Homemade Air Fresheners

Make homemade air fresheners to help mask or neutralize household odors. This page contains recipes for homemade air fresheners.

Winter is coming and with that the windows and doors will be closed up tight and odors trapped inside. Here are some ideas to sweeten the smell of your home without harmful chemicals:

Source: Things I've learned and done over the years.

By Ann from Richland, WA

Top Comment

When mixing your spray bottle of air fresheners made with essential oils and water, if you add just a little bit of either rubbing alcohol or witch hazel it will assist with the blending and give you a more consistent strength for the life of the bottle. I personally use the 70% rubbing alcohol for this since I like to save my witch hazel for getting rid of bruises and tightening my skin everywhere.

I also decided on the 70% because the 91% just had too much of the alcohol smell to it. I have seen many posts using vodka, but since I don't drink vodka it's not something I have on hand and not worth a special trip to go pick up when I have the rubbing alcohol on hand always

If you take a potpourri pot or a small jar and fill it with packing peanuts, then spray your favorite perfume on it, it will hold the scent and keep the room fresh. You can also use potpourri spray for this.

By Robyn from TN

In the winter months the air inside our homes becomes very polluted. Putting vinegar in water and setting it on a woodburning stove puts vinegar in the air to kill bacteria floating in the air.

By Jill

I was always uncomfortable using the bathroom fresheners knowing that they are chemical. I take a laundry spray bottle, fill it with water and about 20 drops of essential oil which I buy in the health food store (lavender smells good and has antiseptic qualities). Shake before using.

By Ema from Brooklyn, NY

Recently I wanted to freshen up my home and had no air freshener on hand. Instead I took a small pot and placed some water in it, added a few drops of vanilla and some ground ginger.

When someone is coming over to my home and I don't have time to air it out and I don't want that obvious smell of an air freshener spray, I just sprinkle a tiny dash of cinnamon on to my electric burner.

Whenever I want to freshen the air in my home I don't like to use anything that smells like any type of food or spice. Smelling foods or spices in the air turns on my hunger pangs! So I use nature smells.

After carving your pumpkins, sprinkle some cinnamon inside the pumpkin then light your candle. Your house will smell like you're baking!

I had several bottles of body splash and cologne that I didn't care for (gifts from well meaning friends). Instead of throwing them out, I use them as bathroom air freshener and stinky shoe deodorizer.

An inexpensive room deodorizer can easily be made in an attractive canning jar. This is a guide about Mason jar air freshener.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3

I love to use a little cinnamon in water boiling on the stove to make my house smell a little homey. Sometimes when someone calls for a unexpected visit to make my house smell like cookies are baking, I just put cinnamon in a pot with water and put it on the stove to boil.

To freshen the air in your kitchen, especially after cooking fish or cabbage, place a whole, unpeeled lemon in a 300 degree F oven for about 15 minutes, leaving the door slightly open.

One of the best room fresheners I have used is lemon essential oil. I bought a small bottle for under $5 at the health food store. It seems pricey but a very little bit goes a long way.

You can extend those Renuzit or Air Wick solid air fresheners by placing the scented part in a potpourri pot. I just add both the water and the chunk into a potpourri pot that plugs in.

It extends the pretty smell in the house!

Use a wash cloth and roll it in a roll. Sew side together and cut out fire flame and attach to the top with straight pins.

This homemade air freshener is really cheap to make at hime. I got tired of spending a lot of my money that i really didn't have on store bought air fresheners.

Then I thought, "Why not make some myself?"

If you want a room to smell super duper fresh but don't want a big ugly air freshener hanging from your wall, just add a few drops of an essential oil into the bottom of a bottle or jar around your house.

This is a guide about can you refill plug-in air fresheners?. You may be able to refill plug-in fresheners with your favorite scents.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

If you want to freshen the air, just simmer a dozen or so sticks of cinnamon or some cloves in 2 cups of water in an uncovered saucepan on your stove!

Freshen your air for pennies and in a more natural way!

The cheapest way to remove odors from a room is to place cups of white vinegar in the room. It works 24/7 and all you have to do is refill when it evaporates. I use old candle jars that have been used up so that it does not interfere with the decor of each room.

If you grow your own mint, you can gather the sprigs, crush them, and place in a bag or bowl to freshener the air in your home. This is a guide about using fresh mint for an air freshener.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid potpourri add 2 packages of gelatin. Heat until boil stirring constantly. Take away from heat and add the other 1/2 cup of potpourri.

In a small bowl, combine corn meal or flour, salt, and essential oil. Mix well and add boiling water. Add drops of any food coloring and mix well. When mixture has cooled enough to handle, roll mixture into 2-3 inch balls.

Make a pretty air freshener using leftover scented candle wax. It can be cut into fun shapes using a cookie cutter. This is a guide about recycled candle wax air freshener.

Keep your home smelling fresh with a non-toxic natural air freshener using a jar. Learn how to make this homemade jar air freshener in this guide.

This is a guide about use your slow cooker as an air freshener. A mixture of water, baking soda, and a pleasant scent such a cinnamon can be simmered in your slow cooker to freshen the air in your home.

This is a guide about make your own air fresheners. You can save money and control the ingredients in your air freshener by making your own.

This is a guide about materials for making car air fresheners. If you are looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous pine tree air freshener of old, try making your own.

Load More