How to Remove Burn Marks from a Stainless Steel Pot

Category Kitchen
Oven cleaner, sanding disk, or steel wool are all good ways to clean burn marks from a stainless steel skillet. This is a guide about how to remove burn marks from a stainless steel pot.

How do you remove burnt popcorn from stainless steel pots? I have scrubbed with Comet and pads that won't scratch.

By linda from Syracuse, NY

Answers

I don't know for sure about burnt popcorn, but I put a fabric softener sheet into a burnt pot with enough water to cover the burned part and let it sit overnight. The next day it wiped clean with no effort at all. Good Luck!

You can use vinegar and water. Believe it or not, vinegar is a very potent and wonderful cleaning agent. I sometimes bring the water and vinegar to a slight boil and let sit. Works for me every time! Even when I was working in retail, cooking on a flat grill that got up to 450* we used vinegar to clean the grill!

Try Easy Off oven cleaner.

I tried everyone's remedy, as the same thing happened to me boiling eggs, nothing worked. I found a product under my sink called Cameo and it worked quickly and painlessly!

They make a product specifically for stainless steel, but I only had the one for copper and porcelain. It worked great!

Just used the vinegar method today to remove scorch marks from my house mate's stainless 3-qt pot. Thank you, it worked like a charm, and now I don't have to tell him I scorched it or cough up $50 to replace it. Well done- Thank you so much.

I turned the exterior of my calphalon pot yellow by boiling the water out of it. I only had rice vinegar, and I poured it into hot hot dishwater and soaked the pot. It worked beautifully!

Anonymous

Try a bit of vinegar and water heat on stove on low for a few minutes but do not boil

Last week I was cooking and I accidentally put the steel lid on the hob while it was lit. I burned my hand and lost feeling in it, but am gradually getting it back, but also it made scorched purple marks on the lid itself. I had that cooking pot in my family for nearly 23yrs and I just would like some tips on how to remove the purple burn marks thanks.

By Mrs A.

By Mrs A from east london

I just bought a stainless steel skillet. I wanted to sear pork chops. Okay, I did that alright, seared the whole pan. Now my nice shiny skillet looks a mess. I've managed to clean the inside, but how do I clean the underside so that it sparkles again? Please help.

By bluegardenia from Toronto, CA

Answers:

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

There is a product called "Astonish" I believe that it is from England and available on QVC. This stuff is fabulous for stainless steel and your oven as well. (12/22/2009)

By Cyndi Dann

Removing Burns from Stainless Steel Pan

A great way to get burnt on food from the inside of stainless steel pots and pans is to go to the hardware store and get a 3M ScotchBrite sanding disk.

They're made of some kind of light abrasive impregnated plastic mesh. They're used for sanding and removing paint or rust (I used it on my F150). They are about 6 bucks. Put it on your cordless drill and voila! Burnt stuff is gone. And it's not going to scratch it up either.
(12/22/2009)

By SteveLaw

I have an 8qt. stainless steel Farberware pot. I was boiling water and forgot about it. The water boiled all the way out. It burned the bottom of the pot black and a little on the side. How do I clean the inside, the outside is still shiny.

By Toni C. from Delray Beach, FL

Answers:

Removing Burn Marks from a Stainless Steel Pot

Try soaking it in a sink of water that has baking soda in it (maybe a half-cup in a shallow sink of water). (09/20/2010)

By Joanne

Try ammonia, works best for me. (09/22/2010)

By Elaine

Lemon juice always works for me. (09/23/2010)

By Vonne

Whilst steaming artichokes (like it matters), water ran out and burnt the pot. I took everyone's advice and slightly modified to incredible results!

I used 2 parts Javex beach, 4 parts water, two dryer sheets, and left outside for 24 hours. A brief rub after with an SOS pad, and the pot is better than new! (09/29/2010)

By john

Due to my negligence, water dried up in my cooking pot and there are black and rainbow patches of stains on some internal and external surface of the pot. How can I remove and clean them?

By Grace from Boston

Answers:

Removing Burn Marks from Stainless Steel Pot

I would try Bar keeper's friend. It's a powder cleaner in a can like Comet or Ajax. (Gold with some writing on it.) It's about 2$ a can. (02/17/2010)

By Kayla

Liberally pour a little tomato sauce or ketchup in the pan and smear it and leave it for 3 to 4 hours in the pan. The black marks and the rainbow color easily vanishes and you tend to give a new look to your stainless steel pan. (02/18/2010)

By jayasree

I just burnt the inside of my pot. Tried dish liquid and water, it didn't work. Then I thought how borax works on so many things, I heated water and about a tablespoon of borax. This loosened most so I could scrap it with a metal utensil. Now I have a little of Fume Free oven cleaner working on it. (02/20/2010)

By Susan Mickelson

My husband burned the popcorn in my good stainless steel pan, leaving a lot of black marks stuck to the bottom. How do I get these off?

I was heating water in a stainless steel pot and forgot it. It is scorched and burned. How can I get this cleaned?

My daughter used my stainless steel pan when I was out and used a high flame and now my pan is a dark mess. Is there anything that can restore the color?

I was cooking some tea on the range after dinner and completely forgot about it until the morning. By morning, my pot was completely scorched on the inside.