Removing Bleach Smell from a Mattress

Category Odors
If you have had to use bleach to get your mattress clean, the bleach smell may linger for a while until it dissipates. This is a guide about removing bleach smell from a mattress.

I made a big mistake and poured straight up bleach all over my mattress cleaning a stain from dog urine. The bleach turned the top of my mattress a bit hard from the harsh chemical, but also I can't get the smell out. I just let it dry without water. I didn't want to add any more liquid to my bed so I thought it would be OK since a bleach smell usually disappears. This time it hasn't. Do I now add more water to the mattress to try to get the left over bleach smell out?

By Lauren from Austin, TX

Answers

Best Answer

Since you now have both bleach and urine dried into the mattress, I would try something like a rug or furniture shampooer, or a steam cleaner. The bleach would not have removed the urine smell, but merely covered it up. After you have diluted the bleach and the urine with cleaning with water, and then perhaps mild soap and water, you could try the enzyme cleaner for the urine.

How do I get bleach smell out of a mattress?

Answers

Do not wet the mattress. Apply a coating of baking soda and leave for as long as you can before brushing off. You can add some strong-smelling herb like rosemary or lavender to the baking soda.

There is a product called
Nok-Out, which gets rid of odors. It can be ordered from Amazon.