, and they wick just right. (08/25/2009)

By LPRANTNER1

I am looking for a recipe for refilling wall plug-ins.

By 5047 from Leesburg, AL

Answers:

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I make my own reed diffusers using diffuser base and fragrance oil that I get at naturesgardencandles.com. Check them out. I refill my own plug-ins using 25% diffuser base (the carrier) and 75% fragrance oil. That way the plugin fragrance and my diffuser fragrance are coordinated/customized and it costs you pennies. You'll finds 100s of fragrances at Nature's Garden Candles. Water won't work as you need something a little heavier as the carrier for your fragrance oil. (11/03/2009)

By tootsiebrown

I have loads of those plug in air fresheners and I have been trying to find ways of refilling them with my own scents. I have tried using water, oil and water mix, oil, scented perfumes, etc. and none of them seem to work. Has anyone found a way of re-filling these with their own scents?

Thanks
Margaret from Swansea, UK

Answers:

How to Refill Your Plug-in Air Freshener Refills

You can easily reuse any kind of refills that previously had scented oil in it. Use only essential oils (purchased from aromatherapy shops) and avoid preparing your own scents unless you
know and tested the composition (not recommended). Essential oils contain highly volatile compounds: (1) and are used in aromatheraphy in various ways, including electric heat diffusers (2). Regarding the fragrancers, they are safe from fire unless they are not held in proper position (3). It diffuses effectively, when not using essential oils that appear too thick.
From my experience, I can tell you that I reused tens of refills successfully, and they smelled just like new. Depending of what brand and type of electric fragrancer you have,
I can teach you something:

1. and other compounds: http://www.nature-helps.com/infopage/engels/component.htm
  2. http://www.aromaweb.com/articles/diffu.asp
  3. The electric diffuser is produced in such a way that the electrical outlet does not to have any contact with the oil vapors. The fragrance filter is heated with temperatures supportable to human touch.
(12/26/2007)

By scentrefill

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I was looking this subject up merely to find some recipes, but I have been to this site frequently and love it, so I thought that I would share that I have refilled the Glade Plug-In (with night light) myself, safely. No fires. No bad or odd smells. Just pure essential oil (8 drops total) and the rest filled with extra virgin olive oil. It smells fantastic. I was even able to pop off the white top with a butter knife, though I would be careful to that end. It is easy to crack the top, rendering it useless. (01/24/2008)

By Pursuer

My wife asked if I could find a way to refill plug-in air fresheners (Wallflower brand). The packaging indicates that they contain essential oils but I'm unwilling to simply experiment with a potential fire hazard. Does anyone have a "recipe" for the contents of these air fresheners?

Answers:

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I don't know about the contents of those plug-in air fresheners but you might consider a terra cotta lamp ring instead. They are easy to refil (you just drip some essential oil on the terra cotta ring) and you can use any scent. They are pretty inexpensive (more than 1 plug-in but they never wear out) and you can get them at most hardware stores or home supply places. You can cut the sometimes pricey essential oils with canola or walnut oil to stretch them too. (07/28/2004)

By Guest

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

I wonder if you could use those scented oils you buy in the craft section of Walmart? Or the potpourri gel that is intended for heat? (07/30/2004)

By Tawnda

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

You should (first) test to see if the essential oil you want to use is flammable or not. The patchoulli oil I use as perfume isn't. I've used drops on lightbulbs, in candles, in simmer pots, even tested directly with a lit match. Just buying new plug-in refills might be a lot cheaper in the long run though, but I don't know this for sure as I don't own any "plug-ins" so I don't know how much the refills cost. What I do know is that essential oils can be rather expensive. Depending on the fragrance, they range in price of ($4 to $8, sometimes more) per half oz. They would need to be used diluted since pure oils are much too strong to use alone. But even then it seems a bit pricey. (09/23/2004)

By Baby Judy

Can You Refill Plug-in Air Fresheners?

Guest Post. I just purchased a 2-count value pack of the Glade plug ins scented oil refill at Wal-Mart for $3.60 plus tax. That is about $1.00 to $1.49 cheaper than buying one at the local supermarket. (01/10/2006)

By victoria