Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
We bought Glade air fresheners, Pumpkin Spice scent and they are so strong. A friend is having an allergic reaction from the smell. They are staying with us for 3 days. How can I get rid of this smell as quickly as possible? I unplugged them, I have opened doors and windows and turned on ceiling fans. Nothing is helping.
The highly advertised air fresheners like Glade (and products like Febrese, etc.) only mask whatever smell you want to remove. They do not actually remove the smell. They have chemicals like phenol that reduce your sense of smell and use very high amounts of scent so you can't smell the original bad odors but can certainly smell the air fresheners! Also, they do not last more than a month or so. Then you must replace them as your bad odors return.
Most, if not all, of the air fresheners you can buy in the stores are full of toxic chemicals that are carcinogens, immune system disruptors, endocrine disruptors, or nervous system disruptors. The plug-in kind are also expelling oil vapors into the air, and why would you want to breathe that? Please stop using all those products! Below is a link to a web article that explains the harmful chemicals in commercial air fresheners, and suggests natural alternatives for use in the home.