Removing Shiny Iron Marks on Polyester Clothing

Category Clothing
The shiny marks left on polyester clothing by a too hot iron are quite likely scorched or melted synthetic fibers. This is a guide about removing shiny iron marks on polyester clothing.

How do I get iron marks off polyester trousers?

Answers

Best Answer

Polyester is a form of plastic. You're getting the ironing marks because you have the iron too hot and it's burning/melting the material. In the future, turn the pants inside out and iron the wrong side OR get an ironing cloth that protects the clothing from burning. Unfortunately, I learned this the hard way.

I accidently used an iron that was too hot on my polester black pants while pressing the hem. Now I have an area that is shiney on that area of the pants. Is there any help for this or is the fabric simply melted? Any ideas would be appreciated.

By Diannia C. from Defuniak Springs, FL

Answers

I read this somewhere that if you spray the area pretty heavily with white vinegar and then lay over that a damp cloth. Next barely set your iron down on the cloth until there is a little steam coming from the cloth. Iron should be set according to the fabric. Do this for just a few seconds. The shiny area will be gone. Hope this helps.

~Janette~

I have ironed black polyester trousers and have shiny marks on trouseres

boil them???

Isn't boiling poly going to make it curl up and melt?

Anonymous

I wouldn't do it. If the boiling doesn't ruin them, the oil will stain them. Think grease or melted butter stains.

I was wondering if anybody could give advice on how to remove shiny patches on polyester? I was steaming my daughter's school blazer and the iron has accidentally touched the fabric which now has a shiny patch.

Many thanks for any advice given.

Answers

You could try putting vinegar on a pressing cloth and pressing on low heat.

I found this site when this happened to a suit of mine...but sadly nothing worked and I had to get rid of the suit. Hopefully you will have better luck than I did. Polyester is a nasty fabric when things go wrong. Great to wash and wear though!

www.howtocleanstuff.net/.../

Thank you for your advice given much appreciated.have tried all these steps and has lifted the mark slightly,will try it again over the weekend also.many thanks

Thankyoux

This can be a tough thing to remove and generally everyone says to use vinegar but that does not always work (does it?).

I decided to look for some different methods so check out these two sites as they have a little different approach. Be sure to read very carefully the one "vinegar press" as it is entirely different.
Good luck..

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-remove-shiny-iron-marks-from...

coffee-breaktime.com/.../

I have a pair of new black trousers and now I've ironed them, a silver line has appeared. How do you get rid of the silver line? I heard vinegar will do the trick - is that right?

Suzie from Seattle, WA

Answers

I to have a New Pair of Trousers I've Ironed and a silver lines ? Saw someone post Vinegar Helps ,is this TRUE.???

Yes this is true. Next time use a pressing cloth to avoid this problem

I bought a polyester t-shirt and by mistake ironed it, now there is a shiny patch on it. Please suggest a way how to remove that patch.

By YC