Restoring the Nap on Velvet

Category Clothing
As long as it isn't too damaged, it is possible to somewhat restore the nap on velvet. This is a page about restoring the nap on velvet.

I have candle wax on my velvet couch. I got some of the wax off with the iron and paper towel method, but it left the velvet crushed. So how do I get the velvet back to its original texture?

Answers

Best Answer

Put an ice cube on it. Leave it until the ice melts and then fluff it up.

Best Answer

You can also try ice cubs on the area to get off the rest of the wax. When the ice melts it is possible to peel off the way. Now let it dry and use a soft brush to brush the area to fluff back up the fibers.

Best Answer

I fixed velvet on a dress once with a hard bristle toothbrush...clean and dry. Gently rub the nap in small circles to fluff it. I hope it works for you! Post back with an update.

Best Answer

Use an ice cube to loosen the remaining wax. Blot the area to remove excess water.

There are several methods that can be used to 'fluff' your velvet but you might want to contact the company (brand) that made your sofa or contact the store where purchased as they usually have blogs available with good instructions on how to do this as well as other useful information.
The reason I suggest this is because there are several different types of material that can be used in making velvet and sometimes the best method for refreshing your velvet could depend on what type of material was used.

The following method is sometimes used.
Fill a steam iron with water and set it to high. Place iron about 1 inch above the spot but take care NOT to touch the iron to the fabric.
Then just move iron above (1 inch) the fabric.
The steam will add enough moisture to help the fabric loosen up and fluff.
You can then use a soft toothbrush to gently brush the fabric against the nap.

The following site has some good suggestions for keeping your velvet sofa looking nice.

homeguides.sfgate.com/fix-velvet-nap-upholstery-102670...

I had on a brand new velvet top and held up a lit birthday cake too close to my top. The fabric did not get a hole burned in it, it just changed colors and you can see a round spot where it is lightly singed. How can I restore the original color/fabric?

Answers

Best Answer

As long as the nap is not too damaged, you should be able to cover it with colour - ink, crayon, even paint. You may have to replace the colour frequently. Getting a match may be difficult - try combining colours; a bit like painting!

Can the nap on steam pressed velvet be restored?

By Linda from SLC, UT

Answers

No

I have a pair of silk velvet pants that I adore. However, they are several years old and the backside and crotch areas have become matted and shiny. I there a way to restore the nap? I thought perhaps some sort of steaming/brushing?

Thanks for any tips.

By Morgan from NY

Answers:

Restoring the Nap on Velvet

Most dry-cleaners have dealt with this before so you could take the item into several dry-cleaners for a consultation. If you use steam, you'd need to make sure it was not hot and only slightly warm, especially if the velvet is synthetic (like polyester). Do not touch the iron to the fabric. Velvet and velveteen come in silk, rayon, cotton, polyester and blends of any of these together. It depends on your fabric content as to what you'd do to try and fix the situation.

If it were me, I'd lay the garments flat then spray a slight mist of water, then brush with a regular bristle brush or a toothbrush to help restore the nap. After it looks the way you like, leave the garment until it totally dries then turn it over and fix the back. It may help if you stuff the pants with several towels to give the rump more of a rounded and life-like look.

Read the tag, if your pants are washable and made of washable polyester, you might want to try washing them (and/or just misting then drying them in your dryer if the label says it's okay) or just spraying them with water in the flat areas then fluff them in the dryer on very low heat. Don't try this if the fabric is silk or rayon because it will only make them worse. Be sure to remove your garment from the dryer right away, as soon as it goes off!

Changing them to crushed velvet:
If your pants are made of silk or rayon once you wear them again the nap will just go flat again. One way you could fix the problem would be to turn your pants into "crushed" velvet. All you would need to do is spray your garment with a misting of water all over the front and back, then turn them inside-out and spray lightly with water again.

After the misting you'd wring the pants with your hands to crush the velvet and leave them in a bunch overnight or until they are totally dry. No one will know that the velvet didn't come this way (as crushed velvet) when you bought the item.

If you don't like the way the crushed velvet turns out, simply repeat and crush it again, twisting the material in the opposite direction. You can keep misting then crushing the velvet again and again, as much as you'd like until you are happy with the way it looks. If the fabric is too flat after you crush it, just spray it lightly with water, then run your hand or a hair-brush back and forth over the misted fabric. You can also put the sprayed garment into your dryer on warm or cold to fluff them up a bit.

By turning regular velvet into crushed-velvet, I have gotten the use out of several things including a cute black top I'd thought I'd never be able to wear again. (12/17/2009)

By Cyinda

Restoring the Nap on Velvet

You can try this method, and see if it works: Fill your steam iron with water and set it to high steam. Then, just run it above (1 inch) the fabric. Take care not to touch the iron to the garment. The steam will help the fabric to loosen up and blossom. Then, use a soft toothbrush to gently brush the fabric against the nap. I tried this with an old velvet embroidered handkerchief, and it worked. Good luck! (12/17/2009)

By Roopa Chandrasekhar

Home and Garden Repair ClothingMarch 16, 2017
😷
🌻
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Restoring-the-Nap-on-Velvet-2.html