Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing

Category Clothing
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Accidentally getting bleach on clothing will damage the dye and leave a discoloration often referred to as a bleach stain. This is a guide about removing bleach stains from clothing.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

We all know how Clorox spots ruin clothes, recently I splashed Clorox on my black top. I was going to throw it out, then I thought I would try something. I took a Sharpie pen (black or corresponding color) and carefully dabbed it over the Clorox splash. It worked. So now I will get more wear from my top.

By Irene from Williston, FL

If you are trying to get bleach stain out of tan clothing you can use a tea bag to hide the stain. I discovered this trick when I used a bit of bleach to get rid of a stain on my favorite tan jacket.

By Isabelle geczy

The stain got on my jean skirt. It's light, but I would like to fix it. It's a light jean skirt. Thank you.

By Julia

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

I use fabric marking pins to color the bleach spots hope this helps you .

I just wanted to ask if you can help me with my black and white shirt. I really don't know how to get it back to its color and I just made it worst by using Clorox on it. At first, my shirt was stained with another color on its white logo and I tried to get the white color back to white by using Clorox. I never expected to see that my whole black and white shirt was colorless. Its color has faded and it is now a red/orange color, that came from the bucket I put it in with the Clorox. The black and white has completely gone from the shirt. I hope you can recommend to me a way to get the color back :). ASAP thank you.

By Allysa C.

Best Answer

Bleach removes color on fabric. You have removed some of the color of your shirt with bleach so you cannot bring the color back. You can try to recolor your shirt with dye, however, the result will probably be a mottled or blotched color pattern all over the bleached areas. Appears the best plan is to purchase a new shirt.

I have a dark blue polo sweater that I love and spilled bleach on it. Any suggestions on what I can do to save it and not throw it away?

By Kathryn

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If the spots are not very large, you could try to find a marker which matches the sweater's color, and fill them in. If you use a permanent marker, you won't have to do it every time the sweater is washed. If the spots are in a place where some trim would look good, you could get smaller decorative patches or a large one and cover the spots. These would be available at a fabric store. I have used marker to fill in bleach spots on pants, and it worked well. Hope this helps.

Is the sweater cotton? then you can use a colored marker to match & color in the bleach spot(s) if they are not too big. On wool or acrylic use a permanent marker (black will do for small spots on navy.)

I got bleach on a Raglan tee and it turned light blue what can or should I do?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

How can I get a bleach stain off of my favorite sweat pants?

By Siani

Answers

There isn't any way to get bleach stains out, you can try dying them, but in my experience that doesn't work real well, as you still have a lighter spot than the rest of the garment.

The spot isn't something to take out. The color has already been removed by the bleach. I've seen people try to spot dye the bleached area, but it's hard to match. If you're dead set on using this pair of sweatpants, you could try to cover the spot (with a patch/applique), or cut them off to make shorts (depending on where the bleach spot is).

redhatterb is right, nothing removes a bleach stain. Dying doesn't much work either because the stained spot will always be lighter than the rest of the fabric, so the dye won't take right. You can try matching acylic paint....water it down and lightly (with a rag) dab on the spot (put cardboard under or something so that you don't get any paint on unstained areas) removing any excess, let it dry throughly. Or use fabric paint. This won't fix it that great either, but it does make it less noticeable. The good news is this is just a pair of sweat pants and not an expensive coat. If you try the dabbed paint method, I'd advise you to handwash (or wash alone) the pants after that. A painted flower with fabric paint or as redhatterb said, the applique or patch is your next best choice.

I am going to France soon and my dad bought me a lovely Animal top baby blue with fauz fur inside it and i have got a bleach stain on it and he is quite upset because it was 80 pounds. How do i get this out and is it possible? Please help,

nis smith

Hi Nis! Since bleach removes color, you won't be able to get it out....you'll need to put color back in. How big is the stain? If it's quite small, perhaps you can use a fabric pen with a color close to the baby blue. I did that when I got a small bleach spot on a red cotton blouse...I used a red fabric marker...be sure to test to see if color is close. God bless...hope you come up with a solution. The people on this message board are great and hopefully someone will be able to help. Enjoy your trip to France....remind your Dad that it's just a clothing item....his daughter is quite healthy :):)

My first thought is fabric pen. If that doesn't work, is it something that you may be able to incorporate embroidery or maybe a few embroidered patches, (maybe a grouping of leaves w/ embroidered vines.) Something that goes with the animal print theme. Not just one but a few so it's not conspicuous that you are trying to hide something? Hope you find something that works.

My husband's white shirt with red sleeves was affected by a red rug that accidentally got thrown in with the whites. How can we get the pink out of the white part of the shirt without affecting the red sleeves?

I have a white Polester/cotten blend. I was getting the stain out and I used Oxy Clean and then Clorox Bleach pen. The bleach pen left a yellow stain. How doI get rid of the yellow bleach stain?

i didn't know what i was doing and i was using bleach to clean my black converse and they got this weird red/orange spot on them what should i do i need to get be the next 2 hours

<b>Editor's Note:</b> You removed the color from your shoes. Your best bet is to color over the spot with a black marking pen or use some liquid black die and paint over it. Bleach permanently removes the color. Make sure your rinse the bleach out asap or it will continue removing color and make the fabric much weaker.

i need help. i got bleach on my boyfriend's blue work shirt and now it has spots of a brownish orange color. i need to get it fixed before he gets home. can you please help me?

Hey luvyabye, thanks for your fabric pen idea! My husband's new navy blue pant was getting the bleach stain. Should I paint it using the fabric dark blue pen? Does it remove the stain?

That's what happened to my navy dark blue shirt. I'm trying to figure out how to remove it. It has that orange-brownish color in it.

I have a striped lounge dress; the color is white and navy blue. How do I remove a bleach stain from the navy blue part? I tied vinegar, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, and salt, but the stain is still there. Are there navy markers I can buy that might work? Any other hints?

How can I get the color back into my jeans after getting a splash of bleach on them?

By Brittany from Atlanta, GA

I don't think you will get rid of it completely. Even if you dye the jeans there will still be a spot that is a lighter color than the rest of the jeans. Permanent marker will temporarily cover the spot, but my experience has been that the marker doesn't go all the way through the spot and therefore washes out in the laundry.

I am afraid the color has been removed, so it's gone for good. As RedHatterB said, you could try dyeing them, or coloring; but the spot will still be obvious. I think I would be inclined to take them outside, put a diluted mixture of bleach and water in a spray bottle, and carefuly spray them until I had a variety of bleached areas, then (after washing), overdye them with a different color, (or even blue) to make it all look deliberate!

If you do spray a bleach solution, watch out for splashing, and don't spray them anywhere where drips or overspray would harm anything.

Why don't you tie dye the pair of jeans?

Maybe you could find a "Patch" with flowers, design, or a pet you like and sew it over the bleached spot. Of course it depends on where the bleached spot is on the pants.

Use indelible magic markers. Had a rug in an apartment that got bleach spot" sprinkles". I used Artex fabric paints and did not ever see the spots again.

I have a Clorox stain on my husband's very expensive Haverety golf polo shirt.
How can I repair or get the Clorox stain out of this very nice shirt?

How do I get brown bleach stains out of white jeans?

I splashed bleach accidentally on my grey Nike tracksuit bottoms. Any solutions to my problem?

By Gerry from London, Surrey Quays

I have a new pair of Wrangler jeans, on which I have spilt bleach. It has left a small white patch. Can you suggest anything to save my jeans?

By Phil from Jersey Channel Islands

This may sound silly but try a felt marker pen and colour the patch back in. The bleach has lifted the dye so the only way to get the colour back is put some more colour on!

Get you some old fashioned laundry bluing. it works. My mother used to used a blue crayon to much covered the area with the crayon and then ironed with a warm iron. Cover it with a thin cloth first to keep extra off your iron.

Anonymous

I use a colored sharpie pen that is as close to the color of the fabric as possible. In many cases it's still noticable but not as noticable as the bleach mark :-) When I have a white fabric that gets a dark spot I use liquid white-out for paper.

Bleach the entire jeans and wash well, then use Rit denim fabric dye to redye then.

I tried cleaning some shoes of mine (pink and cotton) and I accidentally used bleach and it made a stain, a really big stain. What should I do?

By Janessa R.

My house cleaner dripped some diluted bleach on to my navy cotton skirt and now it has orange marks on it. Any ideas on how to get rid of them? dye? texta pen?

By Sandra

I got bleach my St. Patrick tee and I can't get it out. What should I do? It is my favorie tee shirt. It got on the green part. Does anyone have a suggestion to fix it? I got it for a gift.

I have 2 pair of jeans with bleach spots on them (one just below the waist near the zipper; the other 2 spots on the leg near inseam). I want to cover them with denim colored lace, something inconspicuous. I think I'll like the look of that. I can add some more lace if I think it will make it look like it was "meant" to be there. I've tried fabric pens, no match. It is just as conspicuous as the bleach spot. I've been looking online, but haven't found where I can buy denim colored lace. Thought I could cut it into flower or heart or some shape I'd like. Any help?

By Janice L.

Which dye will do the best to cover up bleach stains (light tan) on brown shorts. My husband was using bleach on something and didn't even realize that it had splashed back on his clothing. I know of Rit and Tintex. Is there anything new that will make these shorts like new again?

I guess the darkest brown should cover, but I've never experimented with dyes before. He actually ruined two pairs of shorts. Help!

By Sharcher

I washed a pair of white jeans and there were blue stains left from the laundry detergent that didn't dissolve. I poured bleach onto the areas that were stained and I then washed them and the bleach left those areas yellowed. How can I get this back to white again?

By Ann from FL

I would try putting lemon juice on the yellowed areas and leave the jeans out in the sun. Normally that will help whiten whites.

Of course you know this now, but you must never pour bleach directly onto clothing. As well as causing this yellowing, it will have weakened the fibers and this will wear holes much more quickly than elsewhere. You should also dissolve the soap in your wash water before adding clothes, as you now know. I don't know if you can remove these marks, as bleach is not a stain, but removes the actual color from clothing, and so it is a chemical reaction. It is not a matter of removing something, like when you spill raspberry juice or coffee on something. Perhaps you should contact the company that made your bleach. I am sure there is a toll free number on the bottle, a customer service line. All products have that now. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Any tips for removing a bleach stain from a white shirt?

Darrylin from Bronx, NY

I got Bleach On My white shirt and nowe its all yellow I live in Canada and the resources for stain removal are not as vast as the are as in the us of a any suggestions?

Is a solution detector used to get bleach stains out of clothes?

By Bill from Philadelphia, PA

I spilled Clorox on my new black shirt. If you use a black Sharpie pen how would you wash it? Would the ink come out? Is there any other solution? Why is it always your favorite shirt?

By Deidra

I have a white ball dress that was used by a family member before me, it's absolutely stunning. Unfortunately it had a few food stains on the bottom so my mother tried to bleach it. It stained it yellow so we decided to dye it a metallic grey.

The dress looks even better, but the stains are a lighter colour giving it actually a nice dip dye affect, but there are some darker patches on the bottom which I think are the normal dress, should I re-dye or use vinegar?

By Beth HD

I have a baby blue striped polo and washed it with whites and now it has a few bleach stains. How do I get it out?

By Dom

Help me! I just tried to clean two parts of my beige/pink pants with bleach and it got whiter. I need help. How can I put my pants back to their normal/beige? They have got two white spots right now D:

By Janine R.

I got a couple of small stains on the side of my needlepoint. It is white Aida fabric. I put a small amount of Clorox bleach on them and they came out. When it dried I now have a yellow stain on the fabric.

I have tried a baking soda paste. I need to just treat the small affected area. I do not want to risk stripping the color out of any of the areas that have colored stitching on them. Help.

By njlhedger from Claysville, PA

I have a pair of white leather shoes with mesh on top. I bleached them and now the meshed part has turned yellow. How can I get the yellow back to white again?

Robin from Selmer, TN

You could cover the mesh with white shoe polish, or liquid paper correction fluid. Stuff the shoes with newspaper before applying carefully.

I have no idea how I would remove this stain. These sweat pants are very expensive, trust me I work for Nike and I really don't wanna throw them away. Please tell me there's a solution for this.

By Josh

I used bleach to remove a mark on a white linen shirt. Now the whole area has turned pink. How do I get it white again?

By Pam A.

Load More