Hair Curling Tips

Category Hair Tips
Whether using a curling iron or rollers there are things to learn to get the curl you want. This guide contains hair curling tips.

Tips

Share a TipCheck out these tips or, if you have something to add to this guide, click to share your own tip!

This is a beauty tip for all you ladies out there. This morning I was having trouble with my hair, as we all do at times. I was using a curling iron but it just didn't seem to be holding the curl. Well, we were staying in a hotel room overnite and right by my plugin was a small dryer on the wall. I got a nifty idea.

I curled my hair up in the curling iron like you normally would and the took the little blow dryer in the other hand and turned it on high and went back and forth over the length of the curling iron barrel (keep in mind you have to already have curled your hair up in it.) I counted to about 20 and let it go and wahlaa. I have the most beautiful, full of body curl ever!

My mom commented on how amazing my hair looked and asked me what I did and I shared this tip with her. Try it! It's just as good as hot rollers!

By Laura from Ooltewah,TN

This is for anyone that still puts curlers in their hair. When I was working years ago, I hated sleeping on curlers and I found out this works perfectly. Brush hair then use your curlers as usual, just don't use any water at all.

When finished, soak a hand towel completely with water, then wring out, put towel on hair so that it covers all the curlers. Press the wet towel on each curler and hold for one second. Then take towel off your head and complete your makeup routine.

By the time you are finish with your face, your hair curlers can come out. Your hair will be dry and ready to style. It is the dampness that curls your hair. No more leaving curlers in for half the day. Hope this helps you as much as its helped me.

PS. If you have really thick hair, just wet the towel more so more moisture gets into the curl.

By GAILDARLENE from Toronto, Ontario

I use a straightener to curl my hair. You basically do the same thing, but instead of wrapping your hair around the object, you straighten it and then you just curl it. If you have any more questions, just look it up on youtube It's really simple and so much faster and it works really good in my hair. I have long thick hair so just trust me on this.

I have a hard time curling my hair with a curling iron. My hair isn't that thick or anything, and I can curl my hair over night in roller things. I just need a good tip to curl my hair and make it stay for the day.

By Shelby B.

Answers

Best Answer

My sister is a former hair stylist, and when I would complain to her about that, she always told me to use mousse in my hair before using the curling iron. It does eventually make the curling iron really messy. For my hair I also found it worked better if I used a skinnier curling iron. My sister also sprayed the hair with hair spray after curling it.

Best Answer

I have really think straight hair and I use a flat iron to curl my hair. The curls stay for all day and then some! My har is still even curly the next day after sleeping on them.

Best Answer

I had the same issue! A beautician told me about "thermal spray". It is made to protect your hair when applying any kind of styling heat (curling iron, flat iron, etc). Many different companies make it, but it is available at WalMart! The best $5 I have spent in years! Of course I still use some hair spray with it, but just follow the directions. Tip: All of the "thermal sprays" have an odd trigger-like nozzle on them. Hope this helps!

I have attempted the flat iron trick previously, without success :(

Best Answer

My hair has a hard time holding a curl as well, but I have been able to make it happen a few different ways.

The first way, and the least time consuming, is to use a straightener - I have one that's about 1.5" wide. I let it heat up, grab a section of hair about 1" x 1" (doesn't have to be perfect), clamp the straightener about 3" from my scalp, then roll the straightener half a turn towards my head, so the hair is folded around one side of the straightener. I pull the straightener through gently (don't clamp too tight but you want both plates touching the hair) and kind of slowly, giving an extra twist at the very end. It works like curling a ribbon on a present.

The second way is to use a curling iron, and after each section is curled, while it's still hot, I roll the hair around a velcro roller. I get all of my hair curled and up in the rollers to cool, then go about the rest of my business - makeup, lotion, perfume, get dressed, etc. My hair is the last thing I worry about from that point on. Once I'm done and everything else is taken care of and ready, I take the rollers out and lightly spray the curls with hair spray. Alternatively, and I've found this way doesn't work quite as well but it could be faster - use a straightener to heat your hair up and then roll the hot hair on the rollers, section by section.

The last way, and I love the curls I get from this except that they don't start high enough and I don't get the volume at the roots that I like, is to twist your hair while drying it. I section my hair into 4 sections, two on each side, twist the sections away from my face, and keep twirling it while I blow dry my hair. This gives big loose waves on the bottom half of your hair that look beautiful and stay all day, provided you dry your hair thoroughly while twirling each section.

Best Answer

A friend told me to pin up the curls with bobby pins after curling them with the iron. So after every curl you roll it up and pin it the spray it with a little of your favorite hairspray. After you've completed every curl give your whole head another spray and let it dry about 10 minutes. Then take the bobby pins out and finger comb them a little. The key is not to use too much hair spray or your curls will look unnatural. Another tip would be to curl the top of your head first then down to the bottom layers. I did this for graduation and my hair was still curly the next day after sleeping in it.

When you wrap your hair in the curling iron is the curling iron on? Or off?

By Alex from TX

Answers

Best Answer

It has to be on to curl your hair and it has to be hot. I use a kitchen mitt to keep it from burning my fingers - I always touch the thing by accident - every time! I lay it down on a heating pad between curls since I have to lay it down to gather the hair for the next curl! Good luck!

My hair is uncurlable! I cannot curl it with a curling iron at all, and its not that I'm bad, its my hair it just won't hold the curls, does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Answers

The answer to hard to curl hair is to get a body perm. I also have the same problem.

I was going to submit a question on this myself. My hair won't curl either. It won't even hold a curl with a permanent. I was wondering if those curling shampoos and sprays work. They're kind of expensive so I'd like to know before I buy. Help Kim and I out!

There are two types of perms, acid and alkaline. An alkaline perm will curl anyone's hair because it's a stronger perm which produces a tight curl. Whereas an acid perm is used when the client is looking for body and a looser curl.

Have you ever noticed gray haired older women with perms where the curl is very tight. The hair is wound on small sized perm rods in circumference and an alkaline solution is applied.

I'm a licensed cosmetologist and I learned about perms when I was enrolled in beauty school years ago.

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the perms that you find in your local drug store are not like the perms that are made for the professional stylists. There is a big, big difference.

I'm not familiar with the curling shampoos and the sprays that you mentioned.

What you could do is try some syling gel or mousse after you've given yourself a shampoo. While your hair is still damp, rub the styling gel or mousse through your hair and let it dry. Then try curling your hair with the curling iron. The styling gel will definitely give your hair some body so it will curl.

I have good luck curling my hair with electric rollers. When my hair seems really unmanageable, I leave the cream rinse off that drags down my fine textured hair and then it curls better too.

I also have thin limp hair. Perms do not last long. So I quit paying for them at the salon for them just to relax in a couple of weeks. The only perms that will last in my hair are the Lilt perms and I have to get my Mom to put them in at home. The salons will not use them because they are so harsh. Since my my mom cannot use her hands much anymore, I just curl my hair with a curling iron and spritz it with hairspray as I am waiting for the iron to set the curl. I also use a product called Freeze-IT(hairspray) available from Walmart to hold my hair during the day. But please don't use that on the curling iron. It is too strong. Hope this helps.

Hi, I also have hair that won't curl. If I get a perm at a hair salon it will not hold. I make sure that they will reperm it for free before I get the perm. I tell them that I have very hard to curl hair, so they use small rods. I go back after 2 days to show them that the perm did not hold. They get upset, and make an appointment to reperm my hair. Then it will hold a little bit of curl. You should only do this if you have healthy hair, because having 2 perms is hard on the hair. Sometimes, I perm my hair at home. This also takes 2 perms to have any curl in my hair. I have not found any gels, mousses, or hairsprays that will hold curls in my hair. Loretta

If you add moisture or steam with the curl, then wait until hair is dry, curl will hold better. Also better to try style gel when hair is damp, that will add to your curl potential. There are hot rollers with steam, or I have a curled barrel "styler" that is like a low-powered blow dryer. It has a 2 inch brush attachment on the end; I use it on damp hair and dry and curl at the same time. I use it mainly on the ends. It is by Revlon and I got it at KMart. HTH!

HEY, my hair is thick and straight as a board and it wont curl that good eather so I use sponge rollers I put them in the night before with damp hair and I sleep with them you may think that you wont sleep very good with them in your hair but it's actually not that bad you can find them at any sallys kmart sometimes and I think walmart :)

I have very long, baby fine and straw straight hair. If I do nothing with it it looks greasy within hours. Perms work some but to be honest with my length of hair I just can't afford $100 or more at the stylist.

This is what I do.

I shower in the evening and blow dry my hair alittle just to get the dripping to stop. Then I section my hair into 4 sections and braid it. I sleep on it like that and by morning its dry or almost dry and I very carefully take them out. This gives me all kinds of body and that wavy kinda look. Works for me and its thrifty and I dont have greasy looking hair anymore!

I HAVE STRAIGHT hair. I have tried everything on the market, including perm$
The only way I can get curls n my long hair is to braid it in many braids for lots of curls or big braids for just waves. (Braid one small braid at the very top center or crown of your head, to blend in the roots...when it falls it will blend in all your curls after its dry.)

I braid it while my hair is wet or damp. I use styling gel too. Then after I braid it, I spray it with hair spray. No particular type.
The next day, I take out the braids, use my FINGERS to comb it gently, then spray with hair spray again. It will last 2 or 3 days! No oily mess!
***tip: curl the ends with a small curling iron so it doesn't stick out straight on the ends when dry to give it a professional permed style.
I did this on my wedding day and it was beautiful!

OMG my hair is the same way. You can actually hear it resisting the curling iron. The answer is a perm. You won't believe the difference. Believe it from someone who has the straightest most hard to manage hair without a perm ever!. Good Luck. Janette

Hey guys I started this and I have found my solution, 2 actually.
My first one is that I add to my wet, brushed hair herbal essences totally twisted curl boosting mousse. redken outshine 01, Got2b curling spray, then i scrunch my hair lightily, i sleep with it then when i wake up its dry and i add a little more redken and tiny bit of garnier fructis surf hair texture paste. This works great!

My next solution is adding the same redken product when my hair is wet/damp a little of the got2b curling spray then braid my hair in 2 braids, i sleep with is on add some more redken( I add this because my hair frizzes when i sleep on it) My hair will still be slightly damp so sometimes i use a blow dryer on its lowest setting for a few minutes and i lightly brush with my fingers.

Do you have your curler on when you take the blow dryer to it or just wrap your hair around it?

By M.F

Answers

Best Answer

No just wrap it around the curling iron while drying. Turning on the straightner could damage your hair and make it brittle when using it in wet hair. I suggest you don't use it.