Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware

Category Dishes
Daily use can leave your shiny stainless steel cookware discolored or burnt. This is a guide about cleaning stainless steel cookware.

Try using an oven cleaner on cooked-on, burnt messes in the bottom of stainless cookware. It works better than scrubbing with SOS pads!

By Linda

This idea/tip is to make the handles of your cookware look new again. I KNOW that most cookware makers stress NOT to put your cookware in the dishwasher. BUT, when women are working outside the home, every minute counts when getting the dishes/pots done in the kitchen. Thankfully, I am no longer working outside the home. I can focus on looking for new ideas and ways to keep our home bright and shiny with the least amount of effort.

When straightening out the cabinet that holds my cookware several months ago, I saw some really UGLY handles. I decided to try Baby Oil since it is just mineral oil and gentle to babies. I got the unscented kind. Yep, for a dollar at the Dollar Tree. I have used both Q-tips and cotton balls (if I have more that one or two to do). THIS IS NOT A PERMANENT FIX! But it will keep them looking shiny through several washes if you wash them by hand. It surely beats them looking so UGLY!

I just keep the Baby Oil under my kitchen sink and grab a Q-tip from the bathroom when I see one that needs to be re-shined. It only takes very little and I polish off the excess with a piece of paper towel or napkin. I make sure that no Baby Oil gets on any other surface BUT the handles. I felt that this would be the least harmful thing I could use. See the before and after photo. Yes, that was one of my UGLY handles from several months ago. Doesn't it look better?

I almost forgot to tell you that shining them has kept them from NOT returning to their previous UGLY state. I make sure that they look nice and shiny. LOL

By Southeastgeorgiapeach from Jesup, GA

I got this terrific stainless steel whistling tea kettle at the church thrift shop yesterday for $2 (half price sale.) It was full of grease and dirt. The black handle had some white residue on it. I figured for $2 I could take a chance and see how the steel part cleaned up with a soap-filled pad. I assumed the handle would always be stained, but I could live with it.

The lady working there told me to use a Magic Eraser instead of steel wool to clean it. I use the knock-offs from the dollar store. Within 2 minutes the entire kettle, including the bottom and handle, looked like new, and I only used half of one pad.

I wish I had taken before pictures, but you can see the beautiful after results.

I find that using liquid bleach on the inside of my stainless steel pans removes tea stains immediately. You can add a little water if you'd like, but I just pour a small amount in the pan, swirl it around and dump it into the next pan with the stains and works great. I rinse the clean pan immediately so the bleaching will stop right away.

By BonsterBonnie from Maryland

To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover bottom of pan and bring to a boil on stove top.

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

This guide is about cleaning burnt sugar from a stainless steel pot. When sugar is burned onto a pan, it can be a challenge to remove.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Removing burned on food or burn marks from your stainless steel cookware can be difficult. There are products and techniques that will help and not damage the finish in the process. This is a guide about cleaning a burnt stainless steel pan.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Scrubbing a stainless stop pot with a lightly abrasive cleaner like Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend will get rid of any rust stains. That is how to remove rust from stainless steel pots easily.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I was reading all the tips on stainless steel cookware. I clean mine with soap pads. It seems the more I scrub the brighter they shine! Just sayin.

I've been told to use WD-40 to clean the burnt stainless cookware I have. Has anyone else ever tried this method?

By Brian from San Francisco, CA

Answers

It is an industrial product and the can says not to be ingested. So I would not use it for cooking utensils, but that is up to you.

If the interior is 'bluish', pour clear Vinegar, place cover on, and heat up to boiling point. Let set for about 2 minutes and pour into kitchen sink.

If more drastic measures are required, use MAAZ S.S. Cleaner [a paste usually found with all the other household cleansers]...absolutely amazing. Then wash with a detergent (or use the vinegar method) to remove any questionable residues.

Never use WD-40 on anything you cook with or eat off of! It's not meant for ingesting in any way, shape or form!

WD-40 web site lists it as useful for cleaning:
* Displaces moisture from guns after cleaning

* Cleans woks after - cleaning
* Cleans blackened skillets - after cleaning

The bottom of the pan should be cleaned as well as possible, then soaked in WD-40 for at least an hour before attempting to clean again. And of course wash the pan again before using.

I have never heard of using WD-40, but would only try it on the outside of the pan while still making sure to clean well with hot soapy water. Bar Keeper's Friend is a powdered cleaner that I have had good luck with for cleaning my stainless steel pots when they get discolored from heat or burnt food.

I have all stainless steel cookware and I was having trouble finding something to use. Then I moved to a mobile home with a septic tank and did some research and found that white vinegar can be used to polish stainless steel. I now use white vinegar in my dishwater to cut grease and polish my pots and pans and silverware.

For the hard to clean pots I use white vinegar and baking soda.

When nothing else worked (vinegar, baking soda, fabric softener sheets... all the usual tips you see), I most certainly did use WD-40! When I purchased my pots and pans, several years ago, I paid almost $500 for them, so, I was not about to send them packing;) A couple of my skillets had deep burn marks. I followed the directions on the can... spraying it only on the marks, then letting the skillets sit (if the marks didn't scrub right off, which they usually don't, right away), overnight, then tried again the next day. Usually, most of it will come off with a little scrubbing. If not, repeat process, untll all marks come off. You will have to scrub quite a bit, but my deep marks eventually disappeared. Afterward, I cleaned the skillets really good, in hot water, with Dawn dish detergent. They were like new, and yes, I have cooked with them since and no, none of us got sick. Hope this helps=)

Not in a million years would I use WD40 to clean pans. I have good stainless too and use easy off on them. WD40 can cause seizures in some people so it is not something you would want to take a chance on.

When I burn something in one of my stainless pots, before I scrub, I put warm water in the pot, just enough to cover the bottom, heat to boiling and using a spatula scape the burnt stuff off. This cleans the majority off and then let it sit over night with a little dawn and water. Comes clean every time. I also use the Bar Keeper stainless cleaner when I want to shine up the pots.

I fell asleep on the couch shortly after I'd put water on to boil in a Revere Ware saucepan. It's somewhat discolored, usable, but discolored. Any ideas on how to get it shinier? I also, have a frying pan with the same discoloration. It's old, but still usable.

By the way, to get copper bottomed sauce and frying pans clean, there's a great product named Penny Brite by a company called EZ Brite here in Westlake, OH. Website is ezbritebrands.com. The paste really works wonders. The frying pan I mentioned above was my mother's and I've had it at least since the 80's and she had it for years before that. Penny Brite makes it look great at least on the outside.

The inside has seen many a meal. It's still very usable, but the metal has kind of a bluish tint to it. In other words, the metal in it has somewhat discolored. Anyway, any help anyone can provide would be appreciated.

By Judy from Willoughby, OH

Answers

Pour some white vinegar in the pan and add some table salt and rub with a cloth or sponge and it should take care of the blue tint on the stainless steel.

Barkeeper Friend is a mildly abrasive powder that cleans nearly any metal.

Catsup. For the outside of the pan on copper bottom on burns etc. rub it on, let it sit a little, then using a sponge or damp cloth, start rubbing off any leftover stains. I'm not sure about discoloration on the inside though.

Pampered Chef makes a stainless pot & pan cleaner which works very well. We have well water & whether that is why my ss pots stain or what, I don't know but this product works. The last bottle I bought cost $9.95.

When I burn food in my pans and can't get it out I spray them with Easy Off Oven cleaner - fume free and it works cold not in a hot oven. You could also use their other product for Bar-B-Q grills. Let the pan sit overnight and then wipe it clean with a paper towel the next day. This has worked on stains too.

I've found a wonderful product called Bar Keeper's Friend and it is great for cleaning all my stainless steel posts and pans. I also use it to clean my sink. Good Luck.

The finish is very flat instead of shiny inside my stainless steel pan from boiling water to humidify the air. How can I get the shine back?

By Bunny

Anyone have a homemade solution for cleaning stainless steel cookware? My cookware has been darkened by dirty gas burners. The cookware has copper bottoms.

Sylvia from Barbados, W.I.

Answers

The inside of my stainless steel cookware has a tendency of getting discolored, so what I do is pour in a small amount of vinegar and that cleans it up very nicely.

Pour some vinegar and salt on the copper bottom and rub with a dishcloth. The salt acts like an abrasive. You can use any vinegar. The vinegar and salt do a great job in cleaning copper.

Copper bottoms can be cleaned with catsup. The acid from Tomatoes does the trick. Adding baking soda may help the stainless part.

Get some Bar Keeper's Friend (looks like Comet) from Walmart. Try that. I recently attended a cooking show and that was one of the tips I received.

Tomato sauce also works well. Just coat the pot and wipe it with some paper towels. Repeat as needed.Then wash, rinse and dry. GG Vi

How do I clean a stainless steel teapot with lots of tea stains?

By Dasguptat from Kolkata, W Bengal

How do I get black spots, from boiling cloves and cinnamon in water, out of the inside of my vintage Farberware 1 qt. pot?

I am having problems cleaning a pot that has burned cranberry sauce in it. I let the cranberries cook too long. The inside of a Revere pot is now black. How can I clean it?

By EH

I need to clean the bottoms of stainless steel pots and pans. There is some old grease that I can't remove.

By Olga from Tampa, FL

Answers

There's a powdered abrasive cleaner called Bar Keeper's Friend. There was just an article about this on Lifehacker:
http://lifehack  ine=true&s=i

My husband used to be the cook and dishwasher in this house. I just recently took over. I'm trying to get our pots and pans back to new looking. I just saw some black on the lid of the saucepan. I tried to scrub it, but I don't have any scour pads right now. It wouldn' come off. I had just soaked the pan in baking soda, vinegar, and water. I hope the black is not mold from food residue, is it? And how to I get rid of it. I will purchase some scour pads.

By T L

How can I remove purple stains from stainless steel? It was too close to an open fire, and now I'm struggling to remove the purple stain as a result of this hot fire.

By Stoffel de Beer

I found my large skillet with lid way back under the sink, which had slowly (for months) filled with water from a slow leak. I managed to wipe away (warm water and dishsoap) most of the rusty gunk, but small black spots (pits?) remain around the lid and a couple places inside. Is it too late to try baking soda or other things?

By stephanie r.

My husband has been using steel wool pads to clean my All-Clad pan. Can it be restored or is the finish ruined?

By Helen

How do I clean a stainless steel pot that has been boiled very dry?

By Ina

How do I clean my stainless steel roasting pan, especially around the corners?

By Janet

Answers:

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

Bar Keepers Friend. It is the best cleaning product on the market for stainless steel. Your cookware will look like new. It is in grocery stores in the cleaning department. Awesome! stuff. It keeps my Princess House Cookware looking brand new. It comes in liquid form or cleanser type. (02/28/2010)

By Kathryn777

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

SOS, soap filled steel wool pads, along with a little elbow grease will keep them clean and bright. Use them to clean those corners each time you use the pan and you won't get that heavy baked/burned on grease that's so aggravating to scrub off. My baking pans and cooking pots have been in use for over 40 years and they still are shiny and new looking. I'm never ashamed for folks to see them. (03/01/2010)

By Grandma Margie

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

If you know someone who sells Pampered Chef products, ask about the stainless steel pot cleaner. It is a liquid and not much is needed to clean pans. Works great; looks like new. (03/03/2010)

By Indianone

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

Again Barkeepers Friend. Ive been using it on my 35 year old Revere Ware inside and out for years. It works great even on the copper bottoms. My pots look so good I hang them on a rack when not in use. (07/13/2010)

By nineleven47

I got busy and forgot a small stainless steel sauce pan on the stove. It is the heavy duty kind called Lustre Kraft. It was on the burner with nothing in it for quite a long time before I noticed it. When I finally took it off the burner, it was very discolored, not burnt, however. I tried cleaning it with soft scrub and I thought the stain was gone, but when it dried, the stains are still there, like dark blue and dark stain. How can I clean it and get it back to the shiny stainless steel color again?

Thanks for your help.
Linda

Answers:

Dark Blue Stains on a Stainless Steel Pan

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser! I used it on my pans. It makes them shiny and looking new. Just try it, you will be shocked! (08/21/2005)

By 4crystal2005

I used Stainless steel cleaner, and it came right out. Thanks for the tip, however.

Linda (08/22/2005)

By Linda Watters

For any pan that has been stained, especially white porcelain, rub the spot with toothpaste or with baking soda. Let dry overnight. Wash in hot soapy water and dry as usual. Always works for me. (08/31/2005)

By Walker

We've done this too. Borax works great for this also. The bottom of the pan is like a mirror again. (02/21/2009)

By Mywaywks

Put a couple spoons of baking soda and some water, bring to a boil, and then rinse and dry. Most of the stains should come out. (03/01/2009)

By Sabby

My pots and pans are very dirty. Other than a blow torch, what's the easiest way to get them shiny clean?
Thanks in advance.

By Brenda from Charlotte, NC

Answers:

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

I own a set of stainless steel cookware, and I clean the insides with some salt and vinegar. At other times when the pots/frying pans start getting discolored, use a little bit of white vinegar and wipe down. The vinegar does a super job in cleaning. (01/29/2010)

By MCW

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

If they are stainless steel, use Easy Off oven spray. They will look like new. (02/03/2010)

By Ann

I have new Paula Deen stainless steel cookware with stainless interior. Specifically, the "butter melter" one quart pan is no longer beautiful. My husband heated soup in it and then stuck it in the sink. It looks dull and spotty on the inside now. What is the best way to restore good looks on the inside?

By Bluey from Laramie, WY

Answers:

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

If you can find in your grocery store a cleanser called CAMEO you may want to try it.
Made by Church and Dwight Co of Princeton, New Jersey.
It is a dry powder-type cleanser that works great on my metal things. We have well water and have to deal with mineral stains; this product is excellent for this, but I have a hard time finding it. When I find it in a store I get several canisters. I have only found it in Weis Markets (in the Northeast), and once in Home Depot (years ago). Good luck. (12/06/2009)

By Pinksa

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

I clean the inside of my stainless steel cookware with some salt and white vinegar. The salt acts as an abrasive and the vinegar removes dullness and spotting. (12/07/2009)

By MCW

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

I use Brillo or SOS pads on my stainless. (12/07/2009)

By MartyD

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

I don't know about this stainless cookware, but I have a few brands and buy some of this cleanser called: Barkeepers Friend or Bon ami. Use something that won't scratch fine plastic or non-stick. it needs to be gentile. These cleansers clean without scratching. Contrary to popular belief, you can scratch the surface of stainless, this causes things to stick more the next time. If you do it often enough, it can become so scratched, everything will stick.

Don't use S.O.S or Brillo, these will make fine scratches in the surface. Then you've ruined good cookware. I have Viking pots and skillets. I cook everything in them, they do not stick. So to keep the new surface of stainless, don't use anything that "will" scratch; Brillo, S.O.S and Scotch-brites will mar the surface. (12/09/2009)

By c t

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

When I get cooked on grease on my pans, I have a dish pan with dish soap and water softener in it. I just soak for a day or so, depending on the degree of grease, and use a pad or something like for non-stick. The dish thing I use and have used for years, is a cut up nylon bag for dedicates in the laundry. It's the kind with big holes. It does not fray or anything. I've used the one I have for over 10 years. It also don't scratch anything. The water softener cleans grease and crud really well. (12/09/2009)

By c t

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

Some of my stainless pans are over twenty years old. They look like new. I clean them with Easy Off oven cleaner. There is no other way as far as I am concerned. (12/09/2009)

By Ann

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans

Thank you one and all. The baking soda worked great and with no abrasion. I will try the oven cleaner on one of my older pans. Merry Christmas. (12/10/2009)

By Bluey21

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pans. I want to say thank you to all that helped me with the cleaning of my stainless steel pans.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.