Removing Iron Burn Marks on Clothing

21 Questions

I have used an iron which was too hot on a black and cream dress. The black from the dress has gone onto the cream and it will not come off.

Is there anything I can use to remove the marks please?

How do I get an iron print out of knit pants from using too hot of an iron?

By virginia may from Hot Springs, VA

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts

I am so sorry but you can't :-( Is the burn mark on a portion where you might be able to dress it up with a cute patch or some embroidery? Or lower on the leg where you can turn the slacks in to a pair of shorts or a pair of capris?

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 337 Feedbacks

You will have burned and melted the fibers. This is not something that you can fix, except to cover it up. You could check in the archives here on Thriftyfun, as some maintain they can get a scorch mark out if it isn't very bad.

I wouldn't get my hopes up, unfortunately.

Answer this Question

How do you remove hot iron marks from polyester?

By Netty from Defiance, OH

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 270 Feedbacks

This is a burn. Burnt Poly does not get undone.

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 846 Posts

Sorry but there is no way to remove a burn mark no matter what type of fabric. :-(

Anonymous

In the 40s they'd use old coffee grinds. Set on fabric for a while and then steam iron with a cover cloth

Is there a way to remove a burn from the iron from a white dress shirt?

Tina from Bristol, CT

Answers

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 519 Posts

If it's a "scorch" mark from an iron that was too hot & didn't really penetrate the fabric, you can bleach it out using hydrogen peroxide and a press cloth! It's a gentle bleaching process that can be repeated until the stain is removed.

By Julia (Guest Post)

Try hanging the shirt in the sun for a day. Good Luck!

The burn is on a black pair of pants that is 95% polyester and 5% spandex. Just want to be clear abouth the bleaching with hydrogen peroxide.

Answer this Question

I was wondering if anyone knows how to repair a polyester disco shirt? I slightly scorch it using an iron. I know that I should have not have done so. Or maybe the iron was hot. Anyways I "totally love" the shirt and paid a lot for the shirt, it's vintage and as you all know it's one of a kind.

I know it's almost impossible for me to get another. It now has a medium hole in the lower area of the shirt.

I burnt a black cotton dress with a too hot iron, can I fix it? Help!

Maureen from Harrison, NJ

Answers

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 290 Feedbacks

You didn't mention where the burn mark was. Maybe you can purchase a decorative patch in the sewing dept. of a store and sew it on the burn mark giving the dress a new look.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 147 Feedbacks

Put an iron on patch on it from fabric store, good luck.

Answer this Question

An iron was put on a wool sweater and left a mark which has the wool flat and is slightly noticeable. Could anyone advise if ther is anything I could do to get the wool back to normal.

Betty Halifax

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 124 Posts

Hello Betty,
It's quite unlikely to totally restore iron marks on wool but if there was any scorch on the wool, use an emery board to gently rub it away.

Also, if it's a bit flat- try cutting a potato in half and leaving one half on the mark overnight. Next morning remove it and try to buff up the pile.
If this doesn't work, there isn't much else you can do i'm afraid, but i hope i am proven wrong!
Best of luck.

Monique x

Monique your tip of removing light scorch mark on woolen jumper worked so well actually i used a glass emery board so no mess either !!!

Answer this Question

How do I repair a scorched spot on a nylon shirt?

By CM

Answers

Well depending where it is and/or how big it is-you could embellish it with a pin or button design or patchwork & embroidery with lace, buttons, sequins,etc. Or store bought patches: flowers, butterfly's, birds, etc. I don't know how to get rid of it or even if you can. I've saved a few things with this method from holes, and pulls in fabric & stains.

My solution is to cover them up. If it is in a strange spot like in the middle, put a scattered pattern on it (1 here,1 there) to make it even & balanced & no one will know. You will most likely end up with something you really like, & it's a chance to be creative. If you don't want to do this you can try "Ask Helowise " (I think at : Good Housekeeping.com or Ladies Home Journal.com). I hope this helps. : )

Answer this Question

This is a page about removing shiny iron marks on polyester clothing. The shiny marks left on polyester clothing by a too hot iron are quite likely scorched or melted synthetic fibers.

Ironing Polyester

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

How can I remove a press mark on pants?

How do you get an iron scorch mark off of a shirt?

My iron accidentally tipped over when I wasn't looking and scorched a brand new cotton shirt. I tried Oxi-Clean and peroxide, and it didn't get the scorch mark out.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

I was wanting to know does anybody know how to get an iron print out of a polyester black skirt? I tried and I didn't know if there was a way.

Load More

Consumer Advice Clothing RepairingMay 2, 2014
😎
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Iron-Burn-Marks-on-Clothing.html