Cleaning a Curling Iron

Category Miscellaneous
Hairspray and other hair products can build up on your curling iron. Cleaning your curling iron will prevent this build up from transferring to your hair and ensures that the iron heats up evenly. This is a guide about cleaning a curling iron.

Use oven cleaner to clean stains from windows. Spray the glass, let it sit 5-10 minutes then wipe.

Use iron cleaner to clean a sticky curling iron and flat iron.

Source: My daughter

By Monica from Cortez, CO

Tips for cleaning curling irons. Post your ideas.

Answers

For burnt on hair spray on your curling irons I used some easy off oven cleaner. I just sprayed the irons and let the solution sit for about 30 minutes (longer if they are really really dirty.) Then I used a copper pot scraper and presto! Clean just like new.

By LILLIE CAIN

When I usd a curling iron, I used rubbing alcohol to clean them. With the iron off and cold to the touch of course!

Try Steel Wool....I use this to clean mine, and the curling iron looks brand new.

try some lemon juice!:)

70% alchohol

How do I get hairspray off a curling iron?

By Beverly from Oswego, NY

Answers

Have you tried swabbing it with alcohol (make sure it's unplugged first!), I think the alcohol may dissolve the hairspray.

I also use alcohol too. I take an old sock and put the alcohol on it and it dissolves the hairspray.

Anonymous

As a retired hairstylist of thirty years I can honestly tell you the easiest way is to plug in the curling iron and have on the highest heat setting. Take a rag and make sure it's triple folded (to keep you from getting burned), wet it, squeeze most but not all of the water out. 'Unplug' the curling iron and immediately start wiping the iron with the damp rag. You may need to do it two or three times the first time out but after that it will only take once if you maintain on a regular basis :-) The same thing works for a clothes iron too ;-)

I use shampoo on a slightly wet cloth to clean hairspray off of things. A little goes a long way.

Does anyone have any ideas on cleaning curling irons? Mine work fine, but have dried hairspray and setting lotion on them. They look terrible. Just wondering if there is a way to clean them.
Thanks

Vicki from TX

Answers:

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Use what you have handiest and most easy, hair shampoo. It removes it from your hair, it will do the same for your curling iron. (06/17/2008)

By Cariboo Lady

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

My daughter has a CHI flat iron and she was told to clean it with alcohol when it is either hot or cold. She says it works. (10/11/2008)

By Lisa

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Use "Totally Awesome", a cleaner found at the Dollar Store for $ 1.00 per spray bottle. It works great. This stuff is so good it will take the paint off of walls. (06/17/2009)

By kkharp

Cleaning Your Curling Iron
How do I get hairspray off my curling iron?

Angela from AL

Answers:

Oh, thank you so much. The idea for the rubbing alcohol worked great. I have had to spend about $200 in replacement ceramic straight irons in the last year because the hairspray gets so bad I can't get my hair through it. I just cleaned my iron with some cotton swabs and rubbing alcohol and it came right off. Thank you for your wonderful suggestion. (08/24/2007)

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Actually Nail polish remover was enough to clean off my curling iron, but it was also just a thin coating. Pretty much any alcohol-based cleaning product will work.

Rose

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

Damp cloth! Don't scrub too hard to scrape off ceramic! (02/03/2007)

Suzanne

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I wet a cotton ball in rubbing alcohol and rub it on mine. It dissolves the hairspray almost on contact, and dries just as fast. (11/10/2006)

susanmaj

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I have used oven cleaner with great success! It takes off that burnt on mess!(10/31/2006)

Pam

Cleaning Your Curling Iron

I just take a wet (but not dripping) washcloth and roll it around and under the clip part of the iron and then all around the barrel again and just let it set for a few minutes. I do this with the curling iron hot but UNPLUGGED! When it is cool enough to touch I just rub the washcloth around and all the hairspray gunk wipes off of mine. No need for special cleaners, just use water and let it "steam". (10/28/2006)

Grandma Margie

Tip: Cleaning Your Curling Iron

To clean hairspray from a curling iron, even teflon coated, spray a little De-Solv-It on it, wipe with a paper towel, and you are finished. I tried this after trying alcohol, baking soda/water paste, fingernail polish remover, and ammonia. It was SO easy! (10/27/2006)

By Amanda from Copperas Cove, TX

To clean hairspray from a curling iron, even teflon coated, spray a little De-Solv-It on it, wipe with a paper towel, and you are finished. I tried this after trying alcohol, baking soda/water paste, fingernail polish remover, and ammonia. It was SO easy!

By Amanda from Copperas Cove, TX