Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

Category Odors
Chlorine bleach is a strong chemical and when used as a diluted cleaner can leave a strong odor. This guide is about getting rid of bleach smell.

My brother recently cleaned a small chest type freezer with a very strong bleach solution. The smell of bleach lingers. What can he (we) do?

By Annelle from NE PA

Answers

Best Answer

Try rubbing the chest with lemon juice. You will need to leave it open for a few hours so it can completely dry out.

Best Answer

Put some charcoal from your BBQ in there and close it up. That should soak up the odor. You can still use the charcoal when you're done.

Anonymous
Best Answer

Try 1 tablespoon Bicarbonate Soda (UK) diluted in warm water. Wipe out the freezer with the solution. Leave the freezer unplugged and open for 24hrs. You can use BS safely and effectively to clean fridges and freezers. Detergents of any kind are not advised.

Bicarbonate Soda is also called Baking Soda.

Best Answer

Only way I know how to rid the odor of bleach from something is to rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse some more with water until gone. That might be difficult since it's winter outside and the most convenient way would be to move the freezer outside. But if you have an area where you could swing it, that's what I'd suggest. Turn on the hose and blast that baby down. If it's taking a long time to rinse it out, let it air dry in between rinsing. While it is air drying, sprinkle it with baking soda. Then rinse again. Repeat until you do not smell bleach anymore. (I'd cover up my nose and mouth with a mask while doing this.)

Best Answer

I would wash the inside of the freezer with straight white vinegar. Let it dry naturally. After it dries, wait about three to five days and wash the inside again with plain warm water. The vinegar will neutralizes the bleach.

Best Answer

Just leave it open for about 48 hours in a room with good circulation. If the room is closed off, put in a small oscillating fan for same amount of time.

I poured bleach on some cement inside of my house. How do I get the smell out?
Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

Never combine bleach and vinegar, even in small quantities.

http://chemistr  -And-Vinegar.htm

I had my outdoor cushions professionally cleaned because they were too dirty for me to tackle. Now they smell very strongly of bleach. Is there any way to get the smell of bleach out of the cushions?

By destin39 from AL

Answers

You can rent an ozone machine (from a rental store). Just run it for 6 or more hours in a small room with the cushions. Ozone penetrates & removes odor without chemicals. An ozone machine can remove all odors from upholstery, fabric & rugs.

Before your do this you might first try using an odor neutralizer (like Febreze Vanilla. It has a very light scent) or put the cushions in the sun for a day, & keep flipping them over. The UV rays should help dissipate the bleach odor.

As one person already mentioned, if you expose your bleach "scented" cushions to fresh air and sunshine, turning them often, then try a bit of Febreze, you should be happy with the results.

Anonymous

do not mix febreeze on the bleach, that is what i did and ugh......i would use a carpet cleaner with water!

How to I remove the smell of bleach in my sink?

By Nabeeha from Markham, Ontario

A whole gallon of bleach got spilled on my laundry room floor which is tile. I have been airing the room out and cleaning the floor going on 3 days and still the smell is there and the smell is going into my bedroom. Help, how can I get rid of the smell?

By GG B

I washed my plastic persiennes with some stuff that has 5 percent chlorine bleach. Now I can smell it in the flat. Is there any way to neutralize that chlorine smell or do I have to wash the persiennes again?

By tomislav from Croatia

If you are using a cleaning agent (called White King or Demostos as used in Australia) containing a chlorine base (chemical name Sodium Hypochlorite), use white vinegar on your hands and the smell will disappear.

By Spoilground from Portarlington, Australia

Editor's Note: Sodium Hypocholorite is also commonly known as bleach.

If you have had to use bleach to get your mattress clean, the bleach smell may linger for a while until it dissipates. This is a guide about removing bleach smell from a mattress.

Mattress

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about removing bleach odors from carpet. Whether it is the result of a spill or a cleaning effort, the odor of bleach in your carpet can be quite strong and unpleasant.

Label of a Clorox bleach bottle.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do I get rid of chlorine bleach smell from my basement? It is coming up into my house and we can't breath, I used too much to get rid of mildew!

Burdeno from Ohio

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

It should evaporate in 3 days as the bleach naturally decomposes and loses it's disinfecting power (02/09/2006)

By Debbie in SC

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

It sounds dangerous to me. Chlorine is very strong and if it is making you sick, make sure you do the best you can to air out the basement and the house. If there are windows down there, leave them open for a few days.

If it is too bad, you may have to go somewhere else for a day or two.
(02/09/2006)

By Susan from ThriftyFun

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I would try using vinegar to neutralize the smell. It is pretty good at doing things like that.

Sincerely, Karen in IN

Editor's Note: Although vinegar is good for getting rid of smells, it makes a toxic gas when mixed with bleach. (02/12/2006)

By jkmiller95

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

Bleach and vinegar are on opposite ends of the pH scale. Here, I neutralize the bleach odor with white vinegar. Since the Editor noted toxic gas resulting from mixing bleach and vinegar, I'd recommend opening all the windows and doors. Place a fan, facing outward, at a window to draw out the fumes.

You might also try spraying the area with Febreze. I got the kind made for taking strong odors out of laundry. You can dilute it for other applications. Diluted laundry Febreze in a spray bottle works on all kinds of odors and was first used while house-training a puppy w/a short memory. (03/06/2006)

By gator10tx

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I've just used Mr. Muscle glass cleaner which contains vinegar to mask a chlorine smell. The vinegar on its own can be as bad a smell as the bleach. (02/29/2008)

By Mildew hunter

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I put way too much bleach in our crawl space, what do I do? (07/22/2008)

By Guy

Getting Rid of Bleach Smell

I would place a fan pulling the air out of the crawl space. I would also use window fans in the house, one at one in pulling air out and one at the other blowing air in and close all other windows, that continuously replaces the air in the house. Then when the odor subsides I would put straight vinegar in a sprayer and spray the crawl space (put a wet rag over your face and work fast), and stay out of the house that day or as long as it takes to dry, leaving the fans on. Once it drys it should be ok. Always use vinegar on molds and mildew because bleach makes it grow back in a toxic form. A couple of bags of charcoal or clay cat litter will also help absorb the odor and toxic fumes. Make sure you get all the pets and people out of that house for now! (07/23/2008)

By Tumpy

Load More