Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware

Try using an oven cleaner on cooked-on, burnt messes in the bottom of stainless cookware. It works better than scrubbing with SOS pads!

By Linda

More Solutions

This idea/tip is to make the handles of your cookware look new again. I KNOW that most cookware makers stress NOT to put your cookware in the dishwasher. BUT, when women are working outside the home, every minute counts when getting the dishes/pots done in the kitchen.

I got this terrific stainless steel whistling tea kettle at the church thrift shop yesterday for $2. It was full of grease and dirt. The black handle had some white residue on it. I figured for $2 I could see how the steel part cleaned up with a soap-filled pad. I assumed the handle would always be stained.

Clean kettle

I find that using liquid bleach on the inside of my stainless steel pans removes tea stains immediately.

To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan and bring to a boil on stove top.

I was reading all the tips on stainless steel cookware. I clean mine with soap pads. It seems the more I scrub the brighter they shine! Just sayin.

30 Questions

I've been told to use WD-40 to clean the burnt stainless cookware I have. Has anyone else ever tried this method?

By Brian from San Francisco, CA

Answers

It is an industrial product and the can says not to be ingested. So I would not use it for cooking utensils, but that is up to you.

If the interior is 'bluish', pour clear Vinegar, place cover on, and heat up to boiling point. Let set for about 2 minutes and pour into kitchen sink.

If more drastic measures are required, use MAAZ S.S. Cleaner [a paste usually found with all the other household cleansers]...absolutely amazing. Then wash with a detergent (or use the vinegar method) to remove any questionable residues.

Never use WD-40 on anything you cook with or eat off of! It's not meant for ingesting in any way, shape or form!

WD-40 web site lists it as useful for cleaning:
* Displaces moisture from guns after cleaning

* Cleans woks after - cleaning
* Cleans blackened skillets - after cleaning

The bottom of the pan should be cleaned as well as possible, then soaked in WD-40 for at least an hour before attempting to clean again. And of course wash the pan again before using.

I have never heard of using WD-40, but would only try it on the outside of the pan while still making sure to clean well with hot soapy water. Bar Keeper's Friend is a powdered cleaner that I have had good luck with for cleaning my stainless steel pots when they get discolored from heat or burnt food.

I have all stainless steel cookware and I was having trouble finding something to use. Then I moved to a mobile home with a septic tank and did some research and found that white vinegar can be used to polish stainless steel. I now use white vinegar in my dishwater to cut grease and polish my pots and pans and silverware.

For the hard to clean pots I use white vinegar and baking soda.

When nothing else worked (vinegar, baking soda, fabric softener sheets... all the usual tips you see), I most certainly did use WD-40! When I purchased my pots and pans, several years ago, I paid almost $500 for them, so, I was not about to send them packing;) A couple of my skillets had deep burn marks. I followed the directions on the can... spraying it only on the marks, then letting the skillets sit (if the marks didn't scrub right off, which they usually don't, right away), overnight, then tried again the next day. Usually, most of it will come off with a little scrubbing. If not, repeat process, untll all marks come off. You will have to scrub quite a bit, but my deep marks eventually disappeared. Afterward, I cleaned the skillets really good, in hot water, with Dawn dish detergent. They were like new, and yes, I have cooked with them since and no, none of us got sick. Hope this helps=)

Not in a million years would I use WD40 to clean pans. I have good stainless too and use easy off on them. WD40 can cause seizures in some people so it is not something you would want to take a chance on.

I fell asleep on the couch shortly after I'd put water on to boil in a Revere Ware saucepan. It's somewhat discolored, usable, but discolored. Any ideas on how to get it shinier? I also, have a frying pan with the same discoloration. It's old, but still usable.

By the way, to get copper bottomed sauce and frying pans clean, there's a great product named Penny Brite by a company called EZ Brite here in Westlake, OH. Website is ezbritebrands.com. The paste really works wonders. The frying pan I mentioned above was my mother's and I've had it at least since the 80's and she had it for years before that. Penny Brite makes it look great at least on the outside.

The inside has seen many a meal. It's still very usable, but the metal has kind of a bluish tint to it. In other words, the metal in it has somewhat discolored. Anyway, any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

By Judy from Willoughby, OH

The finish is very flat instead of shiny inside my stainless steel pan from boiling water to humidify the air. How can I get the shine back?

By Bunny

Anyone have a homemade solution for cleaning stainless steel cookware? My cookware has been darkened by dirty gas burners. The cookware has copper bottoms.

Sylvia from Barbados, W.I.

Answers

The inside of my stainless steel cookware has a tendency of getting discolored, so what I do is pour in a small amount of vinegar and that cleans it up very nicely.

Pour some vinegar and salt on the copper bottom and rub with a dishcloth. The salt acts like an abrasive. You can use any vinegar. The vinegar and salt do a great job in cleaning copper.

Copper bottoms can be cleaned with catsup. The acid from Tomatoes does the trick. Adding baking soda may help the stainless part.

By Alisa (Guest Post)

Get some Bar Keeper's Friend (looks like Comet) from Walmart. Try that. I recently attended a cooking show and that was one of the tips I received.

Tomato sauce also works well. Just coat the pot and wipe it with some paper towels. Repeat as needed.Then wash, rinse and dry. GG Vi

How do I clean a stainless steel teapot with lots of tea stains?

By dasguptat from Kolkata, W Bengal

How do I get black spots, from boiling cloves and cinnamon in water, out of the inside of my vintage Farberware 1 qt. pot?

I am having problems cleaning a pot that has burned cranberry sauce in it. I let the cranberries cook too long. The inside of a Revere pot is now black. How can I clean it?

By EH

I need to clean the bottoms of stainless steel pots and pans. There is some old grease that I can't remove.

By Olga from Tampa, FL

My husband used to be the cook and dishwasher in this house. I just recently took over. I'm trying to get our pots and pans back to new looking. I just saw some black on the lid of the saucepan. I tried to scrub it, but I don't have any scour pads right now. It wouldn' come off. I had just soaked the pan in baking soda, vinegar, and water. I hope the black is not mold from food residue, is it? And how to I get rid of it. I will purchase some scour pads.

By T L

Answer this Question

How can I remove purple stains from stainless steel? It was too close to an open fire, and now I'm struggling to remove the purple stain as a result of this hot fire.

By Stoffel de Beer

Answer this Question

I found my large skillet with lid way back under the sink, which had slowly (for months) filled with water from a slow leak. I managed to wipe away (warm water and dishsoap) most of the rusty gunk, but small black spots (pits?) remain around the lid and a couple places inside. Is it too late to try baking soda or other things?

By stephanie r.

Answer this Question
Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesSeptember 19, 2012
🌻
🎃
🎂
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Stainless-Steel-Cookware.html